We May Bicker, But People Are In Jail

marechols

I have not read anything or heard anything that convinces me that we don't worship the same God, regardless of what we call Him/Her/It...

I am sure we all worship the same God. The founding Guru of my spiritual tradition said, "God is the God of all."

Hermano Luis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with Robin, that on this forum, the Bible, and subsequently those who believe in its inspiration, seems to be, IMO, the most favored to be negatively criticized.

I don't think the people who believe in its inspiration are criticized any more than others, though I may be wrong. I think those who believe and profess that the only way to truth and inspiration comes through the Bible, now they get criticized and I feel rightly so. But what else should they expect from such a lost sinful wretch as me :)

I don't think the people who believe in its inspiration are criticized any more than others, though I may be wrong. I think those who believe and profess that the only way to truth and inspiration comes through the Bible, now they get criticized and I feel rightly so. But what else should they expect from such a lost sinful wretch as me :)

Fawzo, you old reprobate, name me one sacred writing other than the Bible that has been criticized here even half as much. Im not talking about individuals and their own take on it, I mean the book by itself.

PS: I am enjoying my little geodes, thank you. Interesting when you crack open what appears to be a worthless rock, there is a sparkly treasure inside, you old wretch. :P

But what else should they expect from such a lost sinful wretch as me :)

1) Lost - No you're in Baltimore.

2) Sinful - G-d will forgive you for being a Ravens fan.

3) Wretch - Easily solved. I shall wave my miraculous cloth, in vibrant black and gold, and bring the light of the Three Rivers to your benighted soul.

Fawzo, you old reprobate, name me one sacred writing other than the Bible that has been criticized here even half as much. Im not talking about individuals and their own take on it, I mean the book by itself.

PS: I am enjoying my little geodes, thank you. Interesting when you crack open what appears to be a worthless rock, there is a sparkly treasure inside, you old wretch. :P

What other book that is represented here at ULC by its foillowers is spoken of as the only Truth and all other scriptures are lost or of Satan and those who have belief in any book except the Bible are ignorant toads?

So the Bible gets rightfully criticized more than any other work here for this very reason.

The only other person who came nigh to this level of ignorance was Dattaswami and he too created quite a stir.

1) Lost - No you're in Baltimore.

2) Sinful - G-d will forgive you for being a Ravens fan.

3) Wretch - Easily solved. I shall wave my miraculous cloth, in vibrant black and gold, and bring the light of the Three Rivers to your benighted soul.

Ah, salt rubbed in the wound after a very painful experience.

I predict you shall need that miracoulous cloth to dry a flood of tears after the AFC championship game when the Purple and Black get their G-dly revenge and ascend to the Supreme Bowl game.

What other book that is represented here at ULC by its foillowers is spoken of as the only Truth and all other scriptures are lost or of Satan and those who have belief in any book except the Bible are ignorant toads?

So the Bible gets rightfully criticized more than any other work here for this very reason.

The only other person who came nigh to this level of ignorance was Dattaswami and he too created quite a stir.

Ah, salt rubbed in the wound after a very painful experience.

I predict you shall need that miracoulous cloth to dry a flood of tears after the AFC championship game when the Purple and Black get their G-dly revenge and ascend to the Supreme Bowl game.

The way the Steelers and the Ravens play when they line up against each other, a fan of either team has reason to tremble.

You missed my point. Excluding any believer's take on the bible, why is the bible itself attacked?

Then the reason is no good, IMO. You cannot (well, should not) ban the gun because of the way some (mis)use it.

Again, Dattaswami was an individual who used sacred writings in his own writ. No one attacked the sacred writings from whence he derived his personal agenda.

I have never witnessed more fervent attempts to discredit the Bible, as though, if that could be done, its demise as the Word of God would wipe out Judaism and Christianity because then we would have nothing sacred to base our beliefs on. Yes, I am disgusted as to the way the Bible and other Sacred Books have been used by self seeking, self- important tyrants to control and manipulate the masses - yes. But it is not the Bible that provokes evil - by no means - it is the hearts of men. And I am also saddened by the way those who have experienced or witnessed these evil acts of intolerance and hate, become themselves intolerant and hateful towards any group of believers.

Like ex-smokers, some of the most aggressive attacks on the Bible have come from ex-denominational Christians! I believe this is directly attributed to the mis-use of scripture employed by the teachers within that denomination, the most noticeable attack being labeled as "hypocrite." I have experienced this situation in my own spiritual growth and can understand the emotional feeling and turmoil that comes from thinking one has been deceived. But again, it is not the Word of God that deceives, but the evil within the hearts of men. I do not disagree with the charges of what evil has been done in the Name of God through manipulation of Scripture.

Attacking the Bible (I am not referring to legitimate commentary/debate on alleged discrepancies, et al) only makes the believers in its core message more defensive. By exposing false teachers of scripture, which should be done by the more spiritual in these matters, one gains solid ground, for most believers are not drones but seekers, and will/should consider and weigh the words of two or more witnesses. Peace.

I have never witnessed more fervent attempts to discredit the Bible, as though, if that could be done, its demise as the Word of God would wipe out Judaism and Christianity because then we would have nothing sacred to base our beliefs on.

From my perspective I think it is quite clear without any doubt that the whole Book is not the Word of God any more than any other of the other great sacred scriptures of the world.

