Some old Daoist wisdom states:

"A person's heart and mind are in chaos.

Concentration on one thing makes the mind pure.

If one aspires to reach the Tao, one should practice walking in a circle."

Who likes to walk the circle?

I enjoy walking cirlces around the Stupas at http://www.stupas.org/maryland_general.html I think I will visit there again next weekend it should be quite lovely there in the Spring.

One important thing to remember when visiting Buddhist temples is don't wear socks with half the heel missing lol I felt so embarassed

One of the only times my mind is pure is when I play golf. As such, walking in a circle doesn't really work. Even on bad days when I play Army golf (hitting it to the left, then hitting it to the right, left right, left right), a zig zag pattern is the closest I can come to a circle. I generally prefer a straight line. Then again, if I ever want to get back to my car, I must eventually get turned around.....so, it is a good thing golf courses are set up in straight lines that go different directions, eventually leading back to the starting point. Much more fun and productive than a circle, which I would think would make me dizzy.

Edited to add: I recall years ago inventing and posting here a thing called Golfism. Anyone remember that?

Edited by Hooka

I've found that when I'm walking for any length of time I don't need to focus on meditating. I just seems to happen with the subject that has me the most upset always in focus even when my mind rambles a bit. If I try to control the meditation process to strictly then I don't seem to get anywhere.

Some old Daoist wisdom states:

"A person's heart and mind are in chaos.

Concentration on one thing makes the mind pure.

If one aspires to reach the Tao, one should practice walking in a circle."

I've found that when I'm walking for any length of time I don't need to focus on meditating. I just seems to happen with the subject that has me the most upset always in focus even when my mind rambles a bit. If I try to control the meditation process to strictly then I don't seem to get anywhere.

Yes, I can relate to that.

Yes, I can relate to that.

I can as well. But it is only a problem for a mind which has not been exercised. I can hold a conversation while meditating nowadays... I have meditated in Grand Central Station - on the floor with my back against the wall. I have meditated in a full amusement park.... The mind is like a muscle - use it or wonder where it has gone....

Edited by Brother Michael Sky
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, I have a really really big problem.

I cannot settle down long enough to meditate. I mean the kind of meditating that requires everything to have silence. Your environment, your thoughts, everything.

Is it possible to meditate when you're listening to music? I find when I listen to music I am concentrating very hard on my creative thoughts(because I'm a writer and an artist) and usually out of "meditating" or "daydreaming" like a mug, I get more done.

Would what I do be a form of meditation or is it really about quieting your core?

'Cause when I tried to meditate in the past.. I always got impatient or aggravated about whether I "did it right" or not. Today, I know that there is no real "right" or "wrong" way to do it.. but back then I was just so impatient and I wanted to get to the cool benefits without actually experiencing it..

~ Actually, the quote is, "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."

- A book, 'Even Cowgirls get the Blues' { & I can never remember the author's name! :wacko: }

Also from said book, " There are very few personal problems that can't be solved with a judicious application of high explosives. "

... I know. I've an odd mind. Sorry . { -ish :dirol:}

The itty bitty lap-rat dog we got swirls about in circles all the time & just makes me dizzy.

I meditate by watching the sky & clouds form & dissolve, I like that.

Used to, when living near it, watch the ocean lick the shore & the light sprinkle in the waves, hours of that & you're 'golfed'. :mike::bag:

I cannot settle down long enough to meditate. I mean the kind of meditating that requires everything to have silence. Your environment, your thoughts, everything.

Is it possible to meditate when you're listening to music? I find when I listen to music I am concentrating very hard on my creative thoughts(because I'm a writer and an artist) and usually out of "meditating" or "daydreaming" like a mug, I get more done.

Would what I do be a form of meditation or is it really about quieting your core?

'Cause when I tried to meditate in the past.. I always got impatient or aggravated about whether I "did it right" or not. Today, I know that there is no real "right" or "wrong" way to do it.. but back then I was just so impatient and I wanted to get to the cool benefits without actually experiencing it..

The mind needs training.... like a muscle...

You will make slow steady progress until you have full control of the mind...

But it could take a while to get the idea....

Yes, the idea is to "quiet" the rambling sub conscious mind, which is constantly going over the things we think, reviewing the days events, planning for future events, and just simple things which bubble to the surface of our mind... After a while , you realize that there is a "deep well" of consciousness that resides within us - that does not speak in a language... and the voice which you hear in your head is almost like another person....

Think of it like a radio - turn the radio on and there is a mish mash of vibration coming from it - doesn't make much sense - but you DO hear SOMETHING....

turn the tuner and things start making sense - you can tune in a station...

The voice you hear in your head is the static... tune it out..... seek the state of AWARENESS with no conscious thought - this is the doorway to Higher Spheres.... from here you may do whatever it is you are determined to accomplish - whether it be accessing the subconscious in a conscious manner - or focusing outwards to leave the body and satisfy curiosity...

