You Are Under My Spell

BpCorey

Oh yeah, and anyone that thinks that NYC rats the size of cats are big....you've never been to the Philippines or Hong Kong have ya? :fear: Those critters wear leathers, ride scooters and all have tattoos of a block of cheese with a dagger thru the middle over their hearts! It was the men's size 8 boots they wore, with chains around the ankle, that really scared me as they could stomp a mud puddle in yo' rear end and walk it dry! And talk about expertise with a butterfly knife...whoo-ee...a mere half second and flashing blur of silver ... perfectly ordered, boned, filleted and wrapped "People Sushi" on the sidewalk any time of day or night. :fear:

Picturing the evil cousins of the Kia Soul hamsters...

have we or have we not determined that the rat in the photo is bp corey's pet? I'd be quite put out if everyone was dog bashing ...

I'm not bashing rodents. And I'm not pro-puppy or keen on kittehs. I happen to prefer a cat as a pet because they are relatively compact and self-cleaning, but I can't stand the average stray and I am all for spaying or neutering unless one is specifically breeding more pets and the offspring have homes to go to.

I have no time for feral cats or junkyard dawgs. A pet, properly cared for and loved, is great. (I just would choose a kitteh for myself as a first choice.)

have we or have we not determined that the rat in the photo is bp corey's pet? I'd be quite put out if everyone was dog bashing ...

I'm hoping that my opinion of rats hasn't offended anyone.... and I'd never bash your dog..... (unless he's a poodle.) :derisive:

Edited by Songster

oh god no, I know this is all in good fun :cowboy: , I was just playing along

he's a setter songster, no worries

brdevon, yes, yes, yes, spay, neuter, adopt, four leggeds don't belong on the street alone..we have an extra cat if you want one :clown(1):

My rat is a setter too.

If you bring food into the house and not offer her some, she will set there and stare at you.

brdevon, yes, yes, yes, spay, neuter, adopt, four leggeds don't belong on the street alone..we have an extra cat if you want one :clown(1):

I only wish I could, but I live in the motel where I work now, and we have a no pet policy - and there really isn't enough fresh air, sunshine, or space in a motel room for a furry roommate. It is not the right living condition for them. My work schedule with the other job has me out and about, but leaving a kitteh in a small room that is dark without anyone to play with most of the day would not be nice. When I lived in larger quarters, there were two humans working opposite schedules, so there was someone around to play when they were awake and playful, someone to offer a snack, keep the water supply fresh and deal with emergencies, big or small. We adopted two littermates, so when the humans weren't around, they had each other. It breaks my heart that when my last computer died, I lost all my pictures of them. My most treasured one was a picture of the two brothers snuggled in bed asleep in each other's arms. They were hugging each other and smiling. My other favorite was of the little one in bed under the comforter with his little head on the pillow and his favorite stuffed toy tucked in next to him. It wasn't a posed picture, it was natural. The little one climbed in the side of the bed with his stuffed buddy in his mouth, and wiggled his way to the head of the bed and the warm pillow and sunshine, and fell fast asleep like that. He looked like a little kid, tucked in with a teddy bear - or Calvin with Hobbes. I miss my fuzzy babies a lot, but I would never have one again unless I lived in the right kind of environment to make them happy and keep them healthy.

I only wish I could, but I live in the motel where I work now, and we have a no pet policy - and there really isn't enough fresh air, sunshine, or space in a motel room for a furry roommate. It is not the right living condition for them. My work schedule with the other job has me out and about, but leaving a kitteh in a small room that is dark without anyone to play with most of the day would not be nice. When I lived in larger quarters, there were two humans working opposite schedules, so there was someone around to play when they were awake and playful, someone to offer a snack, keep the water supply fresh and deal with emergencies, big or small. We adopted two littermates, so when the humans weren't around, they had each other. It breaks my heart that when my last computer died, I lost all my pictures of them. My most treasured one was a picture of the two brothers snuggled in bed asleep in each other's arms. They were hugging each other and smiling. My other favorite was of the little one in bed under the comforter with his little head on the pillow and his favorite stuffed toy tucked in next to him. It wasn't a posed picture, it was natural. The little one climbed in the side of the bed with his stuffed buddy in his mouth, and wiggled his way to the head of the bed and the warm pillow and sunshine, and fell fast asleep like that. He looked like a little kid, tucked in with a teddy bear - or Calvin with Hobbes. I miss my fuzzy babies a lot, but I would never have one again unless I lived in the right kind of environment to make them happy and keep them healthy.

if only everyone who decided to get a four legged was as conscious of the life long responsibility as you; we wouldn't have the unwanted pets that we do...

I used to work as a receptionist at a veterinary hospital, and I used to cringe around Easter and the winter holiday season. It disgusts me just how many parents out there get the kid a rabbit for Easter or a pet for the holidays. These are not toys, people. They are living, breathing, fragile little bodies who need to be cared for and nurtured.

One of my favorite doctors was an intern from Tufts who I was lucky enough to hear speaking to a client. The client had brought in a stray that needed emergency care, and her too young child wanted to adopt it. The doctor understood the situation and the excitement of the child, but also knew this poor creature would not last a week in the care of a child. She gently said to the client that her child would not be allowed to adopt a human child until he had the income, and maturity to sucessfully raise the adoptee, and it was her professional advice that the child wait a few years to adopt a non-human child. She explained that our little furry friends are very much built like human babies, and need the same level of care - feeding, bathing, medical care and so on and the same expenses that apply to human children apply to non-human companions. The client and her son took it all in, and realized that they were the wrong family for this stray. A few years later, I met the same kid at the restaurant down the street from the animal hospital - I changed jobs, I could not deal with all the suffering I saw at the hospital - and he did adopt a shelter puppy, but now he was old enough and had the family support to raise the dog well. I wish more families would take a moment of reflection and ask themselves truly if they are up to the challenge of raising another living creature in their household. Heck, I wish people would ask that before having human babies!

All our animals are "throw aways". (with the exception of my pigeons) They never forget an act of kindness and make the best family members!

All of our animals too, were adopted from shelters,

or were found abandoned on the streets.

Ours too became wonderful family members.

• 5 months later...

He is so adorable!!Thought I know he is not a mouse, but a kidred spirit of one--He reminds me of a poem by Robert Burns that I learnt as a child--

To a Mouse - A Poem by Robert Burns

(Written by Burns after he had turned over the nest of a tiny field mouse with his plough. Burns was a farmer and farmers are generally far too busy to be concerned with the health of mice. This poem is another illustration of Robert Burn's tolerance to all creatures and his innate humanity.)

mouse2.png

Wee, sleekit, cowran, tim'rous beastie,

O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

Thou need na start awa sae hasty,

Wi' bickering brattle!

I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,

Wi' murd'ring pattle!

I'm truly sorry Man's dominion

Has broken Nature's social union,

An' justifies that ill opinion,

Which makes thee startle,

At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,

An' fellow-mortal!

--I won`t bore anyone with more than 2 verses.

blessings;

S