I Don't Speak Cat...

grateful

but I have three....let's see

one came to stay with me when daughter went to europe for the summer, can't remember why she's still here. she's eleven.

the second came to us as a tiny kitten; for what it's worth, she was a "planned". I thought the dogs would like a kitten. she's seven.

the third jumped into my husbands car on the highway in the snow, when he saw the cat (kitten actually) running into traffic he pulled over, opened the car door and said "get in here tiger". and he did. he's about five.

both my daughter and my husband are cat people, they speak it fluently.

I love and have always loved dogs, and have felt a strong connection for as long as I can remember. I usually have a pack of them but at the moment, I enjoy the company of only one.

Little Bean will curl up with me sometimes but avoids the clanging and clattering of a big hunting dog mostly. Lulu let's me know everyday that she prefers the company of dogs, and George is just bad - he's a swatter, an instigator, a middle of the night cellophane or rubber band player (honestly, you'd think someone was breaking into the house)

What am I missing cat people? Am I to just admire them from afar?

My Dear Grateful,

No, you point out the very reasons many don't "like cats", but an animal lover is a "Life given by the Creator Lover" none the less, it's just that some of us have our preferences. I've had many dogs and when I lived "country" couldn't think about not having one or ten, whatever the Creator saw fit to send my way. At my peek, 22 cats, 7 dogs, 12+1 laying chickens, 8-20 rabbits (depending on the hour!) 6 hamsters and a 200 gallon fish tank and a chammilian and 4 canaries oh my! We were affectionately called "The Zoo at 97" (our street addy #) Nearly all were taken in as owners either abandoned or gave them up due to circumstances...with 7 1/2 acres a big difference than a 3/2 house in crowded neighborhood as we are now. 2 hours twice a day just cleaning kennels, broods and cages and feeding time was the most adorable pile of licks and fur ever!...but I digress... :unsure:

Cats are my chosen pets because I DON'T have to: Walk them 2-3x's per day for bathroom, clockwork routine of feeding, make room for them on lap/chair/table/couch and whatever else I had...(a "dog" to me is at least 40 #!)..and physically we just can't keep up with them any more.

We still love dogs to death but cats are independent, use a box, can be left for 2-3 days without any anxiety over their well being and usually have "their spot" off in the back room somewhere or high up on the hutches. No leash laws, no barking at everything that moves and so on...just a lot easier with cats in our older years. We always have a treat for "Coco", "Willie", "Dancer" and "Elmo", our neighbor's lap dogs who stop by when out for their walks, but "Damien" (all 8 pounds of Chihuahua!) has to stay on other side of street because he thinks cats are chase toys.

We had no real intention of getting more cats as we had our 3 older ones, but when Herbie and Turbo were hatched on our patio, well, ya know, those cute little faces and they took to us straight away, regardless that Momma cat tried to tell them "No!" She climbed my frame one of the first times I picked up Herbie and I still have those scratch scars plus her bites from last month. (Yes she's the one that took the trip)

Cat lovers have their list of reasons and so dog lovers, but the main thing, a lot like our Beliefs that we understand and respect each other for those preferences as neither "like" is better or worse, good or bad. If I could, I'd have a 100+ acres with tigers, bandikoots and lemurs oh my! Horses, racoons and even a badger or two, something about ground hogs makes me smile and squirrels are wonderful little creatures too. Oh yes, if we could, there'd be a zoo again for sure, but limited in space and physical ability, cats, well they just seem right to us!

We had a Morgan horse "Queeny" when I was a kid, so huge and oh so graceful! Mom has a pic somewhere of 8 or 9 of us kids on Queeny's back, all in our cowboy get ups. I knew a fella up in Willow Creek that had 60+ llamas and alpacas (I think I saw Fawzo there once!) for wool sales and what trippy animals they are. And I could go on and on about our affections for so many different animals.

So enjoy your dogs that give you so much pleasure and love, and we'll have our cats, rustling paper, chasing balls and crashing tables at 4 a.m. and all! Pets are simply a blessed joy, no matter what type or kind one thinks is "Best"!

Blessings of Peace,

I, too, would have a zoo, RevAl :coffee:

someday, and cats would be welcome!

(in an effort to avoid getting "cat people" after me... :shift: )

I like cats well enough, I guess I just don't "get" them the way I do dogs; totally agree that they are MUCH easier to care for..trying to arrange beach visits with work schedules and walks and feeding for himself is certainly a chore

I had a little black persian cat named Sam who behaved exactly like a dog, now him, I got

I know they bring their own gifts, maybe it's just our cats

Case in point, when I come back from the beach after a long weekend, the dog behaves as if I've been gone for months, and did not even tell him I was leaving, the cats response? oh, hello

Right?

