Bro & Sis; Spayed And Neutered

Atwater Vitki

Well, it has been quite a few weeks for us in the pet department! First Hemet got his bladder infection, then MeShell started showing similar symptoms, but turned out to be a cyst on her bottom. Poor thing she couldn't sit and licked and licked and licked...finally after several really crabby days it broke open and drained! She is feeling much better as of the next day to our relief as we couldn't "afford" yet another trip to the vet.

Turbo got clipped (neutered) on Tuesday and Her Be was spayed yesterday and spent a miserable night at the vets. When I checked Turbo in it was pretty straight forward, but then they began with new California Legislation on "household pets". It seems some brilliant, over paid politician has made it Law now that any "multiple cat house" are required to have all pets spayed and neutered, up to date on all vaccines; rabies, distemper, a HPVC (sp?) and kidney and liver function tests.

Neuter............................. $126.50

Rabies & Distemp .........$ 42.00

HPVC..............................$ 31.00

K&L func.........................$ 57.00

Laboratory work up........$ 42.00

Sub-Total............................$298.50

Spay...............................$185.75

Rabies & Distemp .........$ 42.00

HPVC..............................$ 31.00

K&L func.........................$ 57.00

Laboratory work up........$ 42.00

Sub-Total............................$357.75

Overnight kennel,

meds and tech care.......$117.40

Grand Total....................$773.65 !!!

As you can imagine, I about fell over on the front counter! The gal at the front desk just sympathized and said "We know it's a lot, but it's really out of our hands!" and sat there expecting me to dish out the money. Instead, I asked to talk to the managing partner of the Veterinarian Clinic.

After speaking with the head honcho, getting my "senior" and "low-income" discounts, it all came to $326.10...still a LOT of money for those who have little to spare!

And...what the Law is in reality.... is for breeders, not your every day home with multiple pets. This is to insure that only healthy pets are being sold to Pet Stores and why so many pure-breds are now astronomical in price.

We could have shaved another $80-110.00 off the bill by not getting them vaccinated with the "extras", but that we feel this is important for indoor/outdoor cats in an area like ours over run with feral cats.

And this is my point of putting this up for everyone:

Be leery of the "cheap" spay/neuter signs you see at the Pet Store/Marts and be prepared to spend at least twice as much as advertised. Rabies IS required if you ever want to get your pet into a clinic! and many Spay/neuter $ costs do not include the vaccines, office visit and lab work.Now don't get me wrong, like most people it's not the $ as much as the principle and if that's what it really costs...then So Be It, but, the shelters and pounds shouldn't be advertising "$35/neuter and $65/spays".

I've posted many good Pet Care links in the "Read Me" and first topics in Pet Care so do read up on what is required for your state. Also do not feel bad about asking for any discounts and to talk to the head honcho of any clinic for the truth of what is required. Front desk gals and guys are trained to state things the way they do and do not have the authority to give the discounts.

We are grand advocates of keeping our pets healthy and spay/neuter is only responsible, but we don't feel obligated to make a Mercedes payment for the veterinarian either!!

Blessings of Peace,

:paladin:

I know in my area you can go through the aspca or humane society and get significantly lower spayings/nueterings. I think the aspca might even give you a voucher and basically get it done for half price or free. bee na while since I had to deal with it.

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, hadn't thought of that...

I have used a low cost spay/neuter program over the years for my foster dogs but we had our basic -shots already and a relationship with our vet, he even accepted the voucher

is the advice of the good vitki to consider the big picture and to consider the fine print? well advised for animal lovers everywhere!

• 5 weeks later...

~ The SPCA runs the shelter here in Reno { with a lot of donations by kind critter-lovin' folks of course! }

Right now they're advertising 'name your price' adoptions on animals over 4 mo.s, fixed & injected & chipped...

So many pets with no homes to match all the humans losing their homes doncha know :(

always ask for the vet to do your pet's operation - I found out retroactively that my cat was a "first case" for a vet tech at a local animal hospital - she had nerve damage for the rest of her life. A loving, companionable cat became a screaming, hissing mess every time she had her back stroked by someone who didn't know better....

~ The SPCA runs the shelter here in Reno { with a lot of donations by kind critter-lovin' folks of course! }

Right now they're advertising 'name your price' adoptions on animals over 4 mo.s, fixed & injected & chipped...

So many pets with no homes to match all the humans losing their homes doncha know :(

it's truly heartbreaking to see the number of animals in the shelters right now....