Military Overseas

Demz

Hello. I'm stationed in the U.K. but a resident of Florida. My friend is a resident of California and wants to meet in France and get married with his long time N.Y. resident girlfriend. Where would I find the legal rules of this? Florida, NY, California, UK, or France? I know this is a little crazy but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Administrator

it would all depend on where the ceremony is to take place. In this incident, where the ceremony is to be performed in France, you'd have to check with the authorities there.

That said, there's not been much luck in getting your ULC credentials recognized outside of the US. It doesn't hurt to try, tho, and you could be the first!

Hello. I'm stationed in the U.K. but a resident of Florida.

Not pertinent.

My friend is a resident of California and wants to meet in France and get married with his long time N.Y. resident girlfriend. Where would I find the legal rules of this? Florida, NY, California, UK, or France? I know this is a little crazy but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

If they get married in France, they must investigate if their marriage is legal here in the US. It probably is, but there may be some paperwork and the obligatory machine-feeding fee involved, given that the federal government has unconstitutionally consumed it (vice being a STATE issue per the constitution), and therefor in whatever state they settle they must inquire as to the legal validity/applicablity of their union. I image they will have no issue regardless. However, when in doubt, seek a money-hungry lawyer who will be more than happy to satisfy the legal requirements for a fee.