Update: Kitten Toys, Laughs And Fun

Atwater Vitki

It's been several months since the issue concerning the health hazards of incense and scented candles was graciously brought to our attention. It is something we should make ourselves aware of, for even non-users.

(click on link above or use address at bottom)

It is one of those things that so many of us do without pause for much thought and most certainly a nice fragrance in the air sure beats the opposing issue of "pet smells". Well over these past few months, as it's hit my weary bean, I've done a lot of research on this, talked to our veterinarian, other pet owners and even contacted incense and candle manufacturers as a concerned pet owner.

To keep this short, yes indeed, there are numerous health hazards attached to profuse use of both incense and scented candles in regards to your pet and personal health. The main gist of the entire dilemma is quality products. Propylene glycol is one of the big nasties as well as several other chemicals which are used mostly in cheap scented items.

Some of more commonly used essential oils in the incense/candle-making process include apricot, orange, basil, frankincense, coriander, cardamom, geranium, jasmine, patchouli, black pepper, rose and sandalwood. Essential oils have their own unique properties and are frequently blended together to make formulas for specific purposes. Also natural herbs are used either in conjunction with or separate of the essential oils.

If you make your own or purchase incense, make sure the use of essential oils and organics are used with a very small amount of paraffin (in some cases) for even burning. Other than that no chemicals required!

Incense and scented candles are not well regulated. It is disgusting some of the things I ran across that can be mixed in with these products, but for specifics, do your own research as I do not wish to confuse or sway your thinking. Let it suffice to say that everything from trace amounts lead to cadmium, alkalies to barium and even animal feces, human hair and rodent skin has been found in some of the cheap brands and makes.

Smoke is smoke and no amount or scent, flavor or color makes any difference, it is all bad for us. Period.

We've made some changes and I hope you will too, so I recommend the following:

1. PLENTY of fresh air sources and even an exhaust fan somewhere near where the incense burns

2. "Never" burn more than one stick or cone at a time, unless separated by the house/apt all the way the other end!

3. Allow at least 30 minutes to 1 hour between burnings (if candle, don't let burn for more than 2 hours at a time)

4. I can't stress this enough: Buy only QUALITY PRODUCTS that use only essential oils or organics (herbs) as the base material. Do NOT use products that contain chemicals, resin fillers, bonding agents and so forth. RESEARCH your favorite brands for contents. A good scented product should contain essential oils, non-toxic fiber material (i.e.; coconut husk or grain husk) and/or herbal organic for scent. Period.

If the brand you've been using will not list the ingredients, it's probably toxic waste. Yes, among the things I listed above, even pureed garbage from landfills is used in some of the cheap incenses...a powder is a powder to some of these criminal minds. Most of the "commercial" incenses you find at grocery stores and smoke shops are nicely packaged and "look good" but are really poor quality.

Any "Natural Food" or Organic product store will have...well... should have a grand selection of high quality incense sticks, cones and powders as well as scented candles. A local aroma-therapist is also a good source for info and purchase.

You may only get 6-10 (short) sticks or (small) cones for your $2.00 instead of 20, but you will find:

1. The scent lasts for hours

2. Burns much slower (some of the cheap ones you could use for a fuse! :shut: )

3. Far less smoke

Anyway, save your pet and yourself from the hazardous smoke from poorly ventilated homes and cheap scented products. Start with "Natural Incense" in your search and go from there to finding a better product! I've got several bookmarks going for looking into making our own, that way the nuclear waste products can stay out of our air! (Only teasing...or am I? Muhwaahahaha :devil: !

Fido and Fluffy, Max and Mittens will really appreciated it!

Blessings of Peace,

In case link don't work:

ref of above link....

http://forum.ulc.net...post__p__686534

Edited by Atwater Vitki
ahtrosheeus spelling

Another way to "make scents" and save money is to do it yourself with potpourri. When I had an apartment and cats in the same place, I used to simply simmer a small pan or pot of water with a sprinkle or two of cinnamon and a pinch of clove. Smells like someone's been baking, and totally nontoxic - even edible! If I happened to have an apple core or orange peels from a snack, even better, just chuck it in the simmering broth and let nature do the rest. I have also used lemon peel, vanilla beans, various spices that I associate with baking, and so on. One way to get great fragrance for cheap is to go to dollar stores and the like and instead of shopping the fragrance aisle, pick up cheap spices. I wouldn't necessarily eat them (often not so fresh and tasty), but they are edible, so much less toxic, and if it smells decent in the store, it will smell decent when simmered. I used to use off brands for simmering, so they weren't confused with my cooking spices, but a permanent marker or sticker on the packaging will do well to differentiate them. I found the simmer method gave me much milage and a great smelling home for a lot less than candles or incense. Also, you can cool and refrigerate your simmering "broth" and reuse it a few times. Simply add more water as it evaporates, and give it a light sprinkle of fresh herbs or spice as needed.

Enjoy.

I'm curious if anyone knows this. I know that overheated teflon pans can be deadly to birds, but is this also true for our household mammals? :detective2:

true for anything with lungs...... and aluminum pans contribute to alheimer's..... and Microwaves mutate cell walls..... and oh, oh forget it - I'm going to Chik-fil-A......

multi-whole-grain "Wish" sandwich always works...where ya got two pieces of bread... and wish you had something healthy to put in between.

I made an awesome batch of chili the other day and got way carried away....after getting everything from mushrooms to onions, celery to cayenne pepper and back in it, four kinds of beans -pinto, black, kidney and white-fresh tomato, bell pepper, braised extra lean 5% stew beef in 1/2 the pot etc etc(removed 1/2 beans, let simmer another hour with beef)...we had 2 gallons of some danged good stuff...went light on the "hot" as neither of us like 5 alarm...but could have...According to Dr. Oz, we have one of the most beneficial, healthy foods available. Kay's home made corn bread on top woooo-wee!

Beans, as I'm sure you are well aware of, are one of those "healthy things" and can be done soooo many ways. Even with just a hot plate and kettle, I use to make some pretty awesome bean goodies in my first studio apt. and it's only gotten better with better facilities.

Blessings,

Oh, BTW, did y'all know....when soaking the beans overnight, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda per 8 oz of beans, to the soak...(rinse 3x's first, then put to soak, rinse before adding filtered water for cooking)... absolutely ZERO "side effects"...or in this case end effects?

didn't know about the baking soda or waiting to salt the beans... and I'm southern ( they're gonna yank my card if y'all keep it up... )

but since now I'm craving chili - guess I'll try both.... :) crock pot is calling my name....

Beans, Beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot. :stinker: The more you toot the better you feel :stinker::sigh::Jumpy: ....so eat your beans at every meal! :giggle: