Instruments......do You Own Or Play Any?

Cornelius

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Another guitarist here - Spanish/Bass/Electric/Steel-strung in rough order of competence. I used to know the basics on flute and tin whistle but haven't played in decades. I'm finally trying to get my vocals up to scratch, and then plan on getting to grips with the fiddle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am primarily a singer, but my husband is a Luthier and the son of a band teacher, so we have a lot of instruments! We have a variety of guitars and ukuleles (4 of each), an acoustic bass, a cello, a couple of violins, a banjo, a mountain dulcimer, a clarinet, a saxophone, a xylophone, an electric piano, a smattering of hand drums and auxiliary percussion goodies (tambourines, shakers, cowbell, etc.) a child-sized piano, and an autoharp. I'm probably leaving something out. My husband can at least get a decent sound out of everything we own. I can get decent sounds out of guitars, ukuleles, bass, drums, pianos, the dulcimer, and auxiliary percussion. Our daughter (nearly 3 years old) mostly only gets decent sounds out of the keyboards and things that can be struck with hands, sticks, or mallets, but we let her experiment with everything. :)

I don't have photos of everything, but here's one wall in the family room in our basement:

Untitled-1.jpg

When it's in tune...I don't do too bad on the kazoo and jeus harp! :unsure: I also can get down with a mean grass leaf between thumbs and cupped hands! :rofl:

Kay is the musical one around here, had a 1962 Martin and numerous instruments years ago, but now only has very unique S. Yari (1984) guitar. We also have a Casio digital piano/organ, 3 antique Tibetan singing bowls (1850's), several Hawaiian nose flutes and an assortment of rattles, hand drums, bells and chimes. Once in a great while we make some noise, but unfortunately music is not my art form and usually just ends up in frustration. Kay doesn't play much as she too has succumbed to the dastardly "age thing".

We just found out recently that Kay's uncles and father (been estranged until a couple years ago) played in a gospel group...keyboards, banjo, guitar, accordion and the like....several of her cousins have kept up the 'tradition'.

My daughter is in choir at her church and has a very pleasant solo voice and has sang with several international gospel groups that have performed at Neighborhood Church/Crossroads in Castro Valley, CA

Actually I love music of many different genres, rock, folk, looove Bluegrass, easy listening like Neil Diamond, some of the Rat Pack, even some Classical...it just has to be good and make a bit of sense. Even some of the genre I like, like heavy metal rock is just noise to me....big diff between a pro like say Hendrix or Ozzy compared to some of the insanity. Never have understood the likes of "Mega Death" etc...just screaming noise to me.

As for personal I just can't play a note on much of anything and every time I try singing in the shower....somehow the pressure dies out and the water goes cold!

Oh an koki....I have several "Chieftains", "Weavers of the Tartan" and "Scottish Pipe Band" cd's and when the neighbors get a bit frosty with their gangsta rap crapola....speakers in the window and volume set to 10 with some good ol' 'pipe 'n drum' tunes....something like "Highland Laddie" always gets them to yell something obscene!

Blessings of Peace,

My GF blew my organ.

I told her, Dont plug it in, it's making a wierd sound.

when the tone generator comes up to speed it sounds like a weazel violating a squirrel.

and she plugged it in while I was at work. so now my tone generator is totally dead.

anyone know how to fix a 3rd gen hammond tone generator?

• 1 year later...

I have a Casio wk-3800 electronic keyboard, a trumpet and a practice chanter (for the bagpipes). I'm not very good but I practice when I can. The trumpet is for playing TAPS for the Bugles Across America group.

unless you take lessons you just have to play with it until you get good.

that's what I did. just sat alone in my house playing with my organ.

p.s. it helps to watch videos and listen to music.

Thanks +BP Corey, I have ordered lessons from Robert Laughlin. Plus there is a lot of stuff on the 'net. I tried taking lessons but the teacher was more interested in showing off than teaching. I really didn't learn much.

I have to warm up first, my organ doesn't like cold hands.

I seen that. I dont want to play with it thou,

a hammond organ tone generator has thousands of parts in it.

I need to find a pro to handle my organ.

err, no comments from the peanut gallery please.

I been told there's a gal, named "Roxanne" I believe, that you might find downtown to handle your organ dilemma Bishop... :shut::rofl:

Blessings of Peace,

..and you didn't say nutter about the peanut butter ....gallery! :D

• 3 months later...

I was a pro drummer for 40 years, so yes, I play drums..... :crazyeyes:

I also play Bass, Guitar, some Lapsteel & Recorder, a LITTLE Keyboard, and sing VERY little.

For the last 10 years I have had my own studio where I do tracks for folks around the world for a fair price, have sold close to 500 CD's of my original music, and have had my tacksed played on "Muzak" channels from the USA to Austraila.

My main styles are 60's to late 80's Rock & 40's to early 90's Country.

• 6 months later...

I play a few chords on guitar, but my real instrument is the Appalachian dulcimer. And one day I plan to buy an Autoharp, which would be appropriate, considering my namesake, the David of the Bible, played harp. I'd like to incorporate music into my ministry. What would be more healing than a gentle tune?

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic