Traveling With Pets - Suggestions/advice Welcome

grateful

We've recently decided to trade coasts for a few years and we're puzzling over how to transport three cats and a dog cross country. I'd really appreciate suggestions, advice and/or cautionary tales.

Originally, I thought moving vans had seating for more than two people (!), I was just going to stack/bungee the kitties in travel crates and the dog would be on the other side...not an option evidently.

We could ship the car and household and fly but that would be so expensive it would almost be stupid - and dreadful for the dog, at seventy five pounds, he's cargo

or we could drive the car, but it's a volkswagen beetle...crowded and smelly...

My better half thinks we should bungee them (in their crates) in the back of the van but I don't think I could bring myself to do that. He says its no different than when rescues transport animals in large trucks...

help!

Wow, Good Luck! Flying would be the quickest and easiest way to make the trip (for you and them) because the stress of the trip would be a one-time and done deal. Having to drive them across country is going to be a real ordeal. Depending on your route and your itinerary (and barring problems), it could take 6 days or more (3000 miles at 500 miles a day) of steady driving to reach your destination.

My wife's cats were our concern a couple years ago when we were traveling the country during my "migrant worker" days. One loved her little kitty carrier and wouldn't give us any problem, but the other one would "blow-out" and scream bloody murder when we tried to put her in hers. My niece is a vet's assistant, and she said that we could give our 7 lb cats a 1/4 of a tablet of Benadryl each to keep them calm during the 8-12 hours a day that we were on the road. You can also get a prescription from your vet for "real" tranquilizers for them. (You might want to pick up some for yourself, too.)

Again, Good Luck!

Edited by Songster

ha! you've got that right

and we have options, very lucky...

while I want to do what I need to do in terms of economics, I must consider their needs and comfort first - they didn't ask to sign on with my clown posse (!) worst case scenario is that I would have my daughter fly home and take two..don't know if I want to do that to either the cats or my daughter, but she's a seasoned traveler and knows how to enjoy the journey despite the yowling cats in the carriers beside her...

the cats are three; eleven, almost eight and six - they are all okay in transport, to the vet, the groomer, weekends in the mountains...I'd say they travel well but sedating them slightly would probably be in everyone's best interest

ideally, we would rent a sixteen foot van, which would hold most of our worldly possesions, and tow the bug. the dog would have a spot on the bench seat between us (he can be a nervous nellie/a velcro dog)

I guess what I'm really taking a poll on is would it ever be okay to put the cats, secured in carriers in the back of a truck IF we planned on stopping four to six times a day to turn out the dog and check on them and planned on spending the night in hotels along the way (pet friendly hotels, I've got that down at least!)

I almost feel like the best/safest way for us to go is all together....

I have travelled with a dog in a properly secured crate in the back of a moving van stopping every 4-6 hours for potty/leg stretching. Got a dosage for liquid Benadryl and a RX for doggie prozac for the dog to help her sleep and relax. Most important thing is be aware of the weather and temps. Most vans arent HVAC'd in the cargo area so that limits the times of years that it is safe based on how hot/cold it is.

I have travelled with a dog in a properly secured crate in the back of a moving van stopping every 4-6 hours for potty/leg stretching. Got a dosage for liquid Benadryl and a RX for doggie prozac for the dog to help her sleep and relax. Most important thing is be aware of the weather and temps. Most vans arent HVAC'd in the cargo area so that limits the times of years that it is safe based on how hot/cold it is.

hey, thank you for that, although you've just made a case for the opposition

a very good one though; real life, you did it, the more I think about it, the more okay I could be with it.

my better half is a chef, who works for a catering company, whose sixteen foot truck he packs and drives with confidence every day, he feels like if he can keep the asparagus and filet safe, and suitable for presentation, he can do the same for the cats..

he's also made the drive cross country a few times too, and is a cheerful and dedicated driver/traveling companion

the thought of having the dog fly in cargo is worse than anything I could imagine...he's a poor soul, my dog

I am concerned about temps, we're traveling end of january, taking the southern route - but that doesn't mean it won't be COLD in places, if I wrap the crates on three sides and provide good bedding?

Edited by grateful