Performing Weddings In Michigan

TomK

New to this ministry and just ordained, I live in Michigan and I take it in the State of Michigan we can perform weddings, funerals, baptism without really any hassel from the state or most county clerks? It doesn't seem like the church needs file a charter any more either?

Any updates, any info on Michigan would be most appreciated, thank you...

New to this ministry and just ordained, I live in Michigan and I take it in the State of Michigan we can perform weddings, funerals, baptism without really any hassle from the state or most county clerks? It doesn't seem like the church needs file a charter any more either?

Any updates, any info on Michigan would be most appreciated, thank you...

the biggest thing about a marriage in michigan is to make sure the paper work is filled out correctly(most counties include instructions)and you return it to the issuing county clerk within 10 days(again,most counties include an addressed envelope).beyond that,as long as your not violating any laws,the state of michigan could care less what you do as a church.

read here for starters:http://michigan.usmarriagelaws.com/

by the way,you do not need a church,or be a"pastor"in one.the state does not check.as long as your an ordained minister,you can preform a ceremony.

NO!THAT IS NOT CORRECT.

don't know who you are or where your from,but the michigan statute's are quite clear about who sends the paper work and to where.

if your refering to the monostary and want to violate michigan law,have at it.however,if you did do it this way,you had better hope and pray(literally)that they do send in the paper work.

please do not give this type of advice out when you obiviously do not know what your talking about.the law is quite strict concerning fines and the loss of the privlidge to conduct wedding ceremonies in the state.on top of which,you would cost the couple quite a bit,as michigan does NOT have a law concering the belief that the couple was married,in the event they legally weren't.

if your refering that hq modesto submits proof of ordanation to lansing,again you are wrong.and i am positive the monostary doesn't either.the state doesn't ask for proof,unless you are taken to court.the state laws are available on line,read them for yourself.

the biggest thing about a marriage in michigan is to make sure the paper work is filled out correctly(most counties include instructions)and you return it to the issuing county clerk within 10 days(again,most counties include an addressed envelope).beyond that,as long as your not violating any laws,the state of michigan could care less what you do as a church.

read here for starters:http://michigan.usmarriagelaws.com/

by the way,you do not need a church,or be a"pastor"in one.the state does not check.as long as your an ordained minister,you can preform a ceremony.

I wrote the county clerk where I live and all her reply said was as long as your a minister of a church you can perform legal marriages - so I would assume as a ordained minister of ULC I'm cool as ice to perform here in michigan. Thanks for your answer and the tip on the paper work part. TomK

I performed a Michigan wedding myself last week -- and all Michigan is concerned with is that you're an ordained minister, in *some* state; or otherwise authorized by law to perform one -- I confirmed this with two county clerks and the Secretary of State's office myself, personally, before I actually did it. The biggest issue with Michigan, is ensuring that the licenses are filled out correctly... any and all corrections that need to be made can only be done by a court-order. That's the biggest thing, IMO, when it comes to Michigan marriages.

Just make sure you get the paperwork done correctly.

I have performed literally hundreds of weddings in Michigan from 1999 to 2008, only had an issue once when the couple was from out of state. In which case the wedding has to be performed in the county the license was issued, in their case a relative was a clerk and helped them get the license.

I went ahead with the wedding but asked them to get a new license before I would sign it.

It is a good idea to keep a record of the names on the license as well, I have received a few calls asking what so-an-so's name was supposed to be. I recommend some type of professional record book, I use the "Ideal Church Record".

The number of copies of the license can vary from county to county as well.

Basically it boils down to Yes as an ordained ULC minister you can perform weddings in Michigan with no problems.

and another good reason to learn the laws instead of listening to others:it's illegal for a minister in michigan to make and/or keep a copy of the marriage license(at least the michigan ones,other states are ok with it).still sound like a good idea?

Edited by mark 45