Wisconsin Marraige Law

nobodycool

Hello there everyone,

I have decided to take the plunge into officiating some weddings this summer at the request of many groups of friends who want me to marry them. Upon researching the marriage laws here on the sticky threads and speaking with my local and unhelpful clerk of courts I have come to the conclusion that Wisconsin has somewhat recently changed their marriage laws. It seems as though one no longer needs to register with the clerk of courts before hand in order to prove ordination credentials. The officiant need only be ordained or licensed to officiate marriages.

My question is, does anyone have any empirical evidence to support this claim? My county clerk of courts had no idea what I was talking about when I requested information on registering my ordination credentials. I am inclined to believe this is because the law no longer requires it. I did find this information from a website regarding general clergy and state marriage laws.

Wisconsin

Any ordained clergyman of any religious denomination or society may perform marriages. WI no longer requires ministers to register in advance of a wedding, but you must be ordained or licensed or the marriage is not legal. The bride and groom will bring you an envelope with the marriage license. Fill out the portion set aside for the minister putting the name of your church (our church name is fine) and date of ordination and non-denominational if it asks your denomination. Follow the instructions in the envelope where to send the completed marriage license. It must be returned to the Register of Deeds Office of the county in which the marriage was performed. This must be done within 3 days after the marriage.

For questions call the County Clerk's Office. Here is Milwaukee County Clerk's Office number. I called them on 6-2-2009. (414) 278-4067

but I can be sure of the validity of it. I am just wondering if any of my fellow Wisconsin clergy might have some first hand information. Any help would be much appreciated. If it is the case that the law has changed I might suggest that the website be updated in order to reflect these changes and to avoid further confusion.

Hello there everyone,

I have decided to take the plunge into officiating some weddings this summer at the request of many groups of friends who want me to marry them. Upon researching the marriage laws here on the sticky threads and speaking with my local and unhelpful clerk of courts I have come to the conclusion that Wisconsin has somewhat recently changed their marriage laws. It seems as though one no longer needs to register with the clerk of courts before hand in order to prove ordination credentials. The officiant need only be ordained or licensed to officiate marriages.

My question is, does anyone have any empirical evidence to support this claim? My county clerk of courts had no idea what I was talking about when I requested information on registering my ordination credentials. I am inclined to believe this is because the law no longer requires it. I did find this information from a website regarding general clergy and state marriage laws.

but I can be sure of the validity of it. I am just wondering if any of my fellow Wisconsin clergy might have some first hand information. Any help would be much appreciated. If it is the case that the law has changed I might suggest that the website be updated in order to reflect these changes and to avoid further confusion.

The law in WI does not require registration, this is correct. I am not sure when the law was changed, but it has been like this for quite a while. I would say at least 10 years.. I assume you live in state. WI has a funny sponsorship law for non resident ministers..

Thanks for the response. I do live in the state so will not require sponsorship. I also verified with the clerk of courts after a few more calls that this is indeed correct and registration is no longer required. The website info must be a bit dated. Ah well, thanks again for the response!

Edited by nobodycool

Thanks for the response. I do live in the state so will not require sponsorship. I also verified with the clerk of courts after a few more calls that this is indeed correct and registration is no longer required. The website info must be a bit dated. Ah well, thanks again for the response!

Dear no,

I googled "Wisconsin marriage laws and got this:

765.16 Marriage contract, how made; officiating person. Marriage may be validly solemnized and contracted in this state only after a marriage license has been issued therefor, and only by the mutual declarations of the 2 parties to be joined in marriage that they take each other as husband and wife, made before an authorized officiating person and in the presence of at least 2 competent adult witnesses other than the officiating person. The following are authorized to be officiating persons:

765.16(1)

(1) Any ordained member of the clergy of any religious denomination or society who continues to be an ordained member of the clergy.

So yeh, you are good to go. Be sure to include the title, "Rev." when you sign your name.

Regards.