My Sweet Old Nori

grateful

This is the story of one of my best friends. We lost her three years ago in July, at the ripe old age of sixteen...my sweet old bear was the BEST

In 1995, I agreed to drive to Central New Jersey to pick up a Gordon Setter with a bad situation and a bad reputation. I didnt know much about her other than that no one else could go and get her in a timely fashion. I had two dogs, two cats and just enough room for one more for fostering. She was to stay with me for three days until the folks at rescue could organize something more permanent for her.

The story was that she was a breeders dog who didnt get along. She was adopted and returned, adopted and returned again. She somehow ended up at a veterinarians office with no place left to go. I believe another possible home returned her. She was picked up by Irish Rescue, who contacted Gordon Rescue.

And so my trip to get her on a rainy Saturday afternoon...

It had been reported that she was not housebroken, an escape artist and not possessed of the sunniest disposition. She was evidently not great with other dogs and not very friendly. After making small talk with the folks who were holding her, I put her in the back of the car and hoped for the best. We spent the next several hours trying to find our way home (Magellan Im not). I remember we listened to the Grateful Dead Hour on WXPN. As I checked the rear view mirror throughout the trip, she sat facing forward, regarding me with interest. She responded to my gentle questioning with a cheerful thump of her tail.

When we got back to Philadelphia, we met my other dogs at the park. She interacted with them well after a few moments of introduction and was soon playing. At home, she followed the boys out to the garden to do her business. Later, she followed us upstairs to bed, happily joining the pile of dogs on the floor and fell asleep.

Maybe I picked up the wrong dog.

She was beautiful. She had a fine, intelligent face and a calm disposition. She was a welcome change from my rowdy and crazy boys. She followed me everywhere and seemed pleased just to be exactly where she was.

I realized that her place was with me. The reason she hadnt been exhibiting any of the negative behaviors was clear - she thought she was home.

Its been almost twelve years now and our three days are almost up. My lovely old girl, go easy. I dont want to write her eulogy as she slumbers at my feet, but I know I need to

begin the process of letting her go. She has been of one of the most magnificent beings to share my life.

She has taught me to live with quiet grace, to listen intently when someone I love is speaking, to be comfortable in my own skin and to regard the world with interest and optimism because, as she sees it, one can always look forward to dinner and a walk.

Edited by grateful

If there's typo's, it's due to watery eyes, Grateful. Even after 3 years, I'm sure it's difficult to extend to us your remembrances of the loving pet and shared joy you had with Nori. (Or was "Iron" on her tag in the mirror?? :rolleyes: )

What a magnificent story of two energies being in the right place at the right time! Even "good" pet owners often fail to understand the vocal connection between us and critters. Your calm, quieting voice talking to her in the car let her know she was going to a good place. I'll bet you are one of those folk that gets along with/can approach/interacts with animals that others have labeled mean, vicious or crazy. That is so cool! I love it when that happens.

Kay and I know from many experiences how well the vocal connection works...and of course, it's not the words, rather, the tone of voice that makes the connection happen. We wish more people would be aware of that tonal vibration in their voice and what a difference in attitude it makes to animal, and human alike.

Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt story about your beloved pet.

Blessings of Peace,

Grateful - from where I stand in life, these spirits DO come looking for us...... and such a bond will continue for much longer than we are usually willing to consider...

Your story is touching - for me it is touching in a way which gives MUCH meaning to life.

and it touches me in a place I do not let folks get to very often....

That is the blessing of our pets...

I salute you for accepting and honoring those feelings within you... You are a FINE example...

am touched brother michael, I do know what you are saying

reval, it struck me when you wrote that, "iron", I'd never thought of that - but she WAS made of iron - she was as solid as they come, serious, and a stoic - but she knew how to get her silly on and was quite good at retreiving tennis balls and frisbees in her day..

