Instruments......do You Own Or Play Any?

Cornelius

I have a few guitars and I attempt to play them. Nothing too fancy or expensive. I enjoy having them. Do any of you have or play instruments (Ravenstrikes where are you?)

My Jay Turser JT-50 Custom SG with mother of pearl and abalone inlays.

0814110554.jpg

0814110555.jpg

My Hot Rod Squier Stratocaster with killswitch and whammy bar.

straty.jpg

My Washburn-Oscar Schmidt Acoustic Electric.

schmuidt.jpg

My B.C. Rich m7 Mick Thomson Warlock.

0814110853.jpg

0814110852.jpg

My Peavey Vyper Digital Amp along with my fancy headset recording studio :lol:

0814110844.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice.... you have got me beat on the price tag end...but I can hold my own on the unique end...a picture show will have to wait until I get back from work ( yes I work on sundays, ohhh, I'm such a sinner)... I would like to borrow that SG for a weekend :)

It's really not that much money. I've been collecting them for years now so it was a little cash at very separate times.

The JT-50 I got off my old boss with a Peavy Rage 158 amp for 250, 9 years ago. I got the Schmidt at a pawn shop in South Carolina for 150. I got a peavey audtion amp for 50 bucks used. I bought the Vypr for 100 bucks on sale. The Warlock was a christmas present from a best friend. I had wanted it and he knew that. When we were growing up he didn't have it so good and he ended up needing to spend large amounts of time away from home. I would let him live at my house. My mother and I helped clothe and feed him. It was his way of saying thanks. The Hot rod Strat I got for 50 bucks used at Guitar Center. The staff was pissed because none of them had noticed it or they would have bought it. The locking tuners on it are worth like 125 new. It was 50 because guitar center had to sell it at book price. The entire thing is custom but I got to buy it for a generic squier strat price. The guy who built it left his name and address in it. One of my good friends worked for this guy for years. He is a craftsman. Other then that I just bought some new hardware for the SG. Added the abalone knobs to spice it up etc.

So as long as your in the right place at the tight time and have good friends. It's not much money at all.

Besides I bet your a hell of a lot better at playing the damn things then I am.

Edited by Brother Thorn

What kind of pipes, Koki?

If full Scots pipes - the most difficult thing is likely to be finding a field or a mountain big enough to stand in.

I have a couple of friends who play the pipes, one of whom learnt as an adult, and he said that never in his life had he so often been told to... er... go forth and multiply (the other friend learnt it as a little red-headed kid in Wester Ross in the Highlands, when all her schoolmates were learning too...). It doesn't sound great when you're learning

Northumbrian pipes are smaller and sweeter sounding, and interestingly furry...\

well, learning the very basics t'aint too bad. You start on a chanter, ignoring the bag.. and learn the basic fingering, and grace notes that make the bagpipe distinctive (since it is a continuous sound instrument, with very little room for modulation). Moving to the pipes can be done in steps, but it is still giving me conniptions. I forget to squeeze, or forget to finger, or simply forget what I am trying to play. Very awkward.. And the kid hates it. So do the cats, I think.. but they may just be appreciating it from a proper distance.

Now, I am not talented musically, so I got that agin me. I played Tuba in high school, and took a little piano a few years back, but couldn't get over the black keys.. which should give you some idea of my limitations here. but I know of people to taught themselves.. so, it is doable..

edit to add.. yes, Great highland, though I did pick up a set of "Kitchen Pipes" to give me something to work with that won't offend as much. It uses the same fingering.. But I am having a bear of a time getting it in tune.. Playing pipes is like trying to play 3 or 4 instruments at the same time, with your armpit.

Edited by kokigami

~ I played the violin. Haven't for years, arthritis & a cut tendon kinda put the kibosh on being able to do it well & ... it's depressing to not be able to do it correctly.

I was trained to be a soloist by a very strict teacher. no sitting { that's for concert violinists :rolleyes: } & to memorize the music & such.

2-4 hrs a day of practice did make me a bit rebellious by 16 & I quit the lessons { Hey! There were males out there, y'know? ;) }

I still have my beautiful violin, it's old, 'bout 300 yrs old, once owned by a gypsy { made Mr. Shapiro a bit grumpy that it had 'gypsy art' on it :lol: , inlays & initials}

He had trained his daughter on it & sold it to my parents for what it had cost just before WWII }

Very loud, being a soloist violin, had to use 2 mutes on it when practising or you heard it down the street!

