Halloween And Your Religion.

RevRainbow

16 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think of Halloween?

• It invites evil spirits or negative energies.
    • Don't mean Nothing.
    • I have some reservations, but it's okay.
    • It is a positive force in my belief system.

This poll is closed to new votes

Around this time of year we usually have a discussion on Halloween and the extent of participation that we allow ourselves or our kids.

I recall back when I attended a fundamentalist church, the youth group sponsored a "Haunted House:" in the basement of the church. Kids were confronted with demonic underwourld creatures waving slabs of raw meat, among other goulish sights, as they wound their way through the darkened maze. To me, it just didn't seem right at the time. It was sort of like having a Las Vegas night, it had no place in God's "House."

I'd like to know your thoughts and if you allow your children to dress up (or perhaps even yourself!), and go trick or treating. Is it okay to dress up as a princess or pirate or your favorite Transformer instead of a gruesome ogre or Freddy Krueger? Halloween is not like it used to be when I was a kid, but even so, do you think the practice invites "evil" spirits or negative energies to manifest?

And, does dressing kids as fairy tale characters or Pumpkins, Flowers, princess, somehow eliminate the "dark side" of Halloween?

Edited by RevRainbow

I assume this question is more for Christians. But to answer your question as a Pagan, there is no "evil" intent. The scary costumes are suppose to scare away spirits (not necessarily evil) because the veil between the spirit world and this world is thin.

DD and I dress up and walk around TOT. That is the extent of the kids fun stuff. Then the festivities begin with Samhain rites. We welcome the changing of the season and the new year. We honor our ancestors that have gone before us. The Goddess rests and the Horned one rules. Note the Horned one is NOT Satan. He's simply a manifestation of the masculine deity.

If you as a Christian want your kids to dress up in something a little less scary go for it. Our school system doesn't allow kids to go to school in scary costumes. Mainly because it scares some kids. They have to dress up as doctors, nurses, or something cute.

Personally I miss the way TOT use to be. Hardly anyone hands out candy anymore. Its a shame really.

Salem, the questions were for everyone. I even included Halloween as a positive force in the poll above. I am interested in the concept as far as other belief systems, as to whether it is incorporated as an observance, or is it just a day for the kids or what. Also, the interest lies in the degree of acceptance or rejection for various Christian denominations. Thanks for the response.

Salem, the questions were for everyone. I even included Halloween as a positive force in the poll above. I am interested in the concept as far as other belief systems, as to whether it is incorporated as an observance, or is it just a day for the kids or what. Also, the interest lies in the degree of acceptance or rejection for various Christian denominations. Thanks for the response.

There is no word in Hebrew for Halloween. I think that answers your question, my friend, regarding it being incorporated into Jewish observance. That of course will not stop loads of little Jewish boys and girls from donning costumes and ringing door bells. Just don't hand them those little bags of pork rinds!

I absolutely allow my kids to dress up. My son just bought a Spiderman suit, and my daughter will be a ballerina. Halloween is a HUGE deal in our house. We buy a bunch of pumpkins and have a Jack O'Lantern carving party with the neighbors; we have a mini haunted house in our basement; we dress our shih-tzu's up as little devils (my wife thinks it is cute); all in all, we have a blast. This Sunday, our UU Church will be discussing Samhain with a bunch of activities for the kiddos.

As a parent, I celebrate every holiday that I can with vigor. I think it is important to give your munchkins as many magical moments as possible, before they get too old and are too cool for all the hooplah.

I absolutely allow my kids to dress up. My son just bought a Spiderman suit, and my daughter will be a ballerina. Halloween is a HUGE deal in our house. We buy a bunch of pumpkins and have a Jack O'Lantern carving party with the neighbors; we have a mini haunted house in our basement; we dress our shih-tzu's up as little devils (my wife thinks it is cute); all in all, we have a blast. This Sunday, our UU Church will be discussing Samhain with a bunch of activities for the kiddos.

As a parent, I celebrate every holiday that I can with vigor. I think it is important to give your munchkins as many magical moments as possible, before they get too old and are too cool for all the hooplah.

I love current Halloween practices in this here U.S. of A. It's crazy fun. It is laughing at death and evil spirits and superstition. Vampires and ghosts and goblins and evil spirits don't scare us or our kids anymore, certainly not like other eras. They are simply the things of cartoons and movies and entertainment.

When my kids were little, we told them that people actually used to believe this stuff, and be afraid. It opened up discussions about death and why you don't have to be afraid to be in a cemetery. I miss those days when we helped our kids plan their costumes. We can live in a world rather free of irrational fear, if we choose to.

And for those of you who are more sensitive to the spirit world, go right ahead. Treat Halloween any way you wish. What a great way to do it, we all get to choose how we observe Halloween, if we do at all.

Hmmm. I think I'll go out and get a pumpkin and carve it, and put a candle in it, just for old time's sake. It scares away evil spirits, you know. Or is it an evil spirit itself? Depends on what sort of face you choose to put on it, I suppose.

