The Urantia Book

Has anyone read the Urantia Book?

There's a lot of good discussion about the ancient texts that go on here, I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss thoughts they may have about this book, printed approx. 1955.

here's the Urantia Book Fellowship page: Urantia book fellowship

there's a lot out there about the Urantia Book so i won't do a big description here, Just want some thoughts from the folks here...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the site and read a few pages about Mary's pregnancy and when Joshua was 5 years old but nothing was resonating with me. I was having to actually force myself to read the stuff.

Took me quite a while to get through a lot of it, but I found the whole cosmology in the fist two parts interesting. Specifically where it starts getting closer to the indiviual, and the purpose and details of being human... the detail of this book is jaw dropping in its scope.... sure would like some opinions...

I was looking for folks who have spent time with the study of the book. I have met folks in the past who were devoted to the book, and never was able to chat with them about it... Truly it's not as if I expect folks to study a few thousand pages just to chat...

I'm always eager though to check out something others are really high on that I haven't read anything about to see how it jives with me.

I wouldn't want to be closed minded and reject anything without at least giving it a chance. I'll check the cosmology sections out later.

I'm always eager though to check out something others are really high on that I haven't read anything about to see how it jives with me.

I wouldn't want to be closed minded and reject anything without at least giving it a chance. I'll check the cosmology sections out later.

If you find you can't sleep, have to take a several day bus ride, or get snowed in for a week or so, let me know ..... It really IS hard to stick to.... generally those I've met who are into the book are dedicated...

Fawzo if you wanna look for specific sections which might interest you, skipping around, thats how most approach the book... check out paper 111, papers 53 and 67 purportedly explain the different rebellions - Lucifer and Caligasta, and the section beginning with paper 86 are interesting to me.... actually much of it is interesting to me..... The concept of the Thought Adjuster is tickling my curiosity....

If you find you can't sleep, have to take a several day bus ride, or get snowed in for a week or so, let me know ..... It really IS hard to stick to.... generally those I've met who are into the book are dedicated...

Fawzo if you wanna look for specific sections which might interest you, skipping around, thats how most approach the book... check out paper 111, papers 53 and 67 purportedly explain the different rebellions - Lucifer and Caligasta, and the section beginning with paper 86 are interesting to me.... actually much of it is interesting to me..... The concept of the Thought Adjuster is tickling my curiosity....

Thanks for the notes.

I had never heard of this book until you presented it, Brother Sky. Thanks for the link (and additional confusion!). I will not comment other than to say I have gone back a few times and read portions from the title page links that have interested me enough to return again. This does not mean that I am persuaded in anything, but it certainly is worthy of additional perusal on my part. Thanks.

I had never heard of this book until you presented it, Brother Sky. Thanks for the link (and additional confusion!). I will not comment other than to say I have gone back a few times and read portions from the title page links that have interested me enough to return again. This does not mean that I am persuaded in anything, but it certainly is worthy of additional perusal on my part. Thanks.

Rev, I remain convinced of so very little it is truly crippling at times.... :shy:

but certain things i read sort of echo in my head, and merge with things Ive picked up otherwheres, and i see connections and explanations.... I try to disregard terminology and look inwards at the meat of what i study, and the more i learn, the less finnicky I am about sources. Upon serious study, the frivolous fades away.

My inner witness says there are gems hidden in this long, dry text. The terms used do not resonate. It is completely unlike anything else i have read. It feels awkward and broken in its rhythm. But for some reason I cannot disregard it...... hence i wish to talk about it......

When I was a young man back in the 1960's I heard of the Urantia Book, I looked through its pages, but I never got a chance to read it. For a few years it even disappeared from the the book stores. A few years ago a good friend invited some of us to a group that is dedicated to the study of the Urantia Book. It was a very small group, but I have not heard again from the group.

Hermano Luis

Took me quite a while to get through a lot of it, but I found the whole cosmology in the fist two parts interesting. Specifically where it starts getting closer to the indiviual, and the purpose and details of being human... the detail of this book is jaw dropping in its scope.... sure would like some opinions...

