Msn News Story That Angered Me

NEWS10 on medical mission slain in Afghanistan

Ten members of a Christian medical team — six Americans, two Afghans, one German and a Briton — are gunned down in a gruesome slaughter that the Taliban said they carried out....

~~~

Okay now this takes it too far

Why does it matter the nationalities of the Christians?

I know a few Afghani Christians in toronto

This is unacceptable

The media should not be trying to provoke an Islamic response

Release it with that headline in Afghanistan

I don't want the war here

Please correct me if I am wrong in being highly offended that this type of prejudiced journalism is allowed in the 21st century

This is no worse than the daily headlines that scream that a bank was held up by a Black man or that a murder was commited by a Hispanic Man. The crime has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the perp.

Media sells best when it evokes a reaction - unfortunately the best sales come from negativity.

I think if they'd said 'Ten aid workers killed' there's a good chance, as sad as it may seem, that the story would not have got anywhere near the intended reaction. At the same time, the friends and families of those killed may have felt that the press had shrugged it off as something insignificant compared to the killing of military personnel. It could also be a case of the media editors wanting the rest of the world to know that aid workers do come from different cultures and backgrounds.

My hope, is that this incident does not delay aid getting to the people that need it.. when we stop doing everything we can to administer medicines and humanitarian aid, even in really dangerous regions, then we become a little less human.

Edited by Rev. Lynch

• Administrator

This is unacceptable

Please correct me if I am wrong in being highly offended that this type of prejudiced journalism is allowed in the 21st century

Yup. Negative news sells.

You saw the story, it gave you an emotional response. You passed it on, for discussion. That's what they want. Get a reaction, get their name out there.

*nod*

NEWS10 on medical mission slain in Afghanistan

Ten members of a Christian medical team — six Americans, two Afghans, one German and a Briton — are gunned down in a gruesome slaughter that the Taliban said they carried out....

~~~

This is unacceptable

Ten people being murdered is what angers me... Mentioning where the 10 victims were from doesn't bother me at all. The media wasn't provoking an Islamic response, they were simply reporting another Islamic attack. The only prejudice demonstrated was against the 10 people who were executed for being Christians.

oh ok.

it was just shocking to me

I didn't consider the possibilities

Scott, don't think that "you were in the wrong" for getting angry.

You were not.

Our emotions are not (directly) within our control.

"Something" in that story elicited an emotional response from you.

Try to discover "what it was" about the story that "got to you".

Then mull over whether you "want" to feel angry about what you perceived.

It may be that you will decide:

"yes, I want to get upset over stuff like this.

Stuff like this is important to me.

I don't ever want to become complacent

about encountering "X" in the world".

Or you may decide otherwise.

Don't criticize yourself for having feelings.

It is what you do with those feelings that counts either for, or against you.

It is what you do with those feelings that can change the world.

Edited by Hexalpa

Rev. Scott,

Media HYPE and SENSATIONALISM is what SELLS news stories of any kind.

They got exactly the intended reaction out of you, anger. The old saying goes "any publicity, good or bad, is GOOD and worth the price"!!

Right now, anger, hatred and suspicion against our Muslim brothers and sisters is what it is all about. I feel the same as you about "news" like this regardless of my, perhaps different, personal reasons behind it.

Stay angry at MEDIA, we all should send a message every chance we get.

One day, some impossible dream of a day, I would like to see a NYT or Washington Post HEADLINE of : "Mr. & Mrs. 'Smiths' Golden Retriever "Happy" had puppies today. (Sub-line:=) Anyone interested should call (202)-555-1234" Of course that's the same phone number for the White House in Eraser, but ya get the picture! :P

But seriously though, I'm with ya on being very upset at how this "War" in Iraq/Afghanistan is going that I could personally choke those responsible for what it has cost the world to protect oil interests. Deliberately pitting one religion against another is an age old rationale for war, but this one, with internet, instant and live media coverage and the agendas behind it are disgusting.

Pure and simple deliberate manipulation of a created circumstance to place contentions between people that otherwise have little other than respect for each other.

Blessings of PEACE,

• Amulet locked this topic