I love walking through old cemeteries on Halloween. For our first Halloween together Dh and I went walking in one that was just down the road from our house. It was very old and no one had been buried there for a long time. The nearby church mowed it but otherwise didn't really tend the graves. Most spirits just want to be recognized.

Edited by SalemWitchChild

There is no word in Hebrew for Halloween. I think that answers your question, my friend, regarding it being incorporated into Jewish observance. That of course will not stop loads of little Jewish boys and girls from donning costumes and ringing door bells. Just don't hand them those little bags of pork rinds!

awww, man.... lil southern Jews are in for a rude halloween.... :lol:

maybe I'll just save the pork rinds for myself , so as not to offend... :coffee:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I explained to my son that Halloween is a continuation of a tradition called " Samuin ".... or summer's end... from the ancient Celt's... a time for celebrating the end of the Harvest season....

I should of known better.... " just because " is sooo much easier ..... now I know more about Halloween than I ever wanted to....

He's gonna be a warrior... he's got a BIG nerf sword.... bet I'll get enough of THAT before it's over...

Edited by Brother Michael Sky

For me, Halloween has always been a religious holiday, so I tend to see it as part of that. October 31 is All Hallows Eve, to remember those who have left us, and November 1 is All Saint's Day, to remember those departed whose values guide us.

On October 31, I usually wear all black, my color of times of reflection. On November 1, I usually wear all white, my funeral color.

Unless I know it will offend someone, I traditionally wear white at funerals, because I have always held the value that funerals are not a time of sadness, but a "going home" to one's creator - something that should be met with joy.

I think I would worry more about the television programming and the video games many children watch endlessly instead of a yearly date on the Gregorian Calendar where they get to to have some ghoulish fun.

Maybe from a psychological viewpoint allowing kids to act out some of their darker side once a year is better for them. Even as an adult practicing Pentecostal in an Assembly God church I felt the substitute type celebrations were rather lame.

The idea that this "veil" gets thinner on this one specific Gregorian calendar day seems rather suprstitious to me as well.

Halloween has no place in my religion. Nevertheless as a child I enjoyed Halloween. I always have sweets for the childre, but in my neighborhood there are few kids. My grandson is out with his mother, and he is dressed as Iron Man (with a talking mask). I had to interrupt writting for there was a group of children with their "trick or treat".

To me it is a day of having fun. I know that it is a religious holiday for others, and I respect their spirituality.

Hermano Luis

I find the history of Halloween fascinating and love that it has hung on for so long. I love this holiday and have from childhood on. Over the years we have hosted many a haunted house (some very elaborate in 4000 square foot of space and many "monsters" on hand to help with an entrance fee. We have had lavish parties and simple celebrations. I do not observe it as a religious experience or as part of my religious beliefs in any way. For me it is simply fun to go about in public out of our usual dress, attitude and even faces if we choose. Maybe we reflect the inner self, or the opposite of the inner self; maybe we choose to go grand and be a queen/king, god/goddess, devil, angel or famous human; or go scary or gory, or we choose sexy or even trampy; maybe we want pretty and sweet...so many ways to go from current to historical, realistic or total fantasy...it is all so open.

I never put restraints on my kids choices and would help make any costume they desired, my youngest once went in apparently no costume at all dressed in his "normal" clothing, when questioned about his lack of costume he would say he was a serial killer, and that they looked like everyone else.

I hate that here in the deep bible belt of Alabama most towns did TOT on Saturday because Halloween fell on Sunday, that just isn't right, I believe at times that belt cuts off circulation to their brains.

Life should be fun and I have always viewed Halloween as the ultimate let yourself go have fun (and be rewarded with candy) holiday we in America celebrate.

:kimmy:

I find the history of Halloween fascinating and love that it has hung on for so long. I love this holiday and have from childhood on. Over the years we have hosted many a haunted house (some very elaborate in 4000 square foot of space and many "monsters" on hand to help with an entrance fee. We have had lavish parties and simple celebrations. I do not observe it as a religious experience or as part of my religious beliefs in any way. For me it is simply fun to go about in public out of our usual dress, attitude and even faces if we choose. Maybe we reflect the inner self, or the opposite of the inner self; maybe we choose to go grand and be a queen/king, god/goddess, devil, angel or famous human; or go scary or gory, or we choose sexy or even trampy; maybe we want pretty and sweet...so many ways to go from current to historical, realistic or total fantasy...it is all so open.

I never put restraints on my kids choices and would help make any costume they desired, my youngest once went in apparently no costume at all dressed in his "normal" clothing, when questioned about his lack of costume he would say he was a serial killer, and that they looked like everyone else.

I hate that here in the deep bible belt of Alabama most towns did TOT on Saturday because Halloween fell on Sunday, that just isn't right, I believe at times that belt cuts off circulation to their brains.

Life should be fun and I have always viewed Halloween as the ultimate let yourself go have fun (and be rewarded with candy) holiday we in America celebrate.

:kimmy:

hahaha, that's a good one!!!!! :thumbu:

• Amulet locked this topic