Nj Law

Rev. Lockwood

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has performed a marriage in NJ. My niece would like me to officiate at her wedding. I contacted the County Clerks Office (Mercer County) and the Township Clerk ( Hamilton Township)and no one can give a straight answer.

Just a matter of house keeping, if it matters. My niece lives in Hamilton Twp. and the wedding will be in Burlington County. Who do I need to contact, Mercer or Burlington, or both.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks and God Bless,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Rev. Lockwood,

Your ULC Ordination is legal. 99.99% of all city, county and state laws indicated that a person must be "Ordained" or a justice etc in order to be an Officiant over a legal marriage. You mentioned in your recent Status that your county only referred you back to the state. I would be confident that if that county had a specific law/mandate that excluded any specific type of Ordained person from marrying, it would be common knowledge by nearly any clerk or county official.

The first link below states clearly you are able to do the marriage: Officiants:Judges of a Federal District Court, United States magistrates, Judges of a Municipal Court, Judges of the Superior Court, Judges of a Tax Court, Retired judges of the Superior Court, Judge or the Superior or Tax Court who has resigned in good standing, any Mayor/Deputy Mayor or Chairman of any Township Committee, Village President of New Jersey, County Clerks, and every minister of every religion.

Go marry your niece! Be well and have confidence you are doing the right thing!

Blessings of Peace,

Links that will help you:

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/new_jersey/index.shtml

Specific to NJ/Mercer County

http://nj.gov/counties/mercer/officials/clerk/index.html

contact through:

http://nj.gov/counties/mercer/home/contact.html

Thank you Rev. Al,

Since I posted, I contacted "Paula" the Mercer County Clerk whom I know Personally, since I am retired from the Mercer County Sheriffs Office. She stated that a Ordained Minister of the ULC is indeed authorized to officiate in New Jersey. I mentioned that the couple both live in Mercer County but will married in Burlington County. She assured me that it would be fine. And in fact she herself has performed a few weddings in Burlington County. I also spoke with the Township Clerk in Chesterfield Township where the ceremony will be held. She also informed me that everything was good to go and I can perform the wedding for my niece.

Thank you again for your time.

God Bless,

Rev. Tim