Okay...so...quitting Smokin.

murphzlaw1

Congratulations! I quit November 1997 and my husband quit one year later,

when I quit I carried a pack with me because I wanted to feel I was stopping because I wanted to not because I could not ecause I didn't have any, it worked for me, I also used flavored toothpicks to occupy my mouth and hands. When my husband quit he just put them down and never picked them back up (even after I had a brain anurisum a week after he quit smoking, he could have so easily used this as an excuse to pick them back up but didn't do so)

my dear friend Gina is in liver failure, in order to get on the transplant list she must stop smoking

she went 51 days without a smoke, then she got mad at her doctors and her attitude was

"They don't care, they are not going to help me anyway so I am goign to smoke" try as I might to get her to see she is not hurting (or getting back at, or even bothering) her doctors and if they are not going to help her she must help herself, she has to be the one to take care of herself, but she is mad, hurt and scared and sucking on those smokes like a baby with a pascifier

it breaks my heart

I would do anything to help her, I hate to see her not only getting sicker but tossing away any chance of getting better and heading into death as an angry sullen human so sad

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

A few days ago, I passed the 4 month mark of quitting smoking.

Again, I will be the first to admit that some days it's really, REALLY tempting to go out and buy "just one pack" or even "just one quick cigar." But I know that if I do, it'll be down hill from there.

I'm a third of the way to the "Heart disease death risk reduced to half." I gather I'll acheive that once I'm quit smokin for a year.

the last achievement "Risk of developing lung cancer at same level as a non-smoker"....yeah, that's at 6.93%. that'll be a while.

But it's good, you know? I've saved $621. I have NOT smoked 1900 cigarettes, based on my avg daily use.

trust me murph,even after 3 years,there are times i ask myself why i quit(real reason,i got pissed off at obama).and there are days i want a ciggeratte so bad.but i know it would take just a puff,and i would be in a world of do-do.

i'm told that it supposed to get easier with time,but not how much.all i can wish you is the best.

trust me murph,even after 3 years,there are times i ask myself why i quit(real reason,i got pissed off at obama).and there are days i want a ciggeratte so bad.but i know it would take just a puff,and i would be in a world of do-do.

i'm told that it supposed to get easier with time, but not how much (time it will take).

all i can (do is) wish you is the best.

:thumbu:

And be prepared for "flashbacks" at unexpected times, and at irregular intervals.

Even three years after I had smoked my last cigarette, I remember suddenly craving one.

But it does get easier, so long as you never give in.

Edited by Hexalpa

• 2 weeks later...

i'm told that it supposed to get easier with time,but not how much.all i can wish you is the best.

wow so Obama did a great thing, helping you quit smoking :derisive:

I quit nov 1997 it was hard, worse than when I quit cocaine, would even dream I smoked and get mad at myself, time did take care of the urge, now I can really say I never ever want one and can even be around others who smoke without wanting one.

• Administrator

Oh yeah. I forgot to post here.

I'm now at 154 days. 5 months and 4 days without a smoke

2314 cigarettes that I DIDN'T smoke.

$757 saved.

Next month, I will be half way to the "Heart Disease death risk reduced to half." So..after a year, my risk of heart disease is half that of a non smoker.

and I'm at 8.45% for "risk of developing lung cancer at same level as a non-smoker" which is, I guess is 15 years...so...I got a ways to go there.

Check this out.

http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/education/benefits.aspx

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I recently had another landmark. 200 days without smoking.

My current stats are as follows:

Days without smoking: 203.22

Cigarettes not smoked: 3048.34

Money saved: $998.33

Time saved: 12d, 16h, 48m.

Heart disease deat risk reduced to half=55.68%

Risk of developing lung cancer at same level as a non-smoker: 11.14%

• 4 weeks later...

Stay strong my friend. I myself passed my 2yr mark this month. I still crave them from time to time. I wonder if that ever goes away. But I have to keep reminding myself of why I quit. You are doing GREAT!!! Dont give in .. and if you do dont be to hard on yourself. Just stop again it took me 5yrs to finnaly stop. I can tell ya it is the hardest thing you will ever do, but the rewards are many. Good Luck buddy.