Nyc Marriage Registration

diegogarcia

Hi,

I'm trying to get registered in NYC to perform marriages. After reading through and http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/officiant_reg.shtml I've got a few questions -

Does the online directory at http://ulc.net/index.php?page=minister_directory satisfy the requirements of option 1?

If not, does an "official" church site make available the documents needed to satisfy option 2? I see the ordination certificate available, but not the letter from a local congregation or the Articles of Incorporation. The "fake" church at themonestary.org sells a NYC package which does include the required documents, but I can't find anything on ulc.net or ulchq.com.

Has anyone actually gone through the process in NYC that could shed some light?

Thanks

• Administrator

Hi,

I'm trying to get registered in NYC to perform marriages. After reading through and http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/officiant_reg.shtml I've got a few questions -

Does the online directory at http://ulc.net/index.php?page=minister_directory satisfy the requirements of option 1?

No.

If not, does an "official" church site make available the documents needed to satisfy option 2? I see the ordination certificate available, but not the letter from a local congregation or the Articles of Incorporation. The "fake" church at themonestary.org sells a NYC package which does include the required documents, but I can't find anything on ulc.net or ulchq.com.

Has anyone actually gone through the process in NYC that could shed some light?

Thanks

I wouldn't consider the monastery a fake church. It's just their way of doing things.

NYC makes the rules the way they do in order for the clergy that passes registration are actually clergy that has the care of souls. i.e. actually has a brick and mortar church. It allows them to conduct marriage ceremonies for their congregation.

I would not advise anyone that does not have a brick and mortar church to attempt registration in NYC. No, I am not in NYC nor have I attempted to register there.

I wouldn't consider the monastery a fake church. It's just their way of doing things.

Really? I was under the impression that they were unaffiliated with the original ULC, they just "borrowed" the name and set up a website. Not true?

NYC makes the rules the way they do in order for the clergy that passes registration are actually clergy that has the care of souls. i.e. actually has a brick and mortar church. It allows them to conduct marriage ceremonies for their congregation.

I would not advise anyone that does not have a brick and mortar church to attempt registration in NYC. No, I am not in NYC nor have I attempted to register there.

Thanks for your reply. Anyone out there with NYC experience to share?

• 2 months later...
Really? I was under the impression that they were unaffiliated with the original ULC, they just "borrowed" the name and set up a website. Not true?

They are a real church with a long established history. As to why Rev. Freeman and Rev. Zimmerman are doing what they are doing, I can offer no explanation, all I can say is that its making things harder for everyone in the ULC.

I'm looking for this same information, what can be used as proof for NYC clerk's registration???

No one seems know what the magic formula is...some have registered, but presenting a ULC credential may not be enough.

It's not enough according to the clerk's office website:

Option 2: Your denomination does not publish a directory, but issues Certificates of Ordination or Licenses to Minister.

If you do not belong to a denomination that publishes a directory, you may submit a copy of your ordination certificate, a License to Minister, or a letter of appointment from your denomination; and

If the Certificate of Ordination is not written in English, you must also provide an English translation; and

You must attach a letter from your local congregation that verifies that you are the pastor or associate pastor of the congregation and that your congregation consents to your registration with the Office of the City Clerk (Get Sample Letter A); and

You must attach one of the following documents:

A copy of the church's Articles of Incorporation; or

A statement that lists the location of the church, the reason for the church's founding, the number of trustees of the church, the approximate size of the congregation, and how often the congregation meets (Get Sample Letter B).

It's not enough according to the clerk's office website:

Option 2: Your denomination does not publish a directory, but issues Certificates of Ordination or Licenses to Minister.

If you do not belong to a denomination that publishes a directory, you may submit a copy of your ordination certificate, a License to Minister, or a letter of appointment from your denomination; and

If the Certificate of Ordination is not written in English, you must also provide an English translation; and

You must attach a letter from your local congregation that verifies that you are the pastor or associate pastor of the congregation and that your congregation consents to your registration with the Office of the City Clerk (Get Sample Letter A); and

You must attach one of the following documents:

A copy of the church's Articles of Incorporation; or

A statement that lists the location of the church, the reason for the church's founding, the number of trustees of the church, the approximate size of the congregation, and how often the congregation meets (Get Sample Letter B).

ahh, but read again, the ULC meets those requirements, and can furnish you with whatever pieces paper the clerk may require.

If you haven't already done so, please read mdtaylor's excellent article "confused about New York".

The real kicker is the fact that the Universal Life Church is specifically pointed out in the legalese. After that article was written, New York later informed us that ULC ministers were in fact accepted, but it still seems to be a matter of the clerk's discretion.