I was looking for folks who have spent time with the study of the book. I have met folks in the past who were devoted to the book, and never was able to chat with them about it... Truly it's not as if I expect folks to study a few thousand pages just to chat...

Rev, I remain convinced of so very little it is truly crippling at times.... :shy:

but certain things i read sort of echo in my head, and merge with things Ive picked up otherwheres, and i see connections and explanations.... I try to disregard terminology and look inwards at the meat of what i study, and the more i learn, the less finnicky I am about sources. Upon serious study, the frivolous fades away.

My inner witness says there are gems hidden in this long, dry text. The terms used do not resonate. It is completely unlike anything else i have read. It feels awkward and broken in its rhythm. But for some reason I cannot disregard it...... hence i wish to talk about it......

Dear Michael,

Your "inner witness" is speaking true...

It will be helpful to remember that the Urantia Book was delivered in the 20s and 30s - the language is a little stilted at times, but as one goes through the book, the language becomes easier to read. By the time you get to Part IV - The Life and Teachings of Jesus - it is quite easy to digest. Also, the concepts that seem difficult (although so interesting) require that our brains be stretched somewhat to contain them. You'll find that the next time you read, you'll get a whole new understanding, if you allow yourself to be open.

You are a truth-seeker, I can tell by the things you say in this post. Truth resonates somewhere deep inside of us, and that personal CONVICTION of truth is unmistakable and compelling.

I have been a reader/student of The Urantia Book for over 20 years, and it is still fresh and full of inspiration and wisdom every time I pick it up. I am happy for you that discovered the book, and I hope you'll pay attention to that inner witness and keep exploring.

Here are a couple of sites that may help you to understand better just what you have found:

http://www.urantia.org/

http://www.truthbook.com/

Sincerely...

I went to the site and read a few pages about Mary's pregnancy and when Joshua was 5 years old but nothing was resonating with me. I was having to actually force myself to read the stuff.

It's been my experience that the early years of Jesus' life in The Urantia Book are not nearly as interesting as his adult life. Once he gets in his 20s, the story takes off and frankly is quite riveting, in my opinion. Parts of it bring tears to my eyes. I have had The Urantia Book since 1959 when my grandmother in Chicago sent me a First Printing. I love the book, it's my passion.

Norm.

• 1 month later...

In 2003 the copywrite for the "Urantia Book" was taken away from the "Foundation". This put the book in the public domain where it belongs.

There is so many reasons to gain understanding that the Urantia book is what it claims to be that I'm sure we only need wait until the next big wave of the spirit of truth comes to this small planet.

Has anyone read the Urantia Book?

There's a lot of good discussion about the ancient texts that go on here, I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss thoughts they may have about this book, printed approx. 1955.

here's the Urantia Book Fellowship page: Urantia book fellowship

there's a lot out there about the Urantia Book so i won't do a big description here, Just want some thoughts from the folks here...

I am one of those "ancient texts" people. If it is not already recorded in some way in past documentation then the book needs be questioned is my stance. However with the Urantia book, it is predated and postdated with ancient texts and this is one of the several powerful legs of "truth" that will hold this book above all others in the long run.

I'm speaking about the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi Library Scrolls. Those ancient scrolls contained "lost knowledges" in religious understandings and many other states of knowledge. Jesus didn't read a bible. Jesus as it was back in that day studied from a huge Library of scrolls. Much of that text was thought lost in the great fire, but it some that "lost knowledge" unearthed itself with the lost scrolls.

There are several major points contained within the lost scrolls that are predated to publication by the Urantia book. Yet the lost scrolls and hidden knowledges predate the urantia book. It is by this single act of the devine that should spark the intrest in the urantia book for anyone that seeks to know the truth about themselves and our creator "God".

That predated/postdated lost knowledges unearthed and suported is only a drop in the bucket that has made the Urantia Papers stand above all other works of this modern era.

