What Makes A Person Good?

RevRainbow

I had been following Santana's thread about being called bad, and I got to wondering....:unsure:

I have been told at times that I am a good person. :inno: Jesus was called good by someone and He responded, "Why callest thou me good?"

Perhaps you have been called good also. What does that mean to you? How does that reflect back on the person who said it from your POV?

Just wondering......:coffee:

I have been told the same, from time to time.

It usually revolves around doing for others. I find that people recognize a good deed that they don't feel they have time for, or don't want to expend the time doing, or just don't bother to do - for whatever reason, that others willingly do...

When I was younger it seemed everyone said it - but it was because I was meek, kind, and helpful, until someone needed defending.... I didn't use a curse word until the age of 18, and I was the one defending helpless students in school - it was actually strange - I fought almost endlessly and got a reputation as a really nice guy...

Do you think that as people say you are a nice person, that that has an effect on one's working harder on being the "good person" or is it more a confirmation to us of what we already are? I am thinking along the lines of outside positive/negative input into our psyche.

Do you think that as people say you are a nice person, that that has an effect on one's working harder on being the "good person" or is it more a confirmation to us of what we already are? I am thinking along the lines of outside positive/negative input into our psyche.

Working with inmates, indeed with anyone, I've found that treating them with dignity (i.e., you are a good person, you've just done some bad things) is just as much an encouragement to positive behavior as treating them like worthless animals enhances the negative. What makes us good? Receiving Love. That's not an opinion, it's an observable phenomenon. The potential for good and evil lies within us all, make sure you're feeding the right wolf.

"How do we change the world? One act of random kindness at a time." ~ Morgan Freeman, Evan Almighty

Personally Rev, I feel that we bring into our sphere of influence that which is needful - for whatever reason.

I had much more need of confirmation when I was younger, ( lol - when I was nicer... )

I learned rather quickly that where one person thought I was a nice guy -others saw it as an opportunity to impose their will upon me.

The Bible had a lot of influence on my thoughts, and I pictured Jesus as a man who was able to stand up for what he believed in - to the utmost in steadfast Faith - to his Death.

I wished to emulate the Man I respected so greatly - and I was a rather a large boy... When I had to raise my hands against another, it was rather comical - because a lecture always accompanied the beating...

But I always acted out of defense of another - I wouldn't fight when insulted or teased.... it was when someone had hands put on them, I would stand and say -" here's your problem - leave that one alone... "

But it was never pride or meanness which was my motivator - I think it was because I had so many sisters - I was a defender from birth... and I had a very strong opinion of what was wrong... If I had been overly concerned about what others thought, I would never have raised my hands against another... I think it was just something I was born with Reverend, coupled with so many older sisters which made me stand up for what I thought was right....

The trend continues to this day - I will only fight in defense - and I WILL speak my belief... The reactions I get are next to meaningless to me... unless I find them helpful or they point to what I perceive as an issue I must deal with - then it is accepted and I try to work on it...

I think, to a great extent, we come here with feelings about what is right and wrong - it is our surroundings that reinforce or deny our impulses, and our reactions to our surroundings determine how much we trust our instincts...

I had been following Santana's thread about being called bad, and I got to wondering....:unsure:

I have been told at times that I am a good person. :inno: Jesus was called good by someone and He responded, "Why callest thou me good?"

Perhaps you have been called good also. What does that mean to you? How does that reflect back on the person who said it from your POV?

Just wondering......:coffee:

Being told your a good person may not be much different than being told your a bad person, consider the source. Usually when someone else showers you with compliments, watch your wallet, or get ready for that second shoe to drop. Your generally characterized as 'good' when you give to others and compliment others, but offer some constructive criticism or refuse a favor, and all of the sudden your a horrible, rude, and insensitive person.

Helping others and having compassion towards others is good, and they'll tell you so, but sometimes saying 'No' and refusing to help another person is the right thing to do, but they'll call you a bad person.

For myself and within my belief, if God is pleased with us, then we must have done something good. Our own perception of good and bad can deviate, what we define as 'good' often stems from self-interest. Being good is doing what is right, but what's right differs from person to person. JMO

Being told your a good person may not be much different than being told your a bad person, consider the source. Usually when someone else showers you with compliments, watch your wallet, or get ready for that second shoe to drop. Your generally characterized as 'good' when you give to others and compliment others, but offer some constructive criticism or refuse a favor, and all of the sudden your a horrible, rude, and insensitive person.

Helping others and having compassion towards others is good, and they'll tell you so, but sometimes saying 'No' and refusing to help another person is the right thing to do, but they'll call you a bad person.

For myself and within my belief, if God is pleased with us, then we must have done something good. Our own perception of good and bad can deviate, what we define as 'good' often stems from self-interest. Being good is doing what is right, but what's right differs from person to person. JMO

Dan, you express my sentiments almost word for word! There are many times in our lives when "NO!" is the kindest, most loving thing we can do for a person or situation. When a person has a reputation for saying "Yes", most of the time, that one "NO!" can drive people from you like jack rabbits from a hound...amazing isn't it?

I can think of two recent incidents where one "No" resulted in zero communication since...regardless of the 20+ previous "yes's"...and another being literally banned from their home despite at least 50 "Yes's"....this would be such a GREAT planet if it weren't for all the danged people on it!!!

Blessings of Peace,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Amulet locked this topic