Are You Happy?

Dan56

ARE YOU HAPPY?

ARE YOU CONTENT?

Just curious whether people consider themselves to be happy, sad, or both, depending on what day you ask them.. I am personally happy, but seldom content. I am content in what I believe, but not usually satisfied in where I'm at in life. I'm not sure its a good thing to be content, because it might mean that you want for nothing better and an attitude like that might bring all progress & growth in life to a screeching halt? Anyhow, if your happy, how did you get there?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Happiness? That's nothing more than health and a poor memory. ~Albert Schweitzer

As people spin faster and faster in the pursuit of personal happiness, they become exhausted in the futile effort of chasing themselves.

The happiness of most people is not ruined by great catastrophes or fatal errors, but by the repetition of slowly destructive little things.

Unhappiness is not knowing what we want and killing ourselves to get it.

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

You need to learn to be happy by nature, because you'll seldom have the chance to be happy by circumstance.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARE YOU HAPPY?

Extremely!!!

Just because I debate unhappy people does not mean I am one. Lest we forget life, and life in America, remain exceptional things.

You need to learn to be happy by nature, because you'll seldom have the chance to be happy by circumstance.

I think that is true for most. For me, I am happy because I have toured, seen and experienced the alternative.....and me no likey. So, understanding and appreciating the things that count leads me to happiness.

ARE YOU HAPPY?

ARE YOU CONTENT?

Just curious whether people consider themselves to be happy, sad, or both, depending on what day you ask them.. I am personally happy, but seldom content. I am content in what I believe, but not usually satisfied in where I'm at in life. I'm not sure its a good thing to be content, because it might mean that you want for nothing better and an attitude like that might bring all progress & growth in life to a screeching halt? Anyhow, if your happy, how did you get there?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Happiness? That's nothing more than health and a poor memory. ~Albert Schweitzer

As people spin faster and faster in the pursuit of personal happiness, they become exhausted in the futile effort of chasing themselves.

The happiness of most people is not ruined by great catastrophes or fatal errors, but by the repetition of slowly destructive little things.

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Dan, where did you get this one I wonder:

It's very similar to what I was once told: "Happiness is simple: Someone to love, something to do, and a dream that you look forward to"

Edited by Carl Harry Carlson

If I'm staying in the Now I'm estaticly happy unwrapping each present each moment brings me. When my mind wanders and takes me into dark areas of the past or shadowy areas of the future my happiness wanes.

Basically overall I would say that I'm a happy person.

Dan, where did you get this one I wonder:

It's very similar to what I was once told: "Happiness is simple: Someone to love, something to do, and a dream that you look forward to"

I don't remember where I picked-up that quote, but it was just a coincidence that you previously quoted nearly the same thing. I think the only quote I stole from you was; "When things get tense around here, and they do, I ask myself 3 questions: Was I on time? Am I doing the job? Am I getting along with the people? If the answer to all 3 questions is 'Yes," then I relax." A prescription for happiness no doubt.. :smart:

Its good to see that at least 3 members on this forum consider themselves happy. I almost feel guilty for not being depressed and miserable :)

I don't remember where I picked-up that quote, but it was just a coincidence that you previously quoted nearly the same thing. I think the only quote I stole from you was; "When things get tense around here, and they do, I ask myself 3 questions: Was I on time? Am I doing the job? Am I getting along with the people? If the answer to all 3 questions is 'Yes," then I relax." A prescription for happiness no doubt.. :smart:

Its good to see that at least 3 members on this forum consider themselves happy. I almost feel guilty for not being depressed and miserable :)

One thing that really makes me happy is agitating Dan and Coolhand. I'm not happy though with the idea that those actions makes me so very happy so now I wonder if I am really happy or just confused :wacko:

define happy(you knew somebody was going to do it).

Joy, gladness, contentment.... the opposite of sad. They say that happiness is not achieved by any means of "success", but I've noticed that when people achieve success, they appear to be pretty happy, at least temporarily. So happiness is derived from getting what you want. In other words, money buys happiness.

One thing that really makes me happy is agitating Dan and Coolhand. I'm not happy though with the idea that those actions makes me so very happy so now I wonder if I am really happy or just confused :wacko:

Agitating Dan? :kimmy: I'm relatively positive that your just confused :) Although I guess being a troublemaker can bring a person a certain amount of joy and satisfaction? We all get our thrills where we can.

Happiness could be defined as: the overcoming of not unknowable obstacles in pursuit of a worthwhile goal.

Yes, I get to overcome obstacles and that pleases me.

Obstacles just annoy me... So its not achieving the goal that satisfies you, but the struggle getting there?

In a general sense, yes, I'm a happy person. It's just when the little obstacles of life get in the way like noisy neighbors, satellite company's that like to sc%*! me or other various small things that there are moments of...well...that I want blood on me axe and a head in me basket to stew for dinner! Other than that, yes, I'm happy!

Blessings of Peace,

I am happy! I enjoy my freedom to think for myself. I have tried to cultivate an understanding mind and a heart of loving-compassion. That has led to inner happiness. There is a lot that I still have to accomplish, but in general terms I am satisfied.

Hermano Luis

ARE YOU HAPPY?

ARE YOU CONTENT?

I would say that I am satisfied... sometimes I am Happy, sometimes not nearly so... things are not perfect in my life, I even have some things that distress me greatly at times, but it does not detract from my overall satisfaction with where my life is at right now.

I am satisfied because I know things could be much worse...

I did a lil sermonette on this awhile back...

Happy and Content are two entirely different things...

Happy is conditional... because of someone or something, or in spite of someone or something...

Content, on the other hand is internal... it's either there or not...

so to answer your question-- generally content, not much rattles me

Happy is conditional... because of someone or something, or in spite of someone or something...

This is true... Happiness is a state of being, its an attitude. Contentment comes from inner peace and is less influenced by circumstance. You don't need to be happy to be content, and happiness is not necessarily derived from a state of contentment.

I think if your a depressed, sad, and miserable person when your poor, and then you win a lottery and become rich, your still going to be a depressed and sad person, you just won't be miserable anymore.

I agree. I am content. There are things I want but nothing I need. Methinks one must learn to be content...it's a process of self acceptance and acceptance of conditions both external and internal. I don't mean that as a resignation or being succumbed, but rather to work with, and use to the best of my ability, those things and conditions that I find myself in.

Being content does not imply that I am always happy. Things make me happy, people make me happy. Momentarily. They can also make me sad. Happiness is conditional and temporary.

I heard an old adage once that went something like: "When you walk down the street, have a smile on your face and people will walk up and (sarcastically) say, 'What's so funny?'"

ARE YOU HAPPY?

ARE YOU CONTENT?

Oh Yes! I am happy with my self, my life, my husband, my children, my grandchildren

I am often content, such as when snuggled in fluffy covers with a good book to read and a nice glass of wine... however I am not content to just sit back and let life happen, I am always awash in delightful anticipation for what life will bring next as it is ever changing and such an exciting ride on this molten centered spinning rock we call home.

• 4 months later...

I try to stay happy because I try to look onto the positive side of things in life. It may never be an easy thing but you should try to make the best out of it. A helpful tip is always try to think about something that makes you happy, this is especially effectively during stressful situations. Best of luck! :thumbu:

• 5 months later...
  • Amulet locked this topic