I am one of those "ancient texts" people. If it is not already recorded in some way in past documentation then the book needs be questioned is my stance. However with the Urantia book, it is predated and postdated with ancient texts and this is one of the several powerful legs of "truth" that will hold this book above all others in the long run.

I'm speaking about the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi Library Scrolls. Those ancient scrolls contained "lost knowledges" in religious understandings and many other states of knowledge. Jesus didn't read a bible. Jesus as it was back in that day studied from a huge Library of scrolls. Much of that text was thought lost in the great fire, but it some that "lost knowledge" unearthed itself with the lost scrolls.

There are several major points contained within the lost scrolls that are predated to publication by the Urantia book. Yet the lost scrolls and hidden knowledges predate the urantia book. It is by this single act of the devine that should spark the intrest in the urantia book for anyone that seeks to know the truth about themselves and our creator "God".

That predated/postdated lost knowledges unearthed and suported is only a drop in the bucket that has made the Urantia Papers stand above all other works of this modern era.

Fascinating. I've skimmed some introductory pages on their website. My inner-skeptic is warring with some elements of resonating truth that I gleaned. Some principles at first glance seem true. There appears to be an awful lot of creativity involved as well though. For example - what's with all the made up words? The only information I can find for the etymology of Urantia is written by the creators of the book. What is all this new terminology based on?

Then again it does not itself claim to be an absolute truth, but rather a re-interpretation of truth for a modern age calling on ancient traditions and mystical thought. So I suppose it's best approached as a highly involved and detailed mythopoeia; a story written by men to explore universal truths.

Though I've not read it all yet, so I guess I'll see.

:fear: Holy Vorondadek, that's alot of reading!

Edited by Tsukino_Rei

Fascinating. I've skimmed some introductory pages on their website. My inner-skeptic is warring with some elements of resonating truth that I gleaned. Some principles at first glance seem true. There appears to be an awful lot of creativity involved as well though. For example - what's with all the made up words? The only information I can find for the etymology of Urantia is written by the creators of the book. What is all this new terminology based on?

Then again it does not itself claim to be an absolute truth, but rather a re-interpretation of truth for a modern age calling on ancient traditions and mystical thought. So I suppose it's best approached as a highly involved and detailed mythopoeia; a story written by men to explore universal truths.

Though I've not read it all yet, so I guess I'll see.

:fear: Holy Vorondadek, that's alot of reading!

:lol: indeed it is a lot of reading...

I have had reason many times to chase down the roots of certain words.... and it sometimes happens that the words used bring connotations that are unwarranted or unwanted, simply by their accepted usage....

I have meditated upon this fact countless times when searching connections between one spiritual teaching and another...

It has occurred to me, witness the Energetic Healing thread, that at times a truth must be introduced as a NEW thing for the desired idea to be understood.... at times one must avoid what is familiar to the listener to avoid those well worn thought patterns... those connections that happen when certain words are used, which could focus the listeners attention into a slightly different understanding than that which is intended. For instance : what comes to your mind when i say MEDITATION..... you saw a swami didn't you??? :P .... thats kinda what i mean...

I think i get the idea of using " new " words..... In reality though, I kinda think of em more as recycled....This place is older than science thinks...... which could be another use for specific words....

emalpaiz - perhaps they're underground...waiting for 2012.... :jest:

mj606 - thanks for the boost... ;)

Michael... - hey, thats my pause... JK... I wonder at Madame Blavatsky's ( Helena Petrovna Blavatsky )possible influence on the text.....

:lol: indeed it is a lot of reading...

I have had reason many times to chase down the roots of certain words.... and it sometimes happens that the words used bring connotations that are unwarranted or unwanted, simply by their accepted usage....

I have meditated upon this fact countless times when searching connections between one spiritual teaching and another...

It has occurred to me, witness the Energetic Healing thread, that at times a truth must be introduced as a NEW thing for the desired idea to be understood.... at times one must avoid what is familiar to the listener to avoid those well worn thought patterns... those connections that happen when certain words are used, which could focus the listeners attention into a slightly different understanding than that which is intended. For instance : what comes to your mind when i say MEDITATION..... you saw a swami didn't you??? :P .... thats kinda what i mean...

