Okay...so...quitting Smokin.

murphzlaw1

• Administrator

so I have 5 cigarettes left in my pack.

I took my car today, and got it washed. I went to grab my ashtray as I got out. The man said "let me empty that for you."

I said "throw it away."

he was stunned. "throw it away??"

"yup."

car vaccummed, washed, wiped down. all smokin stuff out of the car.

goin to bed shortly. when I get up, puttin on a patch. taking no smokes to work tonight.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe some good imagery technique could reinforce your stand against smoking.

When I imagined beer as nothing more than urine it was easy to stop drinking even though I was never what one could call an alcoholic. Maybe if you imagine cigarettes being something really disgusting that makes your skin crawl and imagining putting that thing to your lips and sucking in on the arsenic and puss globulest it will help some. I just made my own skin crawl lol

• Administrator

Day one complete, no relapse...slips..whatever.

Went and visited mom today. (Her birthday) after about 15 minutes, she says "okay, let's go smoke." I told her "I'll watch you smoke." She didn't know I was quittin :)

Didn't really have the urge to smoke, then. Had some urges at home later, but I just stayed in the room and tried to relax.

I noticed I was a little antsy last night. I got up more, walked around the ofice a bit more than usual, etc. I fidgeted a lot. But with the patch on, it's really not even so much the nicotine I'm gettin, it's more of a constant reminder of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. So to that end, the patches are working.

Altho they do..."sting" a little when I put it on. Reminds me of the line in Pulp Fiction. "You may feel a slight sting. That's pride ** with you."

When you feel that tingling sensation from the patch, remind yourself your lungs felt that and more with the smoke. It's a physical reminder that the chemistry wasn't your friend. You just got past two major challenges: watching someone else smoke and not joining them, and getting through the first day. Keep going. It's a challenge at first, but so is learning to walk, learning to drive, being an admin.. oh wait, that last one is always a challenge :crazyeyes:

• Administrator

Most of the way thru day two, no smokes. So..uh..44 hours?

This.

Blows.

I just had dinner. And I'm off tonight. So usually I'd go out and have a smoke with the wife after dinner.

She's out there now.

And I'm sitting here fidgetin like someone ....who REALLY wants a cigarette.

boingboingboingboing.

• Administrator

CO and O2 levels back to normal: 100%. Sudden death risk lowered: 100% . Taste and Smell senses regained: 92.36% Standardization of Respiratory Function: 61.57% Elimination of physical dependence of nictoine: 26.39%. BUT! I don't think that last one takes the patch into account.

Doesn't matter, still didn't smoke. :P

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I have a decent support group. To be honest, I wasn't really sure about posting it on the forum at all. But, you guys have been part of my life for so long..it seemed to be the thing to do.

CO and O2 levels back to normal: 100%. Sudden death risk lowered: 100% . Taste and Smell senses regained: 92.36% Standardization of Respiratory Function: 61.57% Elimination of physical dependence of nictoine: 26.39%. BUT! I don't think that last one takes the patch into account.

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I have a decent support group. To be honest, I wasn't really sure about posting it on the forum at all. But, you guys have been part of my life for so long..it seemed to be the thing to do.

:thumbu:

Good goin' mate...glad t'see so far so good, eh? So's now ya gots us thinking about it, but not this week.

Blessings and WTG dude....now get yer wife to go along with ya! I don't know how you could do it without her support and also quitting...something Kay and I have sworn to do, together. But Excellent no matter how ya make it work.

Much Peace,

you could end up inspiring a few of us... :)

• Administrator

Good goin' mate...glad t'see so far so good, eh? So's now ya gots us thinking about it, but not this week.

Blessings and WTG dude....now get yer wife to go along with ya! I don't know how you could do it without her support and also quitting...something Kay and I have sworn to do, together. But Excellent no matter how ya make it work.

Much Peace,

she's on her last pack right now, she swears.

you could end up inspiring a few of us... :)

That, kinda, did also cross my mind. If I "document" the process of quitting, from a long time smoker...maybe it'll help a bit for others.

But really, it's for me. Something for ME to read if I get tempted. "Hey, look what you've worked for. Get past this urge and move forward."

Also:

CO and O2 levels back to normal: 100%. Sudden death risk lowered: 100% . Taste and Smell senses regained: 100% Standardization of Respiratory Function: 79.81% Elimination of physical dependence of nictoine: 34.21%

New Tracking:

Improvement of blood circulation and skin hydration, and dissapearance of premature wrinkles: 11.4%

(this info from the "Quit Now!" app on the droid market, by Eagin.net)

now get yer wife to go along with ya! I don't know how you could do it without her support and also quitting

My wife and I tried quitting at the same time. Both of us being super-cranky at the same time was just way more stress than we were ready for. So she quit one week and I quit the next...