Edited by grateful

But I have three... both my daughter and my husband are cat people, they speak it fluently...

What am I missing cat people? Am I to just admire them from afar?

You are thrice blessed. You can admire them from however close they choose to be, but never forget... they are "the boss" ;>)

Our home is a zoo too. Currently, (as it is usually in flux) we have the following:

3 Birds - "Gilbert" is a male Cocketiel, "Joey" is a male Parakeet and "Coco" is a male Love Bird. We inherited Joey and Coco when my mother passed on in April.

2 Dogs - "Anubis" is a 10-year old Boston Terrier and "Muwin" is a 9-year old mixed breed (a little dog).

3 Cats - "Jasmine" (Jazzy) is at least 16 years old and seems to have allergies; "Angel" (my daughter's cat) is about 12 years old and is a professional sleeper; and "Callie" (my cat) is about 5 or 6. Callie is the "driving force" in the house. She climbs nearly everything, doesn't use the scratching posts but prefers to claw the walls and furniture, harasses the birds, and swats at the dogs, but I love her dearly. She is the best cat (do not read best behaved) I have ever had. I have lived with a cat (or cats) nearly my entire life (didn't have a cat when I was in the Navy) and still can't say I really understand or "speak" cat.

your callie sounds like our bad george tamarack :rolleyes:

and my husband has fallen under the same spell that callie has apparently cast on you!

I had an awful situation with a parakeet and a cat many years ago and have never quite recovered. the cat had knocked the cage (from what I thought was an inaccessible location) to the floor and well, you can guess what happened next

so my love for birds was superceded by my daughters love for her cat (who was CLEARLY) a murderer..

how do you manage them together?

good to know that even cat lovers occasionally share my confusion

your callie sounds like our bad george tamarack :rolleyes:

and my husband has fallen under the same spell that callie has apparently cast on you!

I had an awful situation with a parakeet and a cat many years ago and have never quite recovered. the cat had knocked the cage (from what I thought was an inaccessible location) to the floor and well, you can guess what happened next

so my love for birds was superceded by my daughters love for her cat (who was CLEARLY) a murderer..

how do you manage them together?

good to know that even cat lovers occasionally share my confusion

Well "manage" is a loose term. Right now two of the birds are in cages on our kitchen table. Unfortunately, the cat's food/water dish is also on the kitchen table (to prevent Muwin from eating their food, which he loves better than his own dog food). We are constantly chasing Callie off the table where she often sits directly adjacent to Joey's cage. So far, she has only looked and has never made any attempt to knock any bird cages down or even tried to slip a paw throught the bars of the cage. Of course the operative phrase is "so far" :devil:

Tamarack, I think Raven meant a delicate balance in the household with multiple species. Having been there, it can get a bit overwhelming having dogs chasing the cats that are after the birds that would like nothing better than a snack from the fish tank while chattering at the snake cage...those darned little paranoid birdies...always thinking everything is out to get them! :unsure:

or

maybe he meant when all the various cages are stacked? :rolleyes:

Hopefully Sir Raven will explain himself!! :coffee:

Actually, when I had the "zoo" in Willow Creek, I was amazed how the animals themselves always figured out (for the most part) the chain of command and hierarchy around the house. I only had a few minor mishaps and the majority of those were from "Tank" our glorious boneheaded, huge mutt that never hurt a fly, but was so clumsy and curious that he could rarely investigate anything without some sort calamity.

The macaw parrot "Rasta mon" (the red/blue/green/yellow ones) could instigate complete mayhem by sneaking up behind the cats and then whistling as loud as he could! Thankfully he quickly found a good home in an avian filled home and at last I heard was 38 or 39 yrs old and still going strong. He could get me a foot out of my chair with those whistles and often the cats would simply launch...haven't seen "Idiot Stick" (Siamese/tabby-one of the dumbest cats I've ever had) in quite some time! Traded a tattoo for "Rasta" and was the only bird I've ever cared for...not fair to the bird so got him adopted out to a house with several other macaws and other types of parrots.

The of course, ol' "Spike" (15 # of ornery, but goofy and loveable, orange tabby) absolutely loved kittens or any cat younger than him. He could get the fur flying with but a flick of his tail and would often have to have kittens taken away from him as he'd lick them until they were bald in spots. He was a funny boy instigator for sure! Always up to something.

