Uk Weddings


Recommended Posts


Please can you tell me if a minister who is ordained into the Universal Life Church can perform weddings in this county/country and what the requirements are before they can provide a wedding service? The person I'm asking about has all the credentials confirming their ordination. they have the title Right Reverend


This question has been put to me on several previous occasions and the answer is that in order to conduct a marriage ceremony with these credentials the individual will need to approach a non denominational registered building and apply to the trustees for permission to conduct ceremonies in their church or chapel. These qualifications in themselves do not allow for the person to register a marriage in the registers held by the church or chapel.

Civil marriages are managed and conducted by the different District Registration services throughout England and Wales. These can have no religious reference or content.

I would suggest that the individual contact the minister of a local registered building where religious marriage ceremonies are performed and ask whether their skills can be used.


Linda McKellar

Superintendent Registrar and Training Officer


I have recently been ordained into the Universal Life Church

Sent to UK Law Experts 10/8/2009 at 6:31 AM

I have recently been ordained into the Universal Life Church as a minister, I have spoken to the local register office who informed me that I am legally allowed to preform weddings but only in a non denominated church or chapel, is this correct? if so How would I go about finding a non-denomination church/chapel within Gloucestershire?

Optional Information:

Province/Country relating to question : England

-- 1 Accept / 1 Question

1 Answer Accepted


10/9/2009 at 4:37 AM (22 hours and 6 minutes and 31 seconds later)


Add Bonus

Under the Marriage Act 1949 s.26 the Superintendent Registrar can authorise a religious marriage other than a Church of England or other defined denominational marriage by whoever the couple choose in a ceremony taking whatever form they like at a 'registered building'. Any building regularly used by at least 20 people for religious worship can be registered. So, the church does not need to be totally 'non-denominational', but just not Anglican, Jewish or Quaker. Under s.41 the Superintendent Registrar within the district and the Registrar General in the General Register Office must keep records of registered buildings. On a quick Google I could not find a list on the web for Gloucestershire, but if you call the register office again and ask them for a list of registered buildings they should be able to provide this to you. Alternatively you can contact the General Register Office (0845 603 7788). The problem you will have is that many churches or religious buildings which will be registered will not allow someone from a different denomination to officiate there. You will just have to ask a lot of places until you get a satisfactory response. I would particularly suggest trying University or College chapels as these are often non-denominational.

Chris_H (Online) -- Solicitor -- 100% Positive Feedback on 502 UK Law Accepts

Solicitor with 7 years experience in Commercial, Property and Consumer Legal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.