Performing Weddings In Us Virgin Islands

bixpam

Hello. I am an ordained minister with ULC. I am licensed to perform wedding in the State of Ohio. My friends have asked to officiate their wedding on the Island of St. Croix in the USVIs.Can anyone tell me if I need a special license from the Virgin Islands to conduct this wedding? I have tried to contact the territorial court of the island, but I never get a response. Any info on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Rev. Rob

Hello. I am an ordained minister with ULC. I am licensed to perform wedding in the State of Ohio. My friends have asked to officiate their wedding on the Island of St. Croix in the USVIs.Can anyone tell me if I need a special license from the Virgin Islands to conduct this wedding? I have tried to contact the territorial court of the island, but I never get a response. Any info on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Rev. Rob

Hello, bixpam.

I love the U.S. Virgin Islands, I'd love to perform a marriage ceremony there.

I clicked around on the internet and found this, from another ministry website:

Virgin Islands

"Clergymen or ministers of any religion, whether they reside in the Virgin Islands or elsewhere in the United States may perform marriages. ---Ministers must complete the marriage license and return it to the clerk of the municipal court which issued the license within 10 days after the marriage is performed. --- For questions see the clerk of the municipal court."

I can't guarantee it's accurate, though.

But if you contact some of the wedding planners in USVI that are listed on the internet, perhaps they can verify that you can perform marriage ceremonies there.

The sites also tell the engaged couples how to get a marriage license. The most tricky part, in my opinion, is there is an 8 day period waiting period while the marriage license application is publicly posted, so forewarn your couple about that, they'll have to send ahead for the application if they don't want an 8 day wait. Ther's no waiting period, apparently, after they pick up the license. Also, divorced people have to provide the authorities with a copy of their divorce decree.

Regards.

Edited by Carl Harry Carlson