This is a matter that is near and dear to my heart, because I had been for some time working to establish a congregation in Brooklyn. Unfortunately that project is on hold for now.

Well I know I can obviously get my certificate of ordination but how do I get a letter from a local congregation if there is none in the NYC area? I'm sorry if I'm being redundant but I just want to make sure I have everything validated to perform wedding ceremonies, I'm having an axiety attack!

Here is where you can begin the ONLINE registration for NYC to officiate a wedding.

https://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/cityclerkformsonline

I clicked through, but did not submit so I could see the options.

Note: Universal Live Church WAS listed in the dropdown as one of the denominations.

Also note, OPTION #1 asks for the directory (does not specify print or online),

OR "a letter from the publisher indicating your name is in the directory.

It seems to me ULC could satisfy OPTION #1 quite easily. Has anyone done this?

Here is where you can begin the ONLINE registration for NYC to officiate a wedding.

https://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/cityclerkformsonline

I clicked through, but did not submit so I could see the options.

Note: Universal Live Church WAS listed in the dropdown as one of the denominations.

Also note, OPTION #1 asks for the directory (does not specify print or online),

OR "a letter from the publisher indicating your name is in the directory.

It seems to me ULC could satisfy OPTION #1 quite easily. Has anyone done this?

So how do we go about getting the directory listing or letter of good standing through ULC?

I do not have anyone to be a part of my church or am a part of , can I register as a member of the ULC congregation?

Do I need to obtain a business licensebefore or after registering?

Thank you :)

Edited by Pagan Paula

• Administrator

The Universal Life Church is able to provide letters of good standing, and other similar documents which may be required to register with your state in order to officiate marriage. The requirements for each state are different, and the staff at ULC Headquarters is aware of what is required in each state.

Because there is no charge for this service, the church is unable to provide such letters for those who don't need them for registration. It is a very labor-intensive job, as each letter must be meticulously prepared according to requirements that vary widely for each state.

If your state does require such registration, contact the ULC International Headquarters office in Modesto with your request. Please make every effort to do this well in advance of the marriage date so as to avoid disappointment. Contact information for ULC International Headquarters is provided at the end of this message.

The church does not charge for this service, in order to allow everyone to fully participate at a ULC minister without cost. Any voluntary donations you choose to make to help with the cost of providing this service will be sincerely appreciated. Also, please note that a few states require these letters to be notarized. The church will arrange to have the document notarized for you, however you will need to pay the $10 fee for the notary.

You may contact the Headquarters office at:

ULC International Headquarters

601 Third Street

Modesto CA 95351

Phone: (209) 527-8111

FAX: (209) 527-8116

Email: generalcontact@ulchq.com

another thought if I may, I think where we, or at least I, have been going wrong with this New York thing is I've been telling people to check with your local clerk. In most places that is the case, but this is New York we're talking about, they do things their own way...

You Do Not want to talk to your local clerk, if you do, you may get whatever opinion he/she has of the ULC. You need to go to Manhattan and get registered there, the local clerk is of no consequence. As it says on the Marriage Bureau's website _

New York State Law requires any person who performs a Marriage Ceremony within the City of New York to register with our Manhattan office located at 141 Worth Street, New York, NY 10013.

another thought if I may, I think where we, or at least I, have been going wrong with this New York thing is I've been telling people to check with your local clerk. In most places that is the case, but this is New York we're talking about, they do things their own way...

You Do Not want to talk to your local clerk, if you do, you may get whatever opinion he/she has of the ULC. You need to go to Manhattan and get registered there, the local clerk is of no consequence. As it says on the Marriage Bureau's website _ .

I agree. I planned on going directly through the Manhattan office first and seeing where they direct me.

I agree. I planned on going directly through the Manhattan office first and seeing where they direct me.

While we're all anxious to find out what the outcome is, I know it will take some time for you to gather the necessary pieces of paper needed before a trip to Manhattan would be worthwhile. Although any excuse to make a day trip to Manhattan is always worthwhile and fun. :)

I'm going to try to register myself, as I noted as I read and reread the marriage bureau's and city clerks information again and again, that an out of state minister can apply with the same info. It just has to be notarized a few more times. To apply out of state the application itself must be notarized, for example.

Anyway, I plan to apply under the domination of Universal life, which is listed as an recognized dominations, right under Unitarian Universalism.

However, I plan to use my church info. I believe my church meets all requirements. Its not going to be cheap, with the filing fees, notary fees, mailing casts, and a trip to the local printer to get some proper stationary made up.

It will be interesting though, because if I can register as pastor of my church, then I could endorse others as well.

Good luck to us both!