Got A Favorite Book In Your Collection?

This is an original printing of 1870, of Voices in the Night : Ballads and Other Poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

longfellow.jpg

It's a hardcover, bound in green decorative cloth boards. The front and back are covered in intricate black and gilt floral decorations and etching, the pages are gilt.

In side, apart from a slight browning of the pages, it is in excellent condition.

I can not tell you how many hours I have spent with this old friend, but when I pick up it's weight I am immediately comforted, and feel a calmness which is hard to acquire sometimes. My fingers know all the curves and whorls of the flower decorations, and the weight of the book is etched upon my mind.

I am in the presence of a good, caring friend when I am quietly reading this book, and I would not sell it for the world.

Do you have a favorite book in your collection?

do you keep it locked away - or out for folks to discover as you yourself did?

What is your favorite book?

This is an original printing of 1870, of Voices in the Night : Ballads and Other Poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

longfellow.jpg

It's a hardcover, bound in green decorative cloth boards. The front and back are covered in intricate black and gilt floral decorations and etching, the pages are gilt.

In side, apart from a slight browning of the pages, it is in excellent condition.

I can not tell you how many hours I have spent with this old friend, but when I pick up it's weight I am immediately comforted, and feel a calmness which is hard to acquire sometimes. My fingers know all the curves and whorls of the flower decorations, and the weight of the book is etched upon my mind.

I am in the presence of a good, caring friend when I am quietly reading this book, and I would not sell it for the world.

Do you have a favorite book in your collection?

do you keep it locked away - or out for folks to discover as you yourself did?

What is your favorite book?

It is cool that you have that.

I have several favorite books in my collection, depending on if we are talking about fiction or non-fiction, but certainly nothing as sentimentally special as your wonderful find. I have some rare and old tombs dating back to the 19th and early 20th century, but nothing I call a favorite or something that gives me comfort.

Very cool Michael. I have a large collection with some gems in it. I am away for a week but when I get back I might pick out a few and sahre them. Thanks for the idea. I was also thinking for a while of having a thread about peoples personal librarys where they could list all or some of their books and even take pictures in. I might just start one of those when I get back too. Thanks for the contribution.

I have a 1917 copy of The Cloister and the Hearth which I use to read at least once every three years.

The Cloister and the Hearth (1861) is a historical novel by the English author Charles Reade. Set in the 15th century, it relates the story revolving about the travels of a young scribe and illuminator, Gerard Eliassoen, through several European countries. The Cloister and the Hearth often describes the events, people and their practices in minute detail. Its main theme is the struggle between man's obligations to family and to Church.

Married to Margaret Brandt, Gerard sets off to Rome from Holland in order to escape the persecution of a vicious burgomaster as well as to earn money for the support of his family. Margaret awaits his return in Holland and in the meantime gives birth to his son. As Gerard is the favourite with his parents, his two lazy and jealous brothers decide to divert him from Holland and receive a larger share of fortune after their parents' death. They compose and dispatch a letter to Gerard informing him falsely that Margaret has died. Gerard believes the news and, stricken by grief, gives himself to a dissolute life and even attempts a suicide. After being saved from death by chance, he takes vows and becomes a Dominican friar. Later Gerard preaches throughout Europe and, while in Holland, discovers that Margaret is alive. He is afraid of temptation and in order to shun Margaret becomes a hermit. Margaret discovers Gerard's hiding place and convinces him to come back to normal life in which he becomes a vicar of a small town. Gerard and Margaret no longer live as a man and wife, but nevertheless see each other several times a week. A few years pass, Gerard's son grows up and is sent to a private school. Later, having heard that plague breaks out at the school, Margaret rushes to rescue her son, but contracts the disease herself and dies shortly afterwards. Gerard takes her demise painfully, renounces his vicarship and dies in a few weeks.

The author of The Cloister and the Hearth, at the end of ths story, reveals that Margaret's and Gerard's son, also named Gerard, became the great Catholic scholar and Humanist, Erasmus of Rotterdam, a major historical figure. Indeed, little is actually known about Erasmus' actual parentage (apparently illegitimate), though his parents were in reality named Margaret and Roger Gerard. Reade was apparently using his imagination to fill in some historical gaps in Erasmus' background.[editorializing] The Cloister and the Hearth can easily be read as an attack on various requirements of Catholic priesthood that prevented Margaret's and Gerard's love from continuing to be consummated; and this attack is very consistent with some of Erasmus' thought.

Some peoples sez it turible to mark in dem books, other peoples sez it ok, I callz it "stud ee en"! But I do have copies that are pristine, however those look sorta funny to me. I would NEVER do such a thing to something like your Longfellow or similar collectables Bro Sky, such as a few I have, but off the shelf, retail store bought, still in print editions like these...highlight, underline and use!

My NIV Disciple's Study Bible, with Concordance, Historical Summaries, Annotations, and the 27 Doctrines of the Evangelical and my Rune-Gild's "Book of Troth" by Edred Thorsson.....

post-12600-0-79913900-1312048407.jpg

A bit of the inside of the NIV....

post-12600-0-73695100-1312048406.jpg

A bit of the inside of the BoT, which has been ravaged by water, (earthquake damaged -water heater fell over dousing a whole shelf of books) fire (one of a few things saved when my trailer house went up like a match) and a 2 year old of a friend (probably as much damage as the rest combined!)...

post-12600-0-32790600-1312048407.jpg

Blessings of Peace,

Ok now I'm nosey and want to know what those verses are highlighted on that page in the photo Reverend Al :)

Got it end of Matthew 6 and chapter 7......I couldn't wait I had to blow up picture to find out lol

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life ?

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt 6:25-34 (NIV)

Easier said then done!!!!

Edited by Fawzo

Douay-Rheims says:

Mat 6:32 For after all these things do the heathens seek. For your Father knoweth that you have need of all these things.

Int'l Standard says:

Mat 6:32 For it is the gentiles who are eager for all those things. Surely your heavenly Father knows that you need all of them!

NIV says

Mat 6:32 For the pagans run after these things and your heavenly Father knows that you need them!

ASV

Mat 6:32 For it is the unbeliever who seeks these things. Surely your heavenly Father knows that you are in need of all of them!

So perhaps this is a small example of why I have the views I do, as Strong's puts the orig Hebrew as meaning "foreigner*", not heathen, pagan or gentile. If at random, one verse can have so many variations...well Truth is sort of like mathematics, no matter how you calculate or write it, there is only ONE answer. I firmly believe that if "God" had written a text, no matter who translated into whatever language, it would read word for word identical.

And yes, to me it does indeed matter, not just as a professed Pagan, but as one who seeks Truth. Good old Kings James had an agenda, Douay-Rheims had an agenda, the creators of the NIV, ASV and RV all had agendas ....to create a work, call it the "Word directly from God" and then dispense their brand of judgment upon those who did not cow-tail to their brand of indifference and intolerance. Goodness, at least the Pagans (Teutonics) and the Heathens (Celts/Gauls) had a code of Ethics! :fear: But of course, that is simply my uneducated, purely layman's point of view! thumbsup%281%29.gif

Blessings of Peace,

:paladin:

*specifically a type of person "foreign to the Laws of Moses".

Edited by Reverend Al

ah, I we are showing our favorite Bible.....:

oldKJV.jpg

Here is the very first Bible I bought for myself. I was six years old and found this at the giant flea market, which used to be at the old movie theater at the base of the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel - on the Va. Beach side.

I have never been able to find a date for this Bible - but it is inscribed inside the front cover - it says " Dec 25, 1910 " and has " Caroline Schadt " on the front cover in gold lettering... and it is 4" X 7" ... perfect hand sized... when I bought it, the old fellow said " She would be happy that you bought this..." - he gave it to me for the small amount of change in my pocket.... but I have had it for 36 years now....

Pages are loose, I have lost a few of the blank pages at the end - but it has maps of the holy land in the appendices... very cool...

This is a KJV Bible - the wear of the leather cover has given it a very comfortable feel in your hand...

There is NO writing withn - except for the date.... :P:lol:

Wish I could upload photos but I tried two different servers and a variety of methods and still no results! :(

Anyhoo...I have two books written for and compiled by Edward R. Murrow titled "This I Believe." Volume One is dated 1952 and Volume 2 is 1954. Each book has 100 personal philosophies of (a few) historical and (mostly) prominent figures of the day from Charles Darwin, Dag Hammarskjold, Carl Sandburg, Adlai Stevenson, Helen Hayes, Helen Keller and the list goes on and on. Also, some historical biggies as Confucius, Socrates, Dante... Thoughts by artists, musicians, politicians, writers, newsfolk, leaders, movers and shakers.

It is most interesting to peruse the beliefs and philosophies of famous, or at least notable, figures of the 20th Century. I always have admired and, in a way, emulated, Edward R Murrow. I remember as a kid watching the McCarthy hearings on TV along with "See It Now" and "Person to Person." I have videos of his shows, transcripts of his messages, and books. These two editions have been a wealth of insights and diversity of thought, and, there is room for contemplation on the way others view life in general as well as their own purpose in it..

