Which Band (Or Solo Artist) Do You Admire Most?

Songster

I was looking through the topics in the Music portion of the Forum (there's a lot of them!) and noticed a wide variety of styles and genres of music and videos posted by different members . . . and although I consider myself eclectic in my taste of music, there were several submissions that I found less-than-entertaining. (I'm willing to submit myself to a 1 minute sample of any artist or style of music, but it must be GOOD for me to endure a full 3 minutes!)

So . . . What artist or band do you think has produced the best song ever, the best album of all time, put on the most spectacular stage performance? Is there any one act that you think over-shadows all of the others? Why?

Since musical tastes vary, there are NO WRONG ANSWERS to the questions in this topic, so please restrict your critique of another's choice to contrasts and comparisons between the artists and their music.

Edited by Songster

I'll start this off by claiming The Beatles as the best rock and roll band of all time. I think that Sgt. Pepper's LHCB is their most influential album, and that All You Need Is Love is their best single. Since I wasn't fortunate enough (or old enough) to have ever seen The Beatles perform live and in person, my choice for absolute best stage performance is (without a doubt) Queen. My favorite solo act is John Prine.

Edited by Songster

I would also go along with Beatles ! Was blessed to witness what I think was their last ever live performance,

on top of their APPLE, Saville Row, London H.Q. Was I think, bout 1970. I was Publican in London at time, running Pub called

Leicester Lounge, just round corner from Saville Row ! Customers came in pub at lunchtime that day, with stories of something

going on at Apple, so I ran round to have look. John Lennons white Rolls Royce was outside door, and great sounds coming

from roof. Unfortunately, Police went on roof, and told them to stop, as they were causing a disturbance ! some Disturbance !

my band, at the shindig at Big Run state park in '91...we got off to a rough start, because we rented alot of equiptment that we weren't familiar with, but the version of "machine gun" (Hendrix song) went over really well, and its on tape somewhere....I don't have a copy though.... and please don't judge me by my father's band, we have much respect but our styles are very different....now, as

far as mainstream groups, I've seen most of them, "widespread panic" really blew me away. They are much better live than on record. The Meat Puppets also rocked well...;)

Celtic Woman when they performed at the Castle in Ireland.

Yea? How'd you get tickets to that?