Quotes From My Personal Collection

Here is a list of quotes that I have extracted from my notes... from my library of resources that I have built up over many years...

These are purported to be the words of the Prince Siddhartha Gautama - otherwise known as The Buddha.

I have picked out the ones that I have found special meaning in, because they are the ones I like to share on a regular basis....

They are in reverse order to the way I found them.....here goes -

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection."

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."

"Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good."

"Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two. "

"To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him. "

"To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent."

"Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue. "

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. "

"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell. "

"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act. "

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. "

"An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. "

“Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”

“To keep the body in good health is a duty...otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.”

“To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others”

“Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.”

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

“The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”

"A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.”

“However many holy words you read,However many you speak,What good will they do you If you do not act on upon them?”

“When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky”

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”

“There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.”

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”

“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.”

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

“Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.”

The quote above is something I feel that I fully understand. Not in the sense that I understand where I'm going or what I'm meant to do(I've only completed this very little) but what it truly means. I really cherish this saying.

“The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”

And wow, this one was really powerful. Why ask for crutches when you can stand on your own? To believe that you are less than another and to fully depend on them for knowledge, makes you their slave. Get up, walk, and think for yourself. Learning from people is one thing but depending on them is another.

"let yourself be open and life will be easier.a spoon of salt in a glass of water makes it undrinkable.a spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticeable".

buddha

"sometimes,if you stand at the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you,you will suddenly know everything there is to be known".

winnie the pooh

The quote above is something I feel that I fully understand. Not in the sense that I understand where I'm going or what I'm meant to do(I've only completed this very little) but what it truly means. I really cherish this saying.

And wow, this one was really powerful. Why ask for crutches when you can stand on your own? To believe that you are less than another and to fully depend on them for knowledge, makes you their slave. Get up, walk, and think for yourself. Learning from people is one thing but depending on them is another.

I can't explain to you how many meanings each of these sayings have had for me....

even the straightforward seeming ones have multiple uses....

and I have noticed over the years, by scanning them infrequently, that I am attached to those sayings which have a particular meaning at a particular time... like stumbling upon a new gem hidden in the same old pile of shiny rocks...

I also have a pile of quotes from my Hero - The Dalai Lama... :)

• Amulet locked this topic