Okay...so...quitting Smokin.

murphzlaw1

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife quit yesterday.... she's quit many times before but has always relapsed. (If today was an indication of days to come, her quiting is going to be harder on me than her. Wish us luck!)

in my case,most of the time it was worse on the people around me than it was me.nothing intentional on the stoppers part.i would suggest the mints(as low nicotine as you can find.if there is no medical reason not to use them,they really help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

we don't discuss that!

And since I forgot to post it here....

as of right now:

Days without smoking: 243 days, 20 hours, 31 minutes

Cigarettes not smoked: 3657

Money saved: $1197.67

That's 8 months, ya'll.

Stay tuned for part 2 of "fixing murph."

we don't discuss that!

And since I forgot to post it here....

as of right now:

Days without smoking: 243 days, 20 hours, 31 minutes

Cigarettes not smoked: 3657

Money saved: $1197.67

That's 8 months, ya'll.

Stay tuned for part 2 of "fixing murph."

Dude, that is totally awesome. Major respect!!!!!

If only I could fix me with the same success.....

You're an inspiration, Murph! My wife quit earlier this month. To support her, and to remove any temptation, I started going outside to partake. That lasted a couple days... I was spending more time out in the heat than I was spending in the AC. I decided to quit too. It's been 1 week. I haven't saved any money though.... my grocery bill went up $40 and I've gained 10 pounds.

• Administrator

I know exactly what you mean. That's a side effect. Thankfully, it's can be a temporary one.

I alluded earlier, and in another thread, that "fixing Murph, part 2" was coming.

I visited my doctor (I think I mentioned) and got all of the results back. I have high cholesterol, and I'm fat. they did an EKG and determined that my heart is in good shape. I was given clearance to "work out to my heart's content." (That's why I went to the doctor, to make sure I'd be okay for working out.)

One of the benefits of my "quit for life" program was that, after 6 months, they sent me a $25 gift certificate (for participating in a University study.)

with that gift card, I chose to visit Amazon.com and pick up "My Fitness Coach" for the Wii.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Fitness-Coach-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001H0RZX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338385255&sr=8-1

The game arrived on Saturday, and I completed my "evaluation" on Sunday.

It Kicked. My. Ass.

I've only had 1 real work out so far. I was kind of dumb and did the evaluation, then turned around and did the first 15 min work out.

It has built in "rest" periods during the work out, and at certain points it'll as if the previous exercise was too hard, just right, or too easy. It then will adjust future workouts accordingly.

Obviously, this will not take the place of a gym, but for someone who has been out of shape for the past 10 years, it's a good start. (and it also beats payin $40 a month for a gym you might only get to once a week.)

My goal is to get to a point where I can work out more easily, then I can start biking and jogging (well, shuffling along...I learned a long time ago that jogging and I don't mix.)

The doc also told me to pay more attention to carbs, watch my portions, that kind of thing. Which I'm doing. Since the doctor, I've lost about 3 pounds. I haven't gotten into the workout thing full swing yet. As I say, I'm just starting. But being more careful about what I eat is already showing some difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

it's only fair that I tell you about my failures, as well as my successes.

Last weekend, my wife and I have decided to divorce. While it wasn't exactly a happy decision on my part, I respect her decision.

I've spent a lot of time down in the dumps, since then. I've really not been here much, as I'm trying to deal with family/finance issues.

Long story short, I picked up smoking again, for some sort of release. I know it's not the best for me right now, but...in my mind, it helps.

I haven't really done that badly. I've had about a pack in a week's time.

What I've been telling others (and myself) is that I'll abuse myself for a couple of weeks until things get sorta straightened out, and then I'll go back on the wagon.

It's been pretty hard on me, to be quite honest. Not nearly as hard as it has been on the kids, so I'm focusing on them.

I've already told the mod staff that I'm going to be stepping back from the forum for a while until I get my stuff together.

Smoking is not something I want to be doing, long term, but right now...it's helping.

Having been divorced earlier in my life and with a child in the mix, I can imagine what it must be like for you. I know everyone's situation is different, but if there is pain stabbing in your heart, it is the same pain that stabbed in mine. You must also know that you will one day ultimately quit smoking. Give yourself time and don't beat yourself up for it. I am sure you are doing some introspection and finding things here and there to beat yourself up over as it is. Today I celebrate my 13th year tobacco free. It took 39 years of smoking and the last 13 years for me to say that. Your time is coming.

Long story short, I picked up smoking again, for some sort of release. I know it's not the best for me right now, but...in my mind, it helps.

Don't beat yourself up over a temporary setback, sounds like you've got bigger fish to fry right now.

Nicotine is actually a mild sedative, it might be helpful in reducing the extra stress. Hope you get

it all sorted out... Hang tough and good luck

it's only fair that I tell you about my failures, as well as my successes.

Last weekend, my wife and I have decided to divorce. While it wasn't exactly a happy decision on my part, I respect her decision.

I've spent a lot of time down in the dumps, since then. I've really not been here much, as I'm trying to deal with family/finance issues.

What I've been telling others (and myself) is that I'll abuse myself for a couple of weeks until things get sorta straightened out, and then I'll go back on the wagon.

It's been pretty hard on me, to be quite honest. Not nearly as hard as it has been on the kids, so I'm focusing on them.

I've already told the mod staff that I'm going to be stepping back from the forum for a while until I get my stuff together.

Smoking is not something I want to be doing, long term, but right now...it's helping.

Everyone, at various points in time, need an external crutch. The same can be said for the need of many for religion. Perhaps you can do as I did, and substitute the addiction to something helpful or benign.

In full confession, I suffer a similar thing. I am working on my own advice, but is is so freakin' hard.....I keep failing! I am hoping Father's Day will be significant enough for me to use it as a milestone or point of demarkation. We'll see......

~ Murph... You are cared for by many! :wub:

Stay strong for yourself & your children.

Don't worry about a few cigarettes if they help you through this!

You now know you can quit. You already did it. You can again.

Right now you need to focus on more important stuff.

:friends: :friends: :friends: