Quick Question~ Again~

Rev. Justice Rivermyst

Okay, I just read the 750 ILCS 5/Pt. II Laws on Marriage for the state of Illinois and was wondering..

I understand we'll be able to get a marriage certificate for couples but do we also get the license or does the couple go to the County Clerk and take care of that? Or do we fill out both the certificate and license at the wedding or..?

Also.. When forwarding the certificate(and license?) to the County Clerk does it have to be the original copy, or a separate copy filled out, or is it a photocopy?

Okay, I just read the 750 ILCS 5/Pt. II Laws on Marriage for the state of Illinois and was wondering..

I understand we'll be able to get a marriage certificate for couples but do we also get the license or does the couple go to the County Clerk and take care of that? Or do we fill out both the certificate and license at the wedding or..?

Also.. When forwarding the certificate(and license?) to the County Clerk does it have to be the original copy, or a separate copy filled out, or is it a photocopy?

I never fill out the license until the deed is done. There arer times when people will resche3dule events, times when one or the other gets cold feet. No. I wait until all the vows are said and done. And usually the couple likes to gewt a photo of them signing their license. I treat the certificate in the same way. It is only a souvenir for the couple and has no legal power. For states which now have same sex marriage, the same basic procedure will take place. The two of them need to go to the county clerk, purchase their license and provide all the pertinent information and then the clerk will issue the license with some of the information on one side of the license. Both the married couple and the witnesses must sign the document for it to be legal.. Hope this helps. :derisive:

• Administrator

Illinois law is quite unclear as to the procedure, so a call or visit to the county clerk in which the marriage will take place is in order, save for a member in Illinois giving you better information.

What is clear to me is that the couple must go before the county clerk, and qualify to enter into the marriage. Upon qualifying they will be issued a license and a certificate. The license is good the next day and up to the 60th day after it was issued.

The marriage must occur in the county in which the license was issued.

The person solemnizing the marriage has 10 days to return the certificate to the county clerk which issued it. Failing any other language in the law or instructions on the certificate you will always return the original, never a copy.

There is no mention of the officiant ever seeing the license.

Again, ask the county clerk for the proper procedure. They will be happy to assist you in the procedure. However, do not expect them to give you legal advice.

No to To'Wa.... some states do, in fact, have official certificates which must be handled properly. Illinois is one of them.

Illinois law is quite unclear as to the procedure, so a call or visit to the county clerk in which the marriage will take place is in order, save for a member in Illinois giving you better information.

There is no mention of the officiant ever seeing the license.

No to To'Wa.... some states do, in fact, have official certificates which must be handled properly. Illinois is one of them.

The two weddings I did perform in IL required my signature as the officiant on the license. ..IL did not provide me wth any official certificate but I provided my own for the couples. And before the gay marriage law was passed this past summer, domestic partnership laws were in place in certain municipalities in the state of IL, but not in most, parts of Chicago, but not all of Chicago, and Champaign-Urbana were two that I know of.