Ordination State/marriage State Question

harrycovert

Hello,

I live and am getting married in Indiana and we are thinking of having my uncle marry us. My uncle would complete the ordination in order to do so. My question is this: My uncle lives in Washington state and would be marrying us in Indiana (traveling to Indy for the wedding, of course, not via satellite or anything). Does anyone know if this is possible?

I have read the state law information, but I was unclear on how that would work.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

just make sure he fills out the license correctly(and you guys do the same).

i am from michigan,and had no problems doing a ceremony(and no problem from st.joe county).

I would like to know what do you need to do a wedding...I live in GA. Thank You!!!!!

The law is pretty short and simple in this regard. The answer is yes. But if this is the only reason for ordination....

How did you get the clock on your page....NICE!!!!!!

a quick google search did not find me a direct link to the GA statutes, but I am sure they are out there, somewhere. So let this post simply serve to bump the topic for you...

Hi

You should be able to find the information you need at the office in your court house where you file your marriage license.You should also be able to get the information you require from your state representative,they are always willing to help their constituents.

Good luck

jba

• Administrator

I just corrected the link to the GA state laws. Here is the language.

§ 19-3-30. Issuance, return, and recording of license

(a) Marriage licenses shall be issued only by the judge of the probate court or his clerk at the county courthouse between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M., Monday through Saturday.

(b) (1) No marriage license shall be issued to persons of the same sex.

(2) If one of the persons to be married is a resident of this state, the license may be issued in any county of this state. If neither the male nor the female to be married is a resident of this state, the license shall be issued in the county in which the ceremony is to be performed.

© The license shall be directed to the Governor or any former Governor of this state, any judge, including judges of state and federal courts of record in this state, city recorder, magistrate, minister, or other person of any religious society or sect authorized by the rules of such society to perform the marriage ceremony; such license shall authorize the marriage of the persons therein named and require the Governor or any former Governor of this state, judge, city recorder, magistrate, minister, or other authorized person to return the license to the judge of the probate court with the certificate thereon as to the fact and date of marriage within 30 days after the date of the marriage. The license with the return thereon shall be recorded by the judge in a book kept by such judge for that purpose.

(d) The fact of issue of any unrecorded marriage license may be established by affidavit of either party to a ceremonial marriage, which affidavit shall set forth the date, the place, and the name and title of the official issuing the license.

(e) In the event that any marriage license is not returned for recording, as provided in subsection © of this Code section, either party to a ceremonial marriage may establish the marriage by submitting to the judge of the probate court the affidavits of two witnesses to the marriage ceremony setting forth the date, the place, and the name of the official or minister performing the ceremony. The judge shall thereupon reissue the marriage license and enter thereon the certificate of marriage and all dates and names in accordance with the evidence submitted and shall record and cross-index same in the proper chronological order in the book kept for that purpose.

(f) Any other provisions of this Code section or any other law to the contrary notwithstanding, the judge of the probate court of any county which has within its boundaries a municipality that has a population according to the United States decennial census of 1950 or any future such census greater than that of the county seat of the county is authorized to appoint a clerk for the purpose of granting marriage licenses in the municipality at an office designated by the judge. The licenses shall be issued only between the hours prescribed in subsection (a) of this Code section.

HISTORY: Laws 1805, Cobb's 1851 Digest, p. 282; Laws 1809, Cobb's 1851 Digest, p. 282; Ga. L. 1851-52, p. 49, § 1; Code 1863, §§ 1659, 1663; Code 1868, §§ 1702, 1706; Code 1873, §§ 1703, 1707; Code 1882, §§ 1703, 1707; Civil Code 1895, §§ 2417, 2421; Civil Code 1910, §§ 2936, 2940; Ga. L. 1924, p. 53, § 1; Code 1933, §§ 53-201, 53-211; Ga. L. 1956, p. 43, § 1; Ga. L. 1960, p. 179, § 1; Ga. L. 1965, p. 335, § 2; Ga. L. 1982, p. 3, § 19; Ga. L. 1983, p. 884, § 4-1; Ga. L. 1984, p. 1192, § 1; Ga. L. 1987, p. 409, § 1; Ga. L. 1996, p. 624, § 2; Ga. L. 1997, p. 1592, § 1; Ga. L. 2010, p. 394, § 1/SB 238.

However, there is much more to learn. Pre-marital education, blood tests, etc. etc. etc....