Blessings of Peace and hopefully no pieces within a multi-species home!

my rat got tired of the nextdoor dog shoving his fat nose in her cage on the patio one day. he would shove his fat wet nose in her cage anytime he wanted. until she bit him. he don't come over anymore to see her. makes sence, if it annoys you, bite it.

Not sure I get your meaning.

Rev. Al and Bishop Corey explained quite well...its about maintaining environments. Rev. Al kind of extended my line of thought, and I suppose it could be further extended to human environments...but I was at the time picturing a bird cage and thinking that while the birds live in a created environment that provides them with safety and security, jumping around chirping and doing the things that birds do, they are also deprived of their natural defense of flying away. This is why we must be careful with cages. We like to keep cute things contained, lest they fly off. Of course its all for their own good. :ph34r:

Tamarack, I think Raven meant a delicate balance in the household with multiple species. Having been there, it can get a bit overwhelming having dogs chasing the cats that are after the birds that would like nothing better than a snack from the fish tank while chattering at the snake cage...those darned little paranoid birdies...always thinking everything is out to get them! :unsure:

or

maybe he meant when all the various cages are stacked? :rolleyes:

Hopefully Sir Raven will explain himself!! :coffee:

Actually, when I had the "zoo" in Willow Creek, I was amazed how the animals themselves always figured out (for the most part) the chain of command and hierarchy around the house. I only had a few minor mishaps and the majority of those were from "Tank" our glorious boneheaded, huge mutt that never hurt a fly, but was so clumsy and curious that he could rarely investigate anything without some sort calamity.

The macaw parrot "Rasta mon" (the red/blue/green/yellow ones) could instigate complete mayhem by sneaking up behind the cats and then whistling as loud as he could! Thankfully he quickly found a good home in an avian filled home and at last I heard was 38 or 39 yrs old and still going strong. He could get me a foot out of my chair with those whistles and often the cats would simply launch...haven't seen "Idiot Stick" (Siamese/tabby-one of the dumbest cats I've ever had) in quite some time! Traded a tattoo for "Rasta" and was the only bird I've ever cared for...not fair to the bird so got him adopted out to a house with several other macaws and other types of parrots.

The of course, ol' "Spike" (15 # of ornery, but goofy and loveable, orange tabby) absolutely loved kittens or any cat younger than him. He could get the fur flying with but a flick of his tail and would often have to have kittens taken away from him as he'd lick them until they were bald in spots. He was a funny boy instigator for sure! Always up to something.

Blessings of Peace and hopefully no pieces within a multi-species home!

My dad ended up with a large white parroty thing..... big white crest on it's head.... it was taken off a fishing boat that was being docked... it had the most horrendous language.... no one could stand it but my dad.... imagine sitting in your living room to the glaring f-words and M-F's ..... EVERYTHING the bird said was preceeded by a string of the foulest cursing you ever heard....

The things folks will do for fun..... wonder if they ever considered - as Rev Al said.... those kinds of birds live a looooong time....

Edited by Brother Michael Sky

Parrots, like children, only mimic what they are taught, it's very annoying when the owners think it's funny or cute to teach the bird foulness. I lived in a rented room at a house with a macaw like the described from the boat. "Good f'ing morning" got old real quick.

The little I know about macaws/parrots is that many species can live 70-80++ years, about the same life span as humans.

I'll try to find it, but in 5th/6th grade I read a book (remember when schools had "book clubs"??) My Life with Winfred, (winnifree, minford)...something like that ...(it may have been titled just the bird's name, I simply do not recall at the moment)...chronicled the life of a man from birth through death at age 91 and his Amazon Parrot that his father got for him on his second birthday. The book began with the parrot egg hatching the same day as the baby was born and the father seeing the birth date on the cage when looking for something "special" for his son's b-day present.

The biggest part I recall about the book was that at the man's funeral, the parrot wept and cried on his casket, then went to the 70 yr old son's lap and "went to (eternal) sleep". A very touching story and one I think any kid of any age would enjoy. Oooooops, my bad, that's not a video game is it?! Oh well maybe more-so us 50+ yr old kids hhehehe.