That beauty does have a soul & I really do need to find someone it can sing with. It's not right to leave it alone & not creating those tones. Just not right.

I need to get on that.

• Administrator

Bagpipes are cool especially if you can play them like the Rogues!!! Belly dancers love this music

that was amazing.

Next time I'll have to turn my speakers on when I watch it :devil:

(I kid, they were amazing.........and the pipes were good, too)

Occasionally I pull out the old (30 years) Matrix guitar and strum some folk songs. Also played (but not anymore) the banjo, which I still have, gave my Casio tone bank (15 years old) to the kid, sold my zithers, trumpet and drum set some time ago. Now I just sing karaoke on Sunday nights.

B and I have between us a spanish guitar, keyboards (we'd like a piano, but no room), a flute, several penny whistles (flageolets if you want to be posh), a couple of recorders in different keys, a strange wooden reed whistle thing I got in Jerusalem, a bodhran, tamborine, a couple of maracas, a rainmaker-shaker, and I suspect a mouth organ lurking around too. I no longer have the fiddle - I tried to learn a bit but made horrible noises for too long. B plays guitar and is learning the flute, but needs to find a good teacher. He had a great teacher in the UAE, a Colombian/Italian working in the Middle East who buys all her sheet music from - a small shop about five minutes walk from our house in England. I can do a few tunes on the whistles and recorder, and I can shake those things and mind the goatskin, but I can't really play... We also have two cats that make interesting musical noises, many of them intentional...

Used to have a '73 Squier myself, EMG humbuckers, Peavey Audition 20 and a rack of pedals. Come to think of it I had also paid $50 for it back in high school, and I always loved it more than the $1500 BC Rich. There's just something sultry about the Japanese build. Beat the hell out of my car with her after a breakup and she only got better. Alas, I had to lay her to rest long ago.

Played a number of instruments over the years, my current affair is with:

6050438626_f278c7b570_z.jpg

Ancestral Pueblo ("Anasazi") in concert Bâ™­, bamboo, from Erik the Flutemaker. Clarinet and trumpet experience helps with the fingering and embouchure but it's still been the most difficult challenge I've had learning to play. Man, it's just another harsh lesson in the blues. There's no fourth! Condition grounded, but determined to try... Maybe next time a Kiowa in F. :lol:

Used to have a '73 Squier myself, EMG humbuckers, Peavey Audition 20 and a rack of pedals. Come to think of it I had also paid $50 for it back in high school, and I always loved it more than the $1500 BC Rich. There's just something sultry about the Japanese build. Beat the hell out of my car with her after a breakup and she only got better. Alas, I had to lay her to rest long ago.

Played a number of instruments over the years, my current affair is with:

6050438626_f278c7b570_z.jpg

Ancestral Pueblo ("Anasazi") in concert Bâ™­, bamboo, from Erik the Flutemaker. Clarinet and trumpet experience helps with the fingering and embouchure but it's still been the most difficult challenge I've had learning to play. Man, it's just another harsh lesson in the blues. There's no fourth! Condition grounded, but determined to try... Maybe next time a Kiowa in F. :lol:

That looks cool. If it's not too much trouble could you upload a small .wmv or similar musical file so we could hear abit of it play.

That looks cool. If it's not too much trouble could you upload a small .wmv or similar musical file so we could hear abit of it play.

I'm afraid I don't have any recording technology at the moment. If I fix that I'll share a bit with ya. I've been looking at picking up this one too, but Social Security doesn't really give me room to save for fun stuff. :)

Sadly, the only instrument I can afford is my own voice. Since my hearing is not normal, to say the least, I consider it very much an instrument in the amount of effort I have to spend to keep it tuned to make it sound pleasing to those who have normal hearing.

Despite my progressive deafness, I still love to sing, and chant, especially the Latin hymns around Easter (Salva Festa Dies) and Christmas (Veni Emanuel, Adeste Fideles, et al).

Why no banjo?

Fingers aint as nimble. I do strum it occasionally, but it is loud. Nice thing though...its hard to play a sad song on a banjo!

Click on the back image, there is a nice carved American Eagle.

post-9798-0-78658000-1313631760_thumb.jp

post-9798-0-67633400-1313631801_thumb.jp

Edited by RevRainbow

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic