Illinois Marriage Law

trip0884

I will be performing a wedding in the upcoming weeks in Jo Daviess County, Illinois. I have spoken with the county clerk and she said that it was legal as long as I was an ordained minister but she had no insight on the ULC in Illinois (if it was recognized). I was ordained by the ULC (NOT the monastery) on August 9, 2007. So my question is where do I find insight on churches/ministers of churches which are officially recognized by the state of Illinois to perform wedding ceremonies? Does anyone have any info on Illinois weddings as a ULC minister?

I will be performing a wedding in the upcoming weeks in Jo Daviess County, Illinois. I have spoken with the county clerk and she said that it was legal as long as I was an ordained minister but she had no insight on the ULC in Illinois (if it was recognized). I was ordained by the ULC (NOT the monastery) on August 9, 2007. So my question is where do I find insight on churches/ministers of churches which are officially recognized by the state of Illinois to perform wedding ceremonies? Does anyone have any info on Illinois weddings as a ULC minister?

Hi Trip,

I copied this from the state of Illinois web site. You can find the site by googling Illinois vital records - marriage laws . Then read this in Frequently Asked Questions:

Who can perform a marriage?

To be valid, a marriage must be performed by one of the following individuals:

a judge of a court of record or a retired judge of a court of record;

a judge of the Court of Claims;

the county clerk in counties having 2 million or more inhabitants (Cook County);

a public official whose powers include solemnizing marriages; or

an officiant performing the marriage in accordance with the principles of any religious denomination, Indian nation or tribe or native group provided that when such principles require an officiant, the officiant be in good standing with his religious denomination, Indian nation or tribe or native group.

More than one officiant can perform the marriage. Officiants do not have to reside in Illinois.

The person solemnizing the marriage must complete the marriage certificate form and forward it to the appropriate county clerk within 10 days after the marriage is solemnized. A newly married couple is required to file the marriage certificate if more than one officiant is involved and none of the officiants have assumed that responsibility.

Looks like you are good to go.

Edited by Carl Harry Carlson