Okay...so...quitting Smokin.

murphzlaw1

• Administrator

I guess I'm fortunate that my employer actually funds a program for quitting smoking. They've teamed up with the American Cancer Society for the "Quit for Life" program. Some insurances also cover it. Mine (Aetna) doesn't, but, since work pays for it, meh.

(quitnow.net)

I enrolled on the website last week, and they DID call later that day to finish the registration. I didn't call back until this morning. I'm ashamed to admit I was a little scared about it. (denial issue? maybe.)

I'm personally a little leery about quitting smoking. I know it needs to be done, and I know that it's not healthy, it's better for me, and it's expensive. I know, intellectually, all of these things. The problem is, I've been smokin for goin on 20 years now, minus the 8 weeks I was in basic training.

So! I called this morning and finished my enrollment. My employer is so nice, they even fund the quitting tools, which is 2 months worth of the nicotine patches, or gum. I chose patches, because right now, I want a visible reminder of what it is I'm doing. I figure with the patches on, my brain will actually recognize that I'm GETTING the nicotine that my brain thinks it wants. I guess once my brain is okay with that, and not having to have the actual cigarette in my hand, then I can get off the patches and be done.

To be completely honest, I'm really not that confident of succeeding in quitting smoking. This will probably be one of the toughest things I have ever done. And since I been adminin you yahoos for 9 years, you know that's sayin a lot. :P

One of the things that kinda hit me was when I was going thru the registration. The girl (sounded super cute..) asked me WHY I want to quit smoking. I thought about it...and my first answer was "my kids. I want to be around for them later in life." My son is 14. My daughter is 9. If I keep going down the road I'm on now...I'm 35. I wanna live for at least another couple of decades.

I've kinda tried to start slowing down, in preparation for this. I probably won't focus on it that much until the patches show up, which will be Mon or Tues, I think. That suits me.

We've set a quit date of Oct. 13. I'm not really concerned about hitting that date, so long as I DO stop.

I really wouldn't mind some messages of encouragement now and then, if you're so inclined...

I will, I think, keep this thread updated with progress, issues, whatever. Ignore it if you like, I don't care. It's more for my use than anything, I think, anyhow. :P

Day 1, enrollment, waiting for patches/literature.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Friend,

From one nicco-fien to another, absolutely the best of luck! Kay and I have been mulling this over for a couple of years and have made two unsuccessful attempts at quitting...but, DON'T let that dissuade you!

Kay's smoked a pack/day chemically packed, burn like fuses Marlboro Lights® for over 30 years, and I've smoked 12-15 cigs of the "healthy", :rolleyes: all natural, no chemical additive, roll my own, takes an hour and ten lights to smoke one, for the past 20 of going on 40 years of smoking. Fortunately our last chest x-ray and lung capacity tests show we're actually fairly healthy. We've both managed to cut down to 8-10 per day for her and 6-8 per day for me with noticeable effects...we're both on edge daily!...no j/k...actually there's been very little "health benefit" we've noticed other than she does not seem to have such a difficult time with her allergies.

We both hate the smell of clothes/house, even with windows open year round and never directly around our cats and often I go outside for the stretch and "fresh", smoggy valley air. For us, the biggest motivator has been the expense of around $80/mo - her carton and ½ a month $60 and my RYO at roughly $20 and California is looking at yet another cigarette TAX increase.

Now, that all the unjustified, negative crapola is out of the way, there is nothing but Will Power that will get you through it. This may be a good time to go to a pediatric clinic and pick up a good dose of flu...nothing like a cold or flu to help you quit and has been the only successful time I quit some 25 years ago, with a ten day flu. After 4 months being cigarette free, I made the mistake of going out for billiards (I thought it was safe and had been long enough) and a pitcher or two with some friends...no more than two breaks and three beers into the night..."Lemme have one of those, would'ya?" :smoke:...and I was back to a pack plus a day by the weekend. That was a Thursday night! :doh:

We do know three people that have successfully quit using the patches and they all said the first week is the worst and do NOT kick yourself for "cheating" with a few cigs per day during that first week. All three did variations of 10-8-6-4-2-2-2-zero, especially first thing in a.m. and after dinner. Ron and Pam were the worse at 4 packs a day for him and 3 for her...I can't even imagine! Kay's ex died from 4+ packs/day for 15+ years.

