Passover begins this coming Monday evening.

Fawzo, your concerns as expressed in years past are duly noted. My friend, one day when we take that walk I have promised, and we will take it, we can chat at length about them, although I am sure there will be some who will still feel the need to rant now about Israel's G-d and this holiday.

For all those who celebrate:

חג פסח שמח

Edited by RabbiO

Passover:

From Exodus Chapter 12:

7 And they shall take of the blood, and put it on the two side-posts and on the lintel, upon the houses wherein they shall eat it.

12 For I will go through the land of Egypt in that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.

13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and there shall no plague be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial, and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD; throughout your generations ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.

Happy Passover to all the Jews who celebrate this event!

It is a celebration, for the parents of the first born children who listened to Yahweh and put the blood on the side posts did the right thing, their children survived! Many Egyptian first born children died but I believe also many Jewish first born died as well.

Many Egyptian first born children died but I believe also many Jewish first born died as well.

Jeez, am I the only one that cares about the poor first born sheep? Must be a Franciscan thing... Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? ;)

Jeez, am I the only one that cares about the poor first born sheep?

No, I care too but that is not the point of passover.

Example:

Say God tells you to do something in order to prevent your first born to be killed and suppose you listen and do it. Then would you think it unreasonable for your ancestors to celebrate your wise action many generations later?

I believe the Jews cannot possibly be blamed for Yahweh killing first born children, it was not their responsibility.

Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour?

At all times.

Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? ;)

No.

Edited by hyperreal

I believe the Jews cannot possibly be blamed for Yahweh killing first born children, it was not their responsibility.

I don't believe Yahweh can be "blamed" for it either. That's just my opinion. I respect yours, but I humbly disagree. :)

Say God tells you to do something in order to prevent your first born to be killed and suppose you listen and do it. Then would you think it unreasonable for your ancestors to celebrate your wise action many generations later?

I don't see a lot of Jews splashing blood on their doors, and I don't see a lot of Christians drenching their robes either. There's a lot of symbolism involved.

I care too but that is not the point of passover.

You're absolutely right, killing is not the point of of passover.

מה נשתנה, הלילה הזה מכל הלילות

I don't believe Yahweh can be "blamed" for it either. That's just my opinion. I respect yours, but I humbly disagree. :)

And the respect is mutual.

I don't see a lot of Jews splashing blood on their doors, and I don't see a lot of Christians drenching their robes either. There's a lot of symbolism involved.

:lol:

I believe that honoring the traditions of one's ancestors is not wrong unless harm is done. For instance if one has objections to real lamb's blood then one could take some red paint.

חג פסח שמח to you as well Rabbi.

And Rabbi - Yasher koach to you ( I am probably using this incorrectly ) for your reminders - It is always a helpful thing to know when our friends are celebrating their holidays... and you have been an inspiration for me to learn the facts behind the celebrations you post. That can only be seen as a GOOD thing...

L'Chayim :coffee:

מה נשתנה, הלילה הזה מכל הלילות

Somebody's been reading their haggadah again!

חג פסח שמח to you as well Rabbi.

And Rabbi - Yasher koach to you ( I am probably using this incorrectly ) for your reminders - It is always a helpful thing to know when our friends are celebrating their holidays... and you have been an inspiration for me to learn the facts behind the celebrations you post. That can only be seen as a GOOD thing...

Michael,

I can use all the strength I can get, which is what you wished for me with yasher koach. If you wanted to thank me you could have said "todah" or if you were really really grateful you could have said "todah rabbah." In any event I appreciate the appreciation!

Edited by RabbiO

I also learned how to play Hava Nagila on the ancestral pueblo (Anasazi) flute. :tease:

Debating theosophical points is a useful intellectual exercise, but when it comes to worshiping the Lord I'm all about rejoicing in the glory. When we're in the Spirit, the differences really don't seem to matter.

:rabbi::whist::dance::clap2::sere::taz::clap::kick::rap::yahoo::pope:

Michael,

I can use all the strength I can get, which is what you wished for me with yasher koach. If you wanted to thank me you could have said "todah" or if you were really really grateful you could have said "todah rabbah." In any event I appreciate the appreciation!

I was of the understanding that wishing someone strength is also a method of congratulating someone for performing a good deed and wishing them the strength to continue... I realize that this is normally used in synagogue - but I tried to stretch it to cover our Forum here....

Todah Rabbah Rabbi, for your instruction... ( it's a bit frustrating to find a subject which resists all your attempts at understanding - and I find that problem with learning Hebrew - throw as much Hebrew into your conversations as you are comfortable with - I will appreciate anything shared... )

Debating theosophical points is a useful intellectual exercise, but when it comes to worshiping the Lord I'm all about rejoicing in the glory. When we're in the Spirit, the differences really don't seem to matter.

I would like to toss in a loud southern AMEN to this statement... :lol:

I also learned how to play Hava Nagila on the ancestral pueblo (Anasazi) flute. :tease:

Nope.....they sure don't matter...but ya fergitted one :paladin: ahhhch...dem crazzzzy vikings!

And, to c/p, but heart-fully meant... Todah Rabbah Rabbi, for your instruction..from me as well...not a word of Hebrew in this brain, but conceptually understood and very much appreciate the lessons, good will and attempt at getting some of us hard heads to see things in understanding!

Have a great Passover and Easter to all who do so....I'm not up for a "holiday" until Summer Solstice... :cray:

Blessings of Peace,

Absolutely no play on words or disrespect meant...

...I see it's "Hava Nagila" not "Have a tequila" as serendipity would have it; was playing on a movie Kay is watching right when I was reading that...odd the timing!

• Amulet locked this topic