Visitor Dogs

grateful

so on sunday evening, as I was wishing my family a safe trip home to nocal, I received a frantic phone call from the airport

an hour before the flight, at check in, they learned that the dog would not be able to fly due to weather

(this is a good thing, but they had been told that the cabin would be pressurized, and as safe for her as the cabin )

so I went to collect her (as yet, I have no idea how long she's staying, with the heat wave and all)

note: it is not so easy to get a big dog crate into a volkswagen bug but it can be done!

she's new to our family, about six months, and I had never met her until I had the pleasure of spending a few weeks with her at the beach - we walked, talked, hung out, floated on the party dock and swam together - we had truly bonded - she's a REALLY nice dog..

she met my guy briefly so I wasn't so concerned, I knew he needed reassurance but also knew that he needs to remember how to be a dog, with other dogs

she was adopted from a breeder and had spent the first year of her life with other dogs, and it was clear - she has very nice dog manners

my guy on the other hand, behaved a bit more like boo radley than I would have liked but he's coming along..it's hard not to feed into their discomfort but best in the end to let two calm submissive dogs duke it out, yes?

dogs live in the now, they are happy and content when surrounded by love, food, shelter and play

three days in, they eat side by side, walk together, sleep together (almost) and have come to a detente of sorts, this is what is

we could learn alot from them (woof)

I just had a baby kitty show up at the door with an old break in his leg. His knee no longer works and his leg is always sticking straight out. I've been calling him "with cheese" because I misunderstood when my son called him Vachita.....

Hes such a sweet guy and so trusting, he is teaching my older cat how to be social... :)

• 2 weeks later...

see how we are? good for you brother! when we decide that we care, we no longer have to wonder who will, eh?

visitor dog is still here (!) I think I'm going to contact the guy who wrote the song about United breaking guitars and ask him to write a song about this little darling, the stranded traveler with the gorgeous brown eyes; more than two weeks now and there is still a hold on transporting pets (without a ticketed passenger) even though they travel in the same compartment...

She's an angel of a dog, and funny - she greets you, in typical lab fashion, with a toy, or if she can't find a toy, a shoe or a bottle of febreze will do! And the look on her dog face is one of sheer glee as if she had fashioned the shoe or the toy just for you!

I found two pairs of Steve's socks in her crate, and she took a dish towel out on a walk with us; we'd gone about a block before I noticed this....

• 3 months later...