Three Little Birds

I can’t help but think of Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds” song as I begin to write this sermonette. Everything’s gonna be alright was something I should have been singing to myself all along.

Five years ago, on New Year’s Eve, I had an attack of vertigo. It really scared me because I had never experienced anything like it before. I wound up in the emergency room where the folks just thought I was drunk and let me chill on a bed for a while before sending me home.

A few days went by and I figured it was a one time event, but I prayed about it and consulted with a friend of mine who is an audiologist. A year went by and then came the second episode, more severe than the first. It happened on the same day my audiologist friend was visiting me. I became nauseous and threw up. The episode lasted the entire day.

He told me that it could be from a build up of crystals in the inner ear which would cause an imbalance, and that it basically would just get worse over time and I would just have to live with it. It was then I began some serious prayer about healing. I never wanted that horrible experience again.

I began to have momentary dizzy spells over the next few years and then this past year something began to happen, I was amazed at the amount of junk that simply began to fall out of my ears. I had tried some cleaning fluid which produced nothing much, but every so often my ear would itch and this clump of stuff fell out on its own. Also during this time, little episodes of momentary dizziness occurred which triggered an anxiety response because of my fearing another vertigo episode.

The vertigo never returned and it has been over four years. I was concerned about the dizzy spells becoming more frequent so I finally saw the doctor and began tests. Each and every time, the tests came out negative (much to my relief). It was then I realized these spells could very well be caused by anxiety and the foreboding of expecting another vertigo attack. I knew my arteries and other body equipment were okay so what was it that was happening to me?

I realized that although I was asking my heavenly Father for healing, I was not trusting Him to do so – not entirely. I had prayed for others with fantastic results in the past, but I was not at peace with my own supplications. I continued to pray and ask for guidance. I decided not to rely primarily in the doctors or anyone else but to rely solely on my heavenly Father to guide me in my decisions

It was then, as I was reading in the Psalms that the answer came. Psalm 119 (Teth) verses 67 and 71. “Before I was afflicted I went astray but now have kept thy word…It is good for me that I have been afflicted that I might learn thy statutes.” Yes, the answer was there and God was right, my affliction drove me to searching the scriptures and prayer and in doing so, drew me closer to Him. God allowed the affliction so He could be closer to me.

So last night I prayed about my tests results and asked my heavenly Father to confirm my healing through them. This morning, the doctor told me that all the tests were normal and whatever had caused the initial episodes of vertigo were gone. It was then I realized what all that gunk coming out of my ears was – my healing taking place. I also realized that it was my fear that caused the anxiety which brought on the dizziness. Yes, the doctor said it could be the blood pressure meds and, perhaps, on occasion, they are the cause, but for me, I know it was more my not trusting God and allowing my fears to control my mind.

I know I am healed and there will be no more vertigo. I will deal with my fears and anxiety and will continue to draw closer to my God for I believe He cares for us all.

I will rest in the knowledge that He cares for me and, as it says in scripture, “All things work together for good…” and, “In the day that I cried, You answered me and strengthened me in my soul.” And, “I sought the Lord and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears.” And, most of all, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all things acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.”

I know now that it is not just reading and praying that works. It is reading, praying and believing – trusting – that God does hear and answer prayer. You must ask and believe that you have received what you asked for. And, believe me, it works. I have finally learned to practice what I preach.

Most of us will say we believe in God but how many of us can say we believe God? In Marley's song, if you believe God’s word and promises, the refrain, “don’t worry ‘bout a thing, because every little thing’s gonna be alright.” Ring true. Peace.

Edited by RevRainbow

So last night I prayed about my tests results and asked my heavenly Father to confirm my healing through them. This morning, the doctor told me that all the tests were normal and whatever had caused the initial episodes of vertigo were gone. It was then I realized what all that gunk coming out of my ears was – my healing taking place. I also realized that it was my fear that caused the anxiety which brought on the dizziness. Yes, the doctor said it could be the blood pressure meds and, perhaps, on occasion, they are the cause, but for me, I know it was more my not trusting God and allowing my fears to control my mind.

I know I am healed and there will be no more vertigo. I will deal with my fears and anxiety and will continue to draw closer to my God for I believe He cares for us all.

I will rest in the knowledge that He cares for me and, as it says in scripture, "All things work together for good…" and, "In the day that I cried, You answered me and strengthened me in my soul." And, "I sought the Lord and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears." And, most of all, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all things acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths."

I know now that it is not just reading and praying that works. It is reading, praying and believing – trusting – that God does hear and answer prayer. You must ask and believe that you have received what you asked for. And, believe me, it works. I have finally learned to practice what I preach.

Most of us will say we believe in God but how many of us can say we believe God? In Marley's song, if you believe God's word and promises, the refrain, "don't worry 'bout a thing, because every little thing's gonna be alright." Ring true. Peace.

Glad to hear your vertigo is better... I've heard that dumping some hydrogen peroxide in your ears helps prevent it, apparently the bubbling action helps loosen excessive inner ear wax to where it can be swabbed out (physician heal thyself). Nonbelievers would say that the problem 'naturally' resolved itself, but like you, I believe God hears and answers. I wonder though, if you were still experiencing dizzy spells, would your faith be shaken?

I wonder though, if you were still experiencing dizzy spells, would your faith be shaken?

No doubt my faith would be challenged, as it many times is, but shaken?

I suppose it would be like the parable of the housebuilders. The house I am building with my fragile faith would shake, rattle and perhaps roll, but when that happens, I would run to the basement, standing on the bedrock foundation of my faith, Christ Jesus, surrounded by the firm walls of God's love.

