You Are Under My Spell

BpCorey

I used to have to travel, driving from one overtime job to the next. Because I was there to make money (and spend as little as possible), I would rent the cheapest lodgings I could find. One time, I found a little 1 room cottage that rented for $50 a week. It wasn't much more than a shack, but it had indoor plumbing, and since I was working 12 hour days and was only there for 8 hours a night, it seemed perfect. One night as I lay there in bed, I rolled over, and my hand touched something furry. I jumped up out of bed and turned on the light. There on my pillow sat a BIG BLACK RAT. I was scared to death, but evidently he was not afraid of me at all. I reached into my suitcase and pulled out my pistol. I didn't want to shoot him on the bed, so I kicked it a couple times to get him to jump on the floor. He didn't move an inch and just sat there with his whiskers twitching, staring at me (apparently I had been sleeping in HIS bed).... I had to shoot him 3 times before he quit moving. Needless to say, I packed up and checked into the Motel 6 for $27.50 a night. (Just thinking about it still gives me the willies.)

Edited by Songster

I used to have to travel, driving from one overtime job to the next. Because I was there to make money (and spend as little as possible), I would rent the cheapest lodgings I could find. One time, I found a little 1 room cottage that rented for $50 a week. It wasn't much more than a shack, but it had indoor plumbing, and since I was working 12 hour days and was only there for 8 hours a night, it seemed perfect. One night as I lay there in bed, I rolled over, and my hand touched something furry. I jumped up out of bed and turned on the light. There on my pillow sat a BIG BLACK RAT. I was scared to death, but evidently he was not afraid of me at all. I reached into my suitcase and pulled out my pistol. I didn't want to shoot him on the bed, so I kicked it a couple times to get him to jump on the floor. He didn't move an inch and just sat there with his whiskers twitching, staring at me (apparently I had been sleeping in HIS bed).... I had to shoot him 3 times before he quit moving. Needless to say, I packed up and checked into the Motel 6 for $27.50 a night. (Just thinking about it still gives me the willies.)

you shot a rat in his own bed? that is low.

okay that would COMPLETELY send me screaming...I thought this was bp corey's pet rat...and well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and rats are usually just doing rat things, being the best rats they can be, who am I to judge?

I remember hearing that there were rats in nyc as big as cats, didn't believe it til I met one at an outdoor cafe in little italy..

MURDERER!

The rat's agent let you share his living space and bed and you shot him in cold blood?

This is only partially amusing to me because this past fall I had a dream where my favorite cat was snuggled against me with his paw touching my shoulder. In my half-dreaming state, I realized the cat had been dead a year, so I woke up instantly wondering what the heck was touching me, and FUZZY, only to find a field mouse had misread his reservation and checked in the wrong room - MINE! I am not an advocate for cruelty to animals, but a combination of being half asleep and having something living touching me unexpectedly caused me to hurl his little fuzzy butt across the room, where he bounced off the far wall. He ran back under my door (amazing how small a space a mouse can slip under!) only pausing long enough to look over his shoulder at me with a look that could only mean "Well, excuuuuuuuse ME!"

The desk clerks and housekeepers still giggle about it. Thankfully it is the only mouse I have seen. It appears the little critter scooted into the building when a guest used the door opener and enjoyed the warmth. He found his way out of the building a little less gracefully.

MURDERER!

The rat's agent let you share his living space and bed and you shot him in cold blood?

This is only partially amusing to me because this past fall I had a dream where my favorite cat was snuggled against me with his paw touching my shoulder. In my half-dreaming state, I realized the cat had been dead a year, so I woke up instantly wondering what the heck was touching me, and FUZZY, only to find a field mouse had misread his reservation and checked in the wrong room - MINE! I am not an advocate for cruelty to animals, but a combination of being half asleep and having something living touching me unexpectedly caused me to hurl his little fuzzy butt across the room, where he bounced off the far wall. He ran back under my door (amazing how small a space a mouse can slip under!) only pausing long enough to look over his shoulder at me with a look that could only mean "Well, excuuuuuuuse ME!"

The desk clerks and housekeepers still giggle about it. Thankfully it is the only mouse I have seen. It appears the little critter scooted into the building when a guest used the door opener and enjoyed the warmth. He found his way out of the building a little less gracefully.

wow, you are real rodent people.

one shoots a rat in his own bed, and another is playing mouse ball.

hmm, if the mouse lands in the trash basket in one toss, is that 5 points?

if the mouse lands in the trash basket in one toss, is that 5 points?

No... that's disgusting. :fie:

I really don't hate rodents, per se. I just don't wish to share my bed with vermin. As pets go, I prefer fuzzies that can be trained to use a litter box or doggie room as opposed to urinating wherever they pass. Also meeces and rats look funny with a collar.

No... that's disgusting. :fie:

I really don't hate rodents, per se. I just don't wish to share my bed with vermin. As pets go, I prefer fuzzies that can be trained to use a litter box or doggie room as opposed to urinating wherever they pass. Also meeces and rats look funny with a collar.

true. when I walk my rat, people ask me, is that a RAT!

oooh, can I pet it? it's so soft. hmm, yep, 100% genuine rat fur.

mine fetches too, If, she can carry it in her mouth.

almost litter box trained too.

To each his own..... but I have no love in my heart for rodents or reptiles. They may have a place in the wild, but neither are welcome near my domicile. (I have allowed a 4 foot black snake to live in my shed, but only because he keeps the rodents away.)

I had a rat "Charlie" when in the 4th grade....good trade for a Reece's™ Peanut Butter Cup....cage, rat and wheel....since the other kid's Mom "wouldn't let him keep it". "Charlie" was pretty smart doing several tricks with Q-Tips and cotton balls (I'll let your minds wander on that one :llol: ) I was dumbfounded when I awoke one morning a couple of weeks later to find "Charlie" was short for "Charolette"! I suddenly had 7 rats, well one and 6 little pink "larvae"! :unsure: Thus started one of my first enterprises a couple months later on the school bus....made a whole $2.50...business declined rather swiftly as at that tender young age I wasn't aware yet that the "Birds and Bees" applied to rats as well...I figured they just came "pre-loaded".

When "Charlie" died a couple of years later I was heartbroken and relieved at the same time...I missed my little friend, but sure didn't miss the daily cleaning of his cage. I got a whole $1 for the cage, which come to think of it $3.50 back off a 5¢ investment wasn't a bad return...well until you add up the boarding expenses.... Thanks Mom!!! :D

The movie "Ben" must haunt your dreams Songster. I personally never met a rat I didn't like, just not easy having them around with 5 cats! ....and.... I've only had one cat, ever, use my lap as a sand box! "Belt" is the first word that comes to mind when I think of the black snake.

Oh yeah, and anyone that thinks that NYC rats the size of cats are big....you've never been to the Philippines or Hong Kong have ya? :fear: Those critters wear leathers, ride scooters and all have tattoos of a block of cheese with a dagger thru the middle over their hearts! It was the men's size 8 boots they wore, with chains around the ankle, that really scared me as they could stomp a mud puddle in yo' rear end and walk it dry! And talk about expertise with a butterfly knife...whoo-ee...a mere half second and flashing blur of silver ... perfectly ordered, boned, filleted and wrapped "People Sushi" on the sidewalk any time of day or night. :fear:

Blessings of Peace between all creatures, great and small,

Hahahahaa! You are 100% right there, Al. Anyone can say anything they want about me....they can question my Manhood, they can doubt courage, but I readily admit that I have only seen about 30 minutes of "Ben" (and about 15 minutes of "Arachnophobia").