Mr. Milo

grateful

my beautiful boy can still be seen - out of the corner of my eye - on the trails we loved

"Milo"

Feb 27, 2006

Gordon Setter

He had a unique way about him, and people were drawn to him despite his standoffish ways.

He was fourteen and skinny as a rail. He was slow moving but still wired for sound and still funny, still loving, still naughty and relentless. He was still very handsome.

I met Milo when he was two and a half. He landed on my doorstep shaking and drooling, not a pretty picture. I could tell he was terrified but he still seemed to somehow say “nice to meet you”. He had a noble brow and a distinct way of carrying himself.

We walked to a park that day and once he relaxed , he positively pranced. We sat in the grass and sized one another up. He looked at me with those big brown eyes and seemed to smile. He could tell that I thought he was quite the looker. We came into a silent agreement at that moment. He would be my dog.

In those days, it was a busy house, complete with a station wagon, a teenager and two other dogs. Tiny urban fenced- in garden but beautiful parks and an active “dog crowd” nearby. He spent evenings at the hill romping and cavorting with his dog friends or walking on the Kelly Drive. Afternoons in the garden or tearing through the house looking for trouble. He loved it when people sang to him. He enjoyed the flute. God, a happy dog. He was shy though, and would hide behind me or a convenient piece of furniture when most folks came to call.

Life is a ride and he happily came along for it. Teenagers grow up and gardens change. The parks that he played in changed. Friends came and went. The teenager went to college and made a life for herself. Milo stayed, my friend and my companion. Through the years, through the joys and the heartbreaks this dog met me at the door with unbridled affection. Such a gentleman.

He was the rescue dog formerly known as “Reggie”. He was a cherished and beloved part of our family for almost twelve years.

Milo died on February 27th,2006. He leaves to mourn his passing his devoted mom Sharon, his beloved dad Steven, his human sister Jesse, Nori his companion and fellow Gordon Rescue, Bean and Bad Lucy, Auntie Marie and Loki, Aunties Sarah, Danielle, Leah, Marcia, Sandy and Stormy (another Gordon rescue), Grandma Harriet and Grandpa Sid, Auntie Madge and J.M.and B., a reluctant Aunt Annie, Katie and Beth, PopPop (don’t call me that dogs PopPop) Chuck, Annie, Natalie, John, Andrew and Robbie, Sharon and Bob, Mike and Sue, Franny and Danny, and finally, Daisy, Sheba, Samantha, Jet and Woofie (the dog cousins).

We'll leave the toilet seat up for you, Pal.

What a beautiful story. How our hearts break when our beloved pets pass is something so individual and private, yet we want to shout our sorrow from the roof tops.

It took me awhile to respond as I sat staring at the screen, reading over and over a few lines about who was left behind to mourn. It brought back many memories, both good and bad, of the many Spirited Souls I've let lovingly slip away to the ethers. Our love for them in life is only expressed, by such beautiful words, like those you posted above.

Many Blessings of Healing for the Shared Sorrow,

to you and yours blessed Sister

I appreciate your kind words, rev al - particularly from a fellow rescuer and one who easily understands the bonds we share, they mean alot :thumbu:

Loved them to pieces, I did, no denying. I have come to a grudging acceptance that though my time with a few fabulous four leggeds has ended, a part of each of them really does travel with me

they taught me things, they had me consider things I wouldn't have but for their presence, they made me take long walks in the woods, they made me hang out in dog parks and throw balls, and they made me laugh, alot

knowing that I gave them the love, respect and care they deserved makes me incredibly happy; and of course, those times that I was late home for work, distracted or harsh give me the necessary amounts of guilt :rolleyes:

'scuse me, the current clown prince needs a walk.....

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Remembering Mr Big Dog, sweet old Milo

six years yesterday, a long time boy-o, and I miss you my friend

I went to Dolores Park in Noe Valley the other day where I swear I saw you and Nori playing all those years ago, I took himself to run and play, and I'd swear I saw some semblence of you guys running with him

It's always such a mixed bag of emotions when we see similar pets to one's we've lost. We have a neighbor with two cats we could swear were our Gizmo and Hershey...not them, but wow, every time we see them, our day is filled with over whelming loss. Those two were something "special" in the pet world. Never had retriever cats like that. Gizmo, (from Molokai) taught Hershey, (Hemi and MeShell's sister from SoCal) to put the ring in our hand. Oh the memories of those "training days"...too cute!!

Remember Milo with Love! (As I'm certain you do)

Blessings of Peace,

• 3 months later...

Thank you for sharing the story of MIlo--he was a very special soul. You were blessed and he was blessed. We remember them so well-don`t we? Every single one of them were special--

This just a reminder to you and all of us that as we, animals carry on and we shall meet again--this is for you Grateful, Atwater Vitki and for whomever a sweet furry spirit`s soul has ever touched.

http://www.indigo.or...ridge_ver2.html

Thank you --

Blessings and love,

S

Edited by sarkany