I wonder if we asked 100 prominent people today, "What do you believe (in regards to the relative importance of spiritual and moral things)?" what would their answers be.

PS: I also like to read passages occasionally from The Art of War by Sun Tzu. I have a more recent translation and commentary from 1972.

A leather-bound copy of "Goodbye To All That" printed in London - the poet Robert Graves' memoir about his experience as a young officer in the frontline trenches in France during the First World War, in which he befriended Siegfreid Sassoon, and was injured and listed as dead on his 21st birthday.

Inside, my mother wrote that she took it from a burnt-out building in Potsdammer Platz, Berlin, May 1945 - when she was there in Churchill's entourage in the aftermath of the German surrender in the Second World War.

My Dad's edition of Shakespeare's complete plays - the Everyman edition with his pencil notes... (I think he misunderstood Hamlet, actually).

A leather-bound copy of "Goodbye To All That" printed in London - the poet Robert Graves' memoir about his experience as a young officer in the frontline trenches in France during the First World War, in which he befriended Siegfreid Sassoon, and was injured and listed as dead on his 21st birthday.

Inside, my mother wrote that she took it from a burnt-out building in Potsdammer Platz, Berlin, May 1945 - when she was there in Churchill's entourage in the aftermath of the German surrender in the Second World War.

My Dad's edition of Shakespeare's complete plays - the Everyman edition with his pencil notes... (I think he misunderstood Hamlet, actually).

ouch - that resonates somewhere deep inside me..... :lol: :lol: :lol: and it may be why I do not write in my books :lol:

Douay-Rheims says:

Mat 6:32 For after all these things do the heathens seek. For your Father knoweth that you have need of all these things.

Int'l Standard says:

Mat 6:32 For it is the gentiles who are eager for all those things. Surely your heavenly Father knows that you need all of them!

NIV says

Mat 6:32 For the pagans run after these things and your heavenly Father knows that you need them!

ASV

Mat 6:32 For it is the unbeliever who seeks these things. Surely your heavenly Father knows that you are in need of all of them!

So perhaps this is a small example of why I have the views I do, as Strong's puts the orig Hebrew as meaning "foreigner*", not heathen, pagan or gentile. If at random, one verse can have so many variations...well Truth is sort of like mathematics, no matter how you calculate or write it, there is only ONE answer. I firmly believe that if "God" had written a text, no matter who translated into whatever language, it would read word for word identical.

R.A. -

Considering that when it comes to Greek it is --- all Greek to me, I may not be the best person to respond to this, however.....

My understanding is that the Greek word used ἔθνη, ethnos, basically means nation or nations. The question then arises what does the term mean within the context of the verse and how best to express that in translation. Translation is an art not a science and I would agree that there is no totally neutral translation as we all bring "baggage" to the task.

Within the context of the verse it appears that there is a comparison made between Jews and non-Jews. In that sense, ἔθνη could be translated as non-Jews even though it is obviously not the literal translation. The dictionary - good ol' Merriam-Webster - basically describes pagan and heathen as synonyms, defining same as one who does not believe in the G-d of the Bible, which, at the time of the Bible, would describe (most) non-Jews. Furthermore, that then also makes non-believer an acceptable translation. Personally I would not choose gentile as a translation even though within the context of the times it might make sense because the word as it has come to be used, although it does mean non-Jew (except to Mormons), it no longer carry the connotation of non-believer in the G-d of the Bible.

As to Strong's, I don't have the cite, but it seems to me that the Hebrew word equivalent would not be גר, ger, stranger, which your cite indicates, but rather, גוי, goy, nation.

Edited by RabbiO

• 2 months later...

I am a collector (though my wife says "hoarder" is a more fitting word), and have assembled a considerable compilation containing an ecclectic mix of every genre (fiction, non-fiction, autobiographies, biographies, science fiction, novels, as well as every textbook I ever had to purchase). My favorite book, the one I've enjoyed reading the most, and have read through the most is called Hanta Yo: An American Saga, by Ruth Beebe Hill. My first copy was a paper-back I bought in 1979. That copy disintegrated in my hands during the mid-90s, and I just recently acquired another copy in "like new" condition.

The book relates the story of a branch of the Lakota Sioux, based upon the oral traditions of the clan and a picture record of the history of the tribe from the late 1700s to the mid 1800s. It's a facinating story that, despite it's length (1100 pages), ends all too quickly. If you're interested in Native American culture, this one is a real treat.

Edited by Songster