I think i get the idea of using " new " words..... In reality though, I kinda think of em more as recycled....This place is older than science thinks...... which could be another use for specific words....

emalpaiz - perhaps they're underground...waiting for 2012.... :jest:

mj606 - thanks for the boost... ;)

Michael... - hey, thats my pause... JK... I wonder at Madame Blavatsky's ( Helena Petrovna Blavatsky )possible influence on the text.....

:smart: That's an insightful way of looking at it Brother Sky. Thank you!

For example - what's with all the made up words? The only information I can find for the etymology of Urantia is written by the creators of the book. What is all this new terminology based on?

A very logical and well though out question. For the answer we must look at the nature of the word. Words for many years have been made up of other words from older languages. The words words are made up of are known as the root words. Understanding the root word helps you to understand the true meaning behind a word. The term "World" is a great example. Many people assume world to mean like planet, but this is a popular misuse of the term. Etymology is the study of word meanings. The term "world" can be traced back to old english and is a compound of wer (meaning "man") and eld (meaning "age), thusly the term world means "age of man" that is a far cry from equating it to planet.

So through Etymology a word's meaning is understood and the use of new words can be judged made up or from the older words.

In this video on youTube the Etymology of the word "Urantia" is examined:

Or if you'd like to cut to the chase the term "Urantia" works out to mean "Your Heavenly Place". The word isn't made up. It can be traced to its roots.

Edited by Michael...

Dear Michael,

Your "inner witness" is speaking true...

, and I hope you'll pay attention to that inner witness and keep exploring.

not a problem... My inner witness is loud, obnoxious, and has hold of the wheel..... :jest:

and thank you, Tsukino_Rei, that's pleasant to hear.

Edited by Brother Michael Sky

It will be helpful to remember that the Urantia Book was delivered in the 20s and 30s - the language is a little stilted at times, but as one goes through the book, the language becomes easier to read. By the time you get to Part IV - The Life and Teachings of Jesus - it is quite easy to digest. Also, the concepts that seem difficult (although so interesting) require that our brains be stretched somewhat to contain them. You'll find that the next time you read, you'll get a whole new understanding, if you allow yourself to be open.

I was introduced to the Urantia papers many years ago. However I didn't believe that a true work of God should be "owned" even if it was only by "copywrite" laws. In 2003 that copywrite was taken away from the "Urantia Foundation" by a court of law suit by the "Michael Foundation". Since that time the book has been "freed" of ownership and given, to who it belongs, to the people of the world..

Since that time the upswing of the Urantia book has been gainning, no doubt due to its unassocitive nature with any single group. This is not without its drawbacks. A couple "crazy cults" have formed around the Urantia book. Namely "Gabriel of Urantia" and others, but this is nothing new. If we were to compair "crazy cults" the bible still comes in the easy winner. LOL!!!

It's only too true that the more you strech your mind to consume the deep and multi-leveled understandings contained within the Urantia papers, the more of it opens upto you.

Some people really enjoy reading. However I find more understanding to be gained by listening to the free Urantia Book downloads. Since the libiration of the Urantia book in 2003, more then a single group has posted the entire Urantia book on line for free download.

Below are two free download resources for the Urantia book audio mp3. It's my personally favorite way to fly.

http://urantiabook.org/audio/uversa_press_dvd/toc_p1.html

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=659

Below are resources for free online copies of the Urantia book both in text and mp3 audio book.

http://www.theoquest.com/ubcenter/?fa=toc

http://www.urantia.org/en/urantia-book/read

I always try to drone in with the fact that the "Urantia Book" isn't a book but a set of papers, so this fact doesn't require reading from front to back. I found it best of find a place in the set of papers that you have personal ties too for the start of your personal introduction to "the alien bible, book of turths".

Edited by Michael...

• Amulet locked this topic