A Child'S Conversation

RevRainbow

When I was a young lad, about 9 years old, my Aunt (not a real aunt) Agnes gave me a book for my upcoming Confirmation (sort of like a catholic bar-mitzvah). It was a book that would change my entire attitude about prayer, and approaching Jesus for the rest of my life.

My family was pretty solid Catholic and I was raised in the religion, went to Catholic school (when the nuns wore those black outfits and habits and taught classes). So my early knowledge of God was as some bearded old patriarch, sitting on a throne some where in Space, of a Holy Family and a bunch of saints who we could pick and choose to pray to for specific wants.

It was all so formal, with the prescribed prayers - we used to all kneel at the family altar and pray the rosary every day on our knees – and patron saints for every malady. But it was when I opened that little book and began to read, I suddenly realized that I could just have a little talk with Jesus and maybe get some answers as to how to get in good with His Father, as well as mine.

The book was titled, "Jesus and I." translated from the original French, written by Jean Plaquevent, and published in the U.S. in 1950. It was a book for children, approved by the Catholic Church (imprimaturs, Nihil Obstinate and stuff) and so I was safe reading it.

Granted, it was a bit dogmatic, but it was the first time I realized a kid could just hold a plain worded conversation with a spiritual "biggie" and not get sent to hell for being disrespectful! So I began talking to Jesus – I became as a child, for I was a child.

Years passed by and the book was eventually lost. Several years ago, I tried to find the book and the only modern copy was much different than the one I remembered. I did find an old copy for sale on Ebay and, when I opened it up for the first time in years, the pages I read as a child were vividly recalled. Re-reading it now brings back many childhood memories (not all pleasant) and how I began to grow spiritually even within the restrictions of an organized religion.

Aunt Agnes may not have known it back then, but I have always been extremely grateful for that little book. Later, when I began reading the bible more intently (as a catholic, we were told we could not understand the bible reading it alone, so I never did), I suddenly realized that I could go directly to the Father in the Name of Jesus. I had direct access and didn't need all those saints to ask in my behalf. Having known and conversed with Jesus, He finally told me one day to just go to "Our" Father if I needed anything (I know, You'll say if Jesus IS God then aint that the same thing? Yes and no, but I don't want to get too theological here).

So now, in my medicare years, I know if I need anything, I can go to my Heavenly Father and ask, but, thanks to Aunt Agnes and her gift of that little book, sometimes, when I'm down, confused or lonely, I still go to my big brother Jesus and just plain-talk for a while.

Edited by RevRainbow

• Amulet locked this topic