It is the PERFECT place for prayer..... and accessing the help we are given - to find the sense in life that we sometimes cannot see...

It all sounds so very esoteric - but in actuality - there is nothing more natural and satisfying as discovering the meditative state....

But it could take a while to get the idea....

Crap! ...It took me almost ten years to figure out As above, so below; as within, so without meant, through a bunch of studying and searching..

This meditation thing might take a minute. LOL

EDIT: Searching didn't help. Neither did studying. It was through experience I actually learned it. :D

Edited by My Sanctification

Maybe a personal little trick may help you - Some folks agree with me about this - others do not.... so take it as you will...

Even with years of practice, there are times when my mind is so distracted, I have to exert a little effort to meditate.

Sometimes, since the birth of my son, it can be a difficult thing ( when I focus on the future, and his place in it... )...

I am a great one for shortcuts - I'm always impatient - so I am constantly taking in details other pass over.... looking for connections to use....

I noticed - when I am very, very quiet - and I begin to clear my mind - that I can hear the base vibration of my physical being...

I hear it as a very subtle whine.... ( not to be confused with tinnitus - I have no damage to my ears....)

ever have a ringing in your ears? Sometimes ( I said sometimes... not always... ) that is due to beings from Higher Spheres who are visiting you - for whatever reason, they have many reasons... but just as you may hear them visit - if you focus very, very closely in absolute quiet - you may be able to hear the same type thing emanating from the energy body.... ( as I said - this is about 50/50 amongst folks I speak to regularly... the Buddhist meditation instructor in my locality doesn't get what I am saying - so there's no guarantee )

This is a shortcut because we are trying to sub-consciously find our personal vibration on a conscious level - when this occurs, meditation is the result..... it is a time of harmony with the very next vibrational body... ( which just happens to be BEYOND the physical.... )

What I do is this - I clear as much of the distracting thoughts away as I can - then I focus on that whine and " let go and slowly FALL into it.... "

If you can get a hold of what I am saying in personal experience - you will KNOW what I am referring to by "falling" - if will raise fears in you that you must relax and be patient through ( I have good results by praying through the scary parts - and having trust in God )...

This is also where you may feel the connection with your sub-conscious - and realize that it has an action of it's own - for it will fear the disconnect GREATLY, because it fears that death is coming.... even with great practice - the kneejerk reactions of the subconscious remain animal... and fight for survival at the drop of a hat....

It is the soul's job to realize and actively experience the fact that it USES the physical - it IS NOT the physical... It CAN and WILL, come and go as it pleases - for that is the way it was designed....

Now, another thing might be said here - and most assuredly SHOULD be... if you intend to try this method.... :

It is probably a good thing to attempt this with the hands - one atop another - on the solar plexus... ( I meditate laying down usually - unless I am in public.. :) - no more paramedics waking me up, thanks !!! - morons... I couldn't eat for two days...)

Your desire shouldn't be to leave the body at first.... thats why you cover your sternum - this is the subconscious disconnect point - it will be the forehead when you have practice, and can consciously assume the delta state... just abide in the silence with an ear for "something" and pray, not repetitiously or with formulas, but simple thanksgiving to God and a desire to know him Greater....

What I have described is the trip to the train station..... you may take that train wherever you like - do not expect quick results - the mind is like a muscle - I'm a little buff - been at it for a while... :)

The most important thing is to practice REGULARLY - pick a good , quiet time, and devote that time - every day, to practice. Before bed, upon waking up, or an hour after you fall asleep ( set an alarm clock ) are the best times, In my experience... and practice some dedication... IT"S WORTH IT.... :lol:

That's not just for you I guess, Sancti.... for anyone who is interested....

Edited by Brother Michael Sky

Below my advice and opinion, others may have different experiences and advice, you mileage may vary.

Meditation is a way of leaving this world and focusing on another world, I believe it is hard to start and hard to maintain unless you are a 24/7 monk, but if you keep on going it it becomes more effective and you can also do it while doing light activities.

To start you could set an alarm clock, or what I use, an egg boiler timer, to say half an hour. Beginners typically start meditating and then after five minutes or so they are 'done'. You will find that in the beginning it takes at least half the time to even get relaxed, which is a prerequisite for meditation.

Try NOT to focus your mind but instead let it flow. The human brain is like a computer but the difference is that computers perhaps have 2 or 4 cores while the human brain has millions of cores. All these cores do things and you cannot stop them and have them focus on only one thing. Thoughts and ideas constantly bubble up and disappear in our brain. In Daoist meditation that realization of change become the modus operandi while the Buddhist mediation is a little bit more focused on the equanimity of mind.

Anther thing that works is to go to a meditation 'bootcamp', for instance take a 10 day Vipassana class.

Edited by hyperreal
  • Amulet locked this topic