Barack Obama

• Administrator

How do you know it is his birthday? Or, how do you know we are talking about Obama's birthday?

I have not heard yet that he has verified who he is much less when or where he was born.

Really? You're gonna come into a thread in "Prayers and Good Wishes" and attempt to derail a thread posted by a well meaning member?

Come on. You're better than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Murphzlaw1

A very good point and one that often gets accidentally or impishly overlooked. Any of us can "knee-jerk" about a statement, topic or issue and we can read our own feelings or perspective into it all too easily.

I only affirm your point as it applies to all threads and many new people are looking at the forum all the time. One of the "given" etiquettes is careful consideration of all headings LEADING to the topic of interest. So often we come in and see something interesting before we have had a chance to look, learn and feel our way around. It is good training exercise indeed and you seemed even in your response which is noble as well. :thumbu:

Edited by curenado

• 4 weeks later...

Unlike what is perceived to be much of the United States Congress and Americans, I stand behind President Obama, am proud of the man, and fully appreciate the work his administration has accomplished. I wish our society wasn't so crass and impolite to begin attacking him the moment he came into office, and then to incessantly spout their ignorance to a global forum.

I feel sorry for the groups of people whom only want to perpetuate disinformation until it festers into polarity and hatred. Absolute pity; sadness for these souls that they cannot look beyond the soundbites they continually feed upon. This trend has only corroded the integrity of American society. Most recently the "Christian" church in Florida that is intent on holding a "Burn the Koran" event. Where does this fall within the spectrum of universal acceptance and "Harm no one"?

Furthermore, what can >we< do to turn this tide of domestic hegemony "..in the name of [their] Christ", or another groups Christ, or Allah, or David, etc...? I see this totalitarian theocratic mentality as doing nothing except tearing apart the fabric of this country. Religious Freedom, so long as it's MY religion and not yours. I really am left with feeling that these fringe groups are well beyond comprehending reason.

All I have is pity for them.

Most recently the "Christian" church in Florida that is intent on holding a "Burn the Koran" event. Where does this fall within the spectrum of universal acceptance and "Harm no one"?

Furthermore, what can >we< do to turn this tide of domestic hegemony "..in the name of [their] Christ", or another groups Christ, or Allah, or David, etc...? I see this totalitarian theocratic mentality as doing nothing except tearing apart the fabric of this country. Religious Freedom, so long as it's MY religion and not yours. I really am left with feeling that these fringe groups are well beyond comprehending reason.

Well, when people opposed building the mosque near ground zero, they were referred to as Islamic bigots. So I guess anyone who opposes the Gainesville church for burning the Quran next Saturday, is a Christian bigot?

Technically, neither is illegal, so both have the religious freedom to build or burn whatever they want. I don't personally support the mosque or the book burning, so I guess religious bigotry runs in my blood :)

What purpose and effect do the ignoramuses who are going to burn the Koran hope to achieve? They are just feeding the fires of fear, hate and negativity that led to the problems which led to problems which justified the fears of those who flew into the Twin Towers.

Jesus would be so ashamed of such behaviour.

I think Barack was givien a large pile of crap from the previous regime when he took over office and everyone expected miracles. I personally feel he has done an fair job trying to make something out of a humungous pile of fecal matter that Bush and Cheney left behind.

• Administrator

This is not the place for this type of discussion. This thread was supposed to be wishing the president a happy birthday.

We have other areas in the forum more appropriate for this type of commentary.

Please note the lock sign that has been affixed to this topic and recognize that it coincides with your further inability to post in it.