One of those electronic, water vapor cigarettes ($30-50 for a good one- don't waste the $20 on the cheap as no real "action") was how they all got the oral fixation and hands on something habit broken.... now two of them chew pens down until they have ink running down their chins...but they don't smoke! I also buy Peach flavor little cigars (Schwishers or Optimos) for chewing on, a pack of 5 lasts all month, (I cut them into quarters) but since I hate the smell, but love the taste, it gives the hands something to do and greatly lapses the time between smokes.

You have my undying support and admiration for pulling this off, and have nothing but support here. For the "kids" is very chivalrous, but unless for yourself...well y'know all the psychology behind the message...and I take it that either the wife does not smoke or is quitting with you right? I should say 5 people above as is 2 couples and one bachelor and the couples quit together. And don't fail to recognize that moodiness is going to be heightened for a good couple of weeks and be prepared to apologize a lot!!! Our friend Eddie was saying "Sorry!" every other word, even when he didn't need to, but he thought he was 'reacting'!

Nicotine is sincerely a worse addiction than heroin to kick, I know this from many sources. And what other "quitters" have routinely talked about is the "want" for years afterwards...so now that I've repeated probably everything your brochures are going to tell you, again I think you can count on everyone here for support! I'd join you in the effort but we're on our own program and it looks like the first of the year is our "quit" date...I'll be asking you for support come December, I'm sure!

Blessings of Peace and most importantly....

:smoke::shut: ...you CAN do it!!!! :dirol:

edit: (mererdog-me no see italics, just regular here!)

Edited by Atwater Vitki

I quite over 10 years ago without the patches and gum and programs. Secret to my success was realizing I was allergic to the damn things. Kate still smokes, but doesnt smoke much during the winter. Being on base and all you have to smoke outside even in your house so that might be a good motivator by making your house and car "smoke free zones". Best of luck.

If you can admin this place for 9 years, you have more than enough will power to deal with anything in life.

Carry pics of your kids. If you haven't yet thrown out the packs opf cigs, tape pics of your kids to the cig pack. That way each time you reach for one, you have that pic staring at you to remind you why you wanted to give it up.

Other people have a cuss jar... start a cigarette jar. Take the money you would throw into smoking and toss it in the jar. Watch the money grow, and treat yourself with the cash. Better yet, treat yourself and the kids. Then everyone can enjoy the benefits of your healthier life. Want a great motivator to keep going, look at their smiles when you can treat them and share your success. It will also help drive their desire to support you.

All the best. You got this.

after 2 years,i don't miss the nicotine,i miss smoking,period.i used the patchs,but am allergic to the adhesive.i found the mints work better.

i have one of the e-cigerattes(vapor),that come with no nicotine,just menthol flavor.be advised that good ones aren't cheap,and cheap ones aren't good,but they work.most of all,find a reason for yourself for stopping.

know that i know what you'll be going thru,and by the way,you may want to find an excerise program that works for you(biking,long walks).weight gain is a real hazard.

If you can admin this place for 9 years, you have more than enough will power to deal with anything in life.

Carry pics of your kids. If you haven't yet thrown out the packs opf cigs, tape pics of your kids to the cig pack. That way each time you reach for one, you have that pic staring at you to remind you why you wanted to give it up.

Other people have a cuss jar... start a cigarette jar. Take the money you would throw into smoking and toss it in the jar. Watch the money grow, and treat yourself with the cash. Better yet, treat yourself and the kids. Then everyone can enjoy the benefits of your healthier life. Want a great motivator to keep going, look at their smiles when you can treat them and share your success. It will also help drive their desire to support you.

All the best. You got this.

I agree with the above! Good luck and if you feel yourself weakening, remember you have people here you can give you support!

Kick the habit Murph. Later, I think you will be happy you did.

In my world quitting smoking is done by deciding you don't want them any more and every time you have an urge remember that you don't want the damn things any more.

Ten years ago I threw mine out of the car window and have not had one since. I used to do 3 packs a day but when I made the decision, that was the end of it. Your lungs start to clear up immediately and in a couple of weeks the phlegm will subside. Exercise and it won't be long and you will be back to your youthful state.

~ Oh HON!!! Encouragement & best wishes & love & all the support I can send :wub: :wub: :wub:

It's not just the addiction to the nicotine & other chems, it's an addiction to the habit...