Blessings,

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My Dear Grateful,

No, you point out the very reasons many don't "like cats", but an animal lover is a "Life given by the Creator Lover" none the less, it's just that some of us have our preferences. I've had many dogs and when I lived "country" couldn't think about not having one or ten, whatever the Creator saw fit to send my way. At my peek, 22 cats, 7 dogs, 12+1 laying chickens, 8-20 rabbits (depending on the hour!) 6 hamsters and a 200 gallon fish tank and a chammilian and 4 canaries oh my! We were affectionately called "The Zoo at 97" (our street addy #) Nearly all were taken in as owners either abandoned or gave them up due to circumstances...with 7 1/2 acres a big difference than a 3/2 house in crowded neighborhood as we are now. 2 hours twice a day just cleaning kennels, broods and cages and feeding time was the most adorable pile of licks and fur ever!...but I digress... unsure.gif

Cats are my chosen pets because I DON'T have to: Walk them 2-3x's per day for bathroom, clockwork routine of feeding, make room for them on lap/chair/table/couch and whatever else I had...(a "dog" to me is at least 40 #!)..and physically we just can't keep up with them any more.

We still love dogs to death but cats are independent, use a box, can be left for 2-3 days without any anxiety over their well being and usually have "their spot" off in the back room somewhere or high up on the hutches. No leash laws, no barking at everything that moves and so on...just a lot easier with cats in our older years. We always have a treat for "Coco", "Willie", "Dancer" and "Elmo", our neighbor's lap dogs who stop by when out for their walks, but "Damien" (all 8 pounds of Chihuahua!) has to stay on other side of street because he thinks cats are chase toys.

We had no real intention of getting more cats as we had our 3 older ones, but when Herbie and Turbo were hatched on our patio, well, ya know, those cute little faces and they took to us straight away, regardless that Momma cat tried to tell them "No!" She climbed my frame one of the first times I picked up Herbie and I still have those scratch scars plus her bites from last month. (Yes she's the one that took the trip)

Cat lovers have their list of reasons and so dog lovers, but the main thing, a lot like our Beliefs that we understand and respect each other for those preferences as neither "like" is better or worse, good or bad. If I could, I'd have a 100+ acres with tigers, bandikoots and lemurs oh my! Horses, racoons and even a badger or two, something about ground hogs makes me smile and squirrels are wonderful little creatures too. Oh yes, if we could, there'd be a zoo again for sure, but limited in space and physical ability, cats, well they just seem right to us!

We had a Morgan horse "Queeny" when I was a kid, so huge and oh so graceful! Mom has a pic somewhere of 8 or 9 of us kids on Queeny's back, all in our cowboy get ups. I knew a fella up in Willow Creek that had 60+ llamas and alpacas (I think I saw Fawzo there once!) for wool sales and what trippy animals they are. And I could go on and on about our affections for so many different animals.

So enjoy your dogs that give you so much pleasure and love, and we'll have our cats, rustling paper, chasing balls and crashing tables at 4 a.m. and all! Pets are simply a blessed joy, no matter what type or kind one thinks is "Best"!

Blessings of Peace,

I love your story Atwater VItki about your family--thank you for sharing it!--there is an old Magyar saying---the one who loves animals and flowers cannot have a bad heart, neither can he be a bad person.

I always have what God sends me--used to be dogs,--now I am a catwoman--with 2 fur kids- :cupidarrow: Used to have fish and bird at one point--When they leave--I say never again, and then there is someone on my doorstep the next morning. :chococat_h4h:

blessings,

S

Cats are amazing creatures. I usually have an outside cat. I don't like cats in doors because they always seem to target my counters and table. I know where those feet have been and it disgusts me. I also do not like the smell of a home with a litter box. I have been to people's homes who say their litter boxes don't stink. That is because their noses are full of the smell and they don't notice it anymore. But I do really love and care for my outside cat. I have never had problems with rodents, although the squirrels do a lot of teasing. I have a love for dogs as well and would not have a dog in the house either if it were not the insistence of my wife. Way too much dog hair. My wife complains about it but still won't have the dog sleep outside.

they have a way of finding us somehow, indeed

mine, only two left, are now pretty much outside cats, the litter box (covered) is now outside too (yes!) I don't love the arrangement due to safety concerns but they insist, we live on a quiet cul de sac with virtually no traffic, still I know what risk is there - and yes, having a litter box in the apartment, as opposed to in the garage, drove me crazy .. if not scrupulously clean, yes, stinky.

in terms of the hair, that's why think they call it furniture (humans are often way more disgusting than dogs)

I never really understood keeping a dog outside unless it's a working dog - who actually works .. dogs aren't solitary by nature, they're pack animals, isolating them from their "pack", their people, seems unneccessarily cruel, but that's just me.