I have a few nicknames, among my favorites is "the aclu for dogs" :bag:

totally a pleasure to share her with others who know and love the four leggeds (is there a paw print thingy? if not, we need one reval..)

there IS most definitely, a soul connection :inno:

Edited by grateful

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

tomorrow will be four years since my beloved bear moved on to that place where the really good dogs go ..

while I miss her physical presence, I am eternally grateful for the lessons that this sweet one taught me

my loyal and loving girl, there will never be another like her (but there will always be room for one more in need :))

Edited by grateful

• 4 weeks later...

It's always difficult to know what to say to someone about the loss of their dearest treasure of a pet. I can only iterate I know how it feels as today is 6 years since the loss of our "Gracie", one of the sisters we brought from Molokai. It's never easy and always a moment of reflection best left to the "grieving" party.

Many Blessings and our Prayers,

It was a pleasure to revisit this thread again. It brought to mind several things, not the least of which was our loss of Brother Michael Sky, who I was happy to get to know, and appreciative of most of his time that he shared with us. "In the beginning", and for quite some time after he first bowed onto this virtual stage that we call the ULC Forum, his contributions were intelligent and insightful, and I miss him still. And I do not question, even for a moment, the decision to ban him from our midst.

I am just sorry that it had to happen. I wonder what demon he was struggling with that so adversely affected his persona, rendering him quarrelsome and confrontational. And as I dwell on this question, I realize that this could happen to any of us. We are, each of us a unique combination of genes and hormones, life experiences and brain chemistry... in many ways it is miraculous that most of the time, most of us are able to "get along" with each other..... more or less. I miss him. I wish that things had worked out differently.

On another subject entirely, but one, grateful, that is related to your "sweet Nori",

I want to tell you about "my sweet Molly". Molly too, had been "tagged", quite unfairly, with the appellation of "problem animal".

We discovered Molly on our third visit to our local non-profit animal rescue and placement society. Our previous visit had ended with us adopting "Geena", a rather large (and timid) 2 or 3 year-old "Tortie Tiger" with a funny looking tail which looked like it belonged to a rat... it was so "skinny", and long. She had enormous ( too big for her body) ears, that were only surpassed in size, by the size of her heart. She had been singled out for display as "the featured cat of the day", in the hope that the extra attention might bring her luck, in the form of finally finding someone who wanted her.

My youngest daughter and I waited in line to be admitted to the cat room, which was very crowded, with narrow isles for walk-through patrons to "shop" for a pet. We couldn't help but to listen to the yuppie couple who were ahead of us in line, as they stopped before the cage in which the "featured cat of the day" was waiting for someone to choose her. We were appalled to here this well-dressed young couple poke fun at her for her funny looks, big ears, out of proportion tail.

"Who would want a cat like that?..She is just plain ugly" I heard them snicker.

"We would", I thought... and when we finally got to the front of Geena's cage, she came right up to us, close like, and stared at us with her beautiful green eyes, and purred the loudest purr I had ever heard from a cat. "We want this one" I said to the volunteer who handled adoptions... She was delighted, and told us that Geena was such a special cat, that she often took her home with her at night, but she already had two Siamese of her own, and they would "pick on" Geena mercilessly so much that she wasn't sure she was doing Geena any favor by giving her special treatment. Geena WAS a very special cat, and was ours for several years, until that heart of hers gave out.

But this little vignette is about Molly, the cat that followed Geena in our adoption sequence.

However, I must delay that portion of my story for a couple of hours, as I have just been informed

by my "better half" that it is time to leave Cincinnati, and head home to Dayton.

So I will pick up this thread where I am leaving off... a bit later.

Edited by Bro. Hex

This is for you Grateful --and thoughts of Nori,

Also for all who have lost a treasured `fur` family member and at times one`s best friend.

A BRIDGE CALLED LOVE

It takes us back to brighter years,

to happier sunlit days

and to precious moments

that will be with us always.

And these fond recollections

are treasured in the heart

to bring us always close to those

from whom we had to part.

There is a bridge of memories

from Earth to Heaven above…

It keeps our dear ones near us