Perhaps a finger board or something to keep your hand busy when it would be normally fussing with a cig?

Maybe a snowglobe or somesuch where you usually keep your ashtray?

Ya gotta trick your mind too, if your brain sees an 'empty' where there once was a 'yummy', that little brat in the back will fuss louder ;)

Best to ya!!! :D

• Administrator

Thank you, all.

Day 3.ish. Still waiting on the nicotine patches in the mail. Maybe tomorrow or Monday. I noticed today I was focusing a bit more on quitting, and as such, curbed my smoking times. I even left the house today and intentionally left my smokes at home.

The real chore is my breaks at work, I've noticed so far. I take my breaks at certain times, and of course, that's when I'm ready for a smoke. Will be working on breaking those habits, too.

Twelve years smoke free from an 2 pack a day habit. it's one of the things I am MOST proud of.. I did the patch and when I read the insert and it said "Smoking on the patch may cause heart attacks" it scared me enough I didn't smoke... Week two, I forgot to put the patch on one day and never went back to them... Oh and sunflower seeds!!!! (Of course then I had to quit them which was almost as hard.. LOL)

GOOD LUCK!!!! and yes.. kids are a GREAT motivator!!!

I guess I'm fortunate that my employer actually funds a program for quitting smoking. They've teamed up with the American Cancer Society for the "Quit for Life" program. Some insurances also cover it. Mine (Aetna) doesn't, but, since work pays for it, meh.

(quitnow.net)

I enrolled on the website last week, and they DID call later that day to finish the registration. I didn't call back until this morning. I'm ashamed to admit I was a little scared about it. (denial issue? maybe.)

I'm personally a little leery about quitting smoking. I know it needs to be done, and I know that it's not healthy, it's better for me, and it's expensive. I know, intellectually, all of these things. The problem is, I've been smokin for goin on 20 years now, minus the 8 weeks I was in basic training.

So! I called this morning and finished my enrollment. My employer is so nice, they even fund the quitting tools, which is 2 months worth of the nicotine patches, or gum. I chose patches, because right now, I want a visible reminder of what it is I'm doing. I figure with the patches on, my brain will actually recognize that I'm GETTING the nicotine that my brain thinks it wants. I guess once my brain is okay with that, and not having to have the actual cigarette in my hand, then I can get off the patches and be done.

To be completely honest, I'm really not that confident of succeeding in quitting smoking. This will probably be one of the toughest things I have ever done. And since I been adminin you yahoos for 9 years, you know that's sayin a lot. :P

One of the things that kinda hit me was when I was going thru the registration. The girl (sounded super cute..) asked me WHY I want to quit smoking. I thought about it...and my first answer was "my kids. I want to be around for them later in life." My son is 14. My daughter is 9. If I keep going down the road I'm on now...I'm 35. I wanna live for at least another couple of decades.

I've kinda tried to start slowing down, in preparation for this. I probably won't focus on it that much until the patches show up, which will be Mon or Tues, I think. That suits me.

We've set a quit date of Oct. 13. I'm not really concerned about hitting that date, so long as I DO stop.

I really wouldn't mind some messages of encouragement now and then, if you're so inclined...

I will, I think, keep this thread updated with progress, issues, whatever. Ignore it if you like, I don't care. It's more for my use than anything, I think, anyhow. :P

Day 1, enrollment, waiting for patches/literature.

As with most things in life, you gotta wanna. If you're not at that point, it aint going to happen.

• Administrator

As with most things in life, you gotta wanna. If you're not at that point, it aint going to happen.

actually, the more I focus on it, the more I'm gaining the confidence to do it. baby steps, of course, but, I think it's actually working.

last night at work, I had fewer breaks, and my "lunch" break was mostly me walking, with one cigarette, instead of 2-3.

I think the patches are going to help. and I'm actually starting to think that I might actually be able to do this...

actually, the more I focus on it, the more I'm gaining the confidence to do it. baby steps, of course, but, I think it's actually working.

last night at work, I had fewer breaks, and my "lunch" break was mostly me walking, with one cigarette, instead of 2-3.

I think the patches are going to help. and I'm actually starting to think that I might actually be able to do this...

Of course you can do it.

Just decide that is what you want and stop.

If you don't decide you will never have the moral courage to get it done.