My house of faith may rock and roll, the windows of hope may rattle and shatter, but the foundation of love will not crumble. For now we walk by faith and live with hope but these shall eventually pass away and what will remain will be abiding love. We must learn to rest in that love thereby increasing our faith and assuring our hope.

So, perhaps yes, shaken, but not decreased, weathered and worn by the winds and storms of life, but still standing. Where human doubt enters, one must claim spiritual assurance. It it not easy, by any means, but experience after experience of God's grace in our lives should give us greater understanding in these matters.

The peace of God is not just singing on a bright, sunshiney day, but rather singing even when the storms are raging around you!

So, perhaps yes, shaken, but not decreased, weathered and worn by the winds and storms of life, but still standing. Where human doubt enters, one must claim spiritual assurance. It it not easy, by any means, but experience after experience of God's grace in our lives should give us greater understanding in these matters.

The peace of God is not just singing on a bright, sunshiney day, but rather singing even when the storms are raging around you!

Thanks for your answer...Shaken may have been the wrong word to use, I was just curious what your reaction might have been to a prayer that went unanswered. I figured that you would have remained firm in your convictions regardless of a positive answer to prayer. I've known Christians who lose faith when they don't get what they pray for, without affirmation they begin to doubt. The apostle Paul asked 3 times that the thorn in his side be removed, but the hindrance remained, God said that His grace was sufficient. I guess faith, strength, & divine power is sometimes best displayed against the backdrop of human weakness? I often think of this prayer when I don't feel prayer is working;

I ASKED GOD

I asked God for strength that I might achieve,

I was made weak to humbly obey.

I asked for heath that I might do greater things,

I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy,

I was given poverty that I might be wise.

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men,

I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life,

I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for,

but everything I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself,

my unspoken prayers were answered.

I am among all men most richly blessed.

( Author unknown )

So last night I prayed about my tests results and asked my heavenly Father to confirm my healing through them. This morning, the doctor told me that all the tests were normal and whatever had caused the initial episodes of vertigo were gone.
I'm more than a little concerned about this. If your doctor does not know what caused it, how can he know it is gone? "I can't find anything wrong with you" is not the same as "There is nothing wrong with you". Any doctor worth his salt should make that clear to his patients...

It is worth remembering that Bob Marley died of cancer at the age of 36, and that this could have been averted if his religious beliefs had not prevented him from allowing the amputation of his toe. Perhaps he is not the best voice to listen to about medical matters...

I'm glad you are feeling better, though...

I'm more than a little concerned about this. If your doctor does not know what caused it, how can he know it is gone? "I can't find anything wrong with you" is not the same as "There is nothing wrong with you". Any doctor worth his salt should make that clear to his patients...

Perhaps I was a bit vague in describing the situation. The vertigo I experienced is usually caused by two distinct catalysts, the first being excessive compacted ear wax which pressures the ear drum, or a build up of calcified or crystallized material behind the ear drum. In either case, neither of these possible causes were now present. His comment was basically, "whatever caused the vertigo is gone." This was my confirmation that I had asked for. The doctor spoke the words I requested to hear in my prayer. Got it?

It is worth remembering that Bob Marley died of cancer at the age of 36, and that this could have been averted if his religious beliefs had not prevented him from allowing the amputation of his toe. Perhaps he is not the best voice to listen to about medical matters...

Perhaps, but I do like his music.

I'm glad you are feeling better, though...

thank you.

To Hyperreal: There is a quote from scripture that says, "With the merciful, thou will show mercy, with the upright man thou wilt show thyself upright, with the pure, thou wilt show thyself pure and with the perverse thou wilt show thyself perverse." - 2 Samuel: 26-27. Have you considered that the reason we envision God the way we do is because of the way we are?

Edited by RevRainbow

To Hyperreal: There is a quote from scripture that says, "With the merciful, thou will show mercy, with the upright man thou wilt show thyself upright, with the pure, thou wilt show thyself pure and with the perverse thou wilt show thyself perverse." - 2 Samuel: 26-27. Have you considered that the reason we envision God the way we do is because of the way we are?

You mean a psalm right?

I suppose that makes you merciful, upright and pure and me perverse in the eyes of God.

So be it.

You mean a psalm right?

I suppose that makes you merciful, upright and pure and me perverse in the eyes of God.

So be it.

I dont think you get the meaning of the word perverse as used, and, if that is the way you read my intent, so be it also.

I have a friend who lived in the mountains of western Va.

He had an insect crawl into his ear while he was sleeping.

He suffered vertigo, nausea, and hallucinations.

went to sleep a few nights later and it crawled back out - woke up a new man.... felt like getting some religion....

instead he went to work....

Shades of the Wrath of Khan, as if I aint neurotic enough already, you gotta bring up earwigs! :fear:

LOL... it was a comment upon perception - and how folks react to unusual situations....

He saw nothing more in the situation than poor luck - it was simply his ear the bug found itself in front of....

he was relieved, but saw nothing special to it...

whereas you relate it as a lesson from something of an intangible nature....

there is also the inference that our perceptions are inextricably linked with our Hopes and our Fears...

The messages we receive from the world around us are colored by the inner landscape of our mind....

Reading your perspective of the situation, my question would be : was it God who gave you the experience, a random happening which you interpret in a useful way, or your own mind reaching out with an "attention getter" about an issue which swirls inside your mind in confusion?

Reading your perspective of the situation, my question would be : was it God who gave you the experience, a random happening which you interpret in a useful way, or your own mind reaching out with an "attention getter" about an issue which swirls inside your mind in confusion?

Yes. :mellow:

• Amulet locked this topic