The Vedas, Upanishads, Dharmapada, Tao te Ching, Gospel of Thomas, Course in Miracles and a plethora of other writings by wonderful spiritual humans.

These other works don't justify killing humans for things like disobedience, working the Sabbath, adultery, beating slaves because they are your property etc etc. Innocent bloodshed does little to appease the Divine in these other wonderful works.

The thoughts and efforts put forth by humans aren't deemed unworthy of pleasing the Divine in these other works and humans themselves are held responsible for their own actions.

Judaism and Christianity would not disappear. People will recognize the allegory and myth and human influence and begin to look deeper for the pearls and gems of truth which still shine through the muck that has been heaped upon them through human agenda and influence. The theology could possibly become so polished and shine so bright the whole world may be drawn to it.

The (sometimes) Right Rev Rainbow apologizes for the bold face type in his subsequent response above, following the quoted passages box. I wasn't trying to be overly emphatic or anything. I was just typing with the bold thingy on and did not reduce it back to regular type. Dont want nobody to think I have to yell around here. :)

Edited by RevRainbow

The (sometimes) Right Rev Rainbow apologizes for the bold face type in his subsequent response above, following the quoted passages box. I wasn't trying to be overly emphatic or anything. I was just typing with the bold thingy on and did not reduce it back to regular type. Dont want nobody to think I have to yell around here. :)

If you did feel like yelling I'm sure you would be more than entitled to. Darn and I was feeling like a special reprobate because I thought you were yelling at me :rolleyes:

Just so you know--there are places in the bible that refer to other books...and the bible is not the only book on the earth that refers to God.

It was translated under the authority of King James: "James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its beliefs about an ordained clergy."and also please note: "The Authorized King James Version is an English translation of the Christian Holy Bible begun in 1604 and completed in 1611 by the Church of England.[3] Printed by the King's Printer, Robert Barker,[4] the first edition included schedules unique to the Church of England; for example, a lectionary for morning and evening prayer.[5] This was the third such official translation into English; the first having been the Great Bible commissioned by the Church of England in the reign of King Henry VIII, and the second having been the Bishop's Bible of 1568.[6] In January 1604, King James I of England convened the Hampton Court Conference where a new English version was conceived in response to the perceived problems of the earlier translations as detected by the Puritans,[7] a faction within the Church of England."

But the original is not even the one in use today: "The Revised Version (or English Revised Version) of the Bible is a late 19th-century British revision of the King James Version of 1611. It was the first and remains the only officially authorized and recognized revision of the King James Bible. The work was entrusted to over 50 scholars from various denominations in Britain. American scholars were invited to cooperate, by correspondence.[1] The New Testament was published in 1881, the Old Testament in 1885, and the Apocrypha in 1895.[1] The best known of the translation committee members were Brooke Foss Westcott and Fenton John Anthony Hort; their fiercest critic of that period was John William Burgon." And where is the Apocrypha now? (all these numbers correspond to the works cited for the research posted on wikipedia--if you are interested in checking any of this out)

So, you see, this book has only been around for a little over a hundred years, not since Jesus time. It was created by translating a bunch of different texts from several different languages. It has been revised, edited, had books omitted, and "tweaked" to fit the beliefs in place at the time of the editing. This is why it reads like a patchwork collection of stories, because that is what it is. It has also been used to keep people in fear and under subjugation. As I stated, God IS a Spirit. If you want to worship God, you have to do it in Spirit and in Truth. Its that simple.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the God who created all of this wonderful diversity also created messages and messengers for each of the different cultures to understand? Many of the large religions have pretty much the same story thread running through them. I can attest to this, having read them myself. I would think that a God who is Wise enough to create everything that is would be wise enough to reach all of His creations in unique ways...

And before anyone gets in a huff and says "Well, don't you think God inspired them to put it together like that?" I will go ahead and say, "Yes. It was all they could understand of Him at the time. However, we are supposed to have matured as a society. Ergo, God inspired me to write THIS, too!" Does HE inspire you and do you listen to HIM?

Now, back to the origninal subject: The woman in question has been made "an offender for a word," Pure and simple. She is in jail for having the audacity to think differently than her peers. This IS the 21st century, btw...

(Isiah 29:20-21 For the terrible one is brought to nought, and the scorner is consumed, and all that watch for iniquity are cut off: That make a man an offender for a word and lay a snare for him that reproves in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought.)

That is a truth if ever I heard one--I don't care what the source is.

Edited by marechols

There are insanities being tolerated all over the place. I tell people: Currently one in every 33 people you encounter is bipolar. I guess because I was raised by one I have a tendency to more fully understand the impact of that statement. Bipolar people are pathological liars. Bipolar people will go out of thier way to manipulate the situation to fit their reality, including murder. Bipolar people, when angered, have the strength of 4-6 grown men. People who are in ignorance of the powers of persuasion that bipolar people have tend to go along with them, until they realize, "This is nuts!" Bipolar people use fear and intimidation, and if they are in a position of power, they have people do their diry work for them. Which is why I had to include my dad and youngest brother in the protective order I had to obtain against my mother. In and of themselves, they were harmless, but she could make them do her bidding because they would not reason for themselves, and they didn't dare cross her for fear of the consequences.

And that is just part of the reason why prejudice is getting worse instead of better in this supposedly enlightened age...

Have a blessed day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Amulet locked this topic