Other Christianities

Most of those below do not share a given creed or a fixed set of beliefs. They would describe themselves as having a common diversity that they believe existed from the earliest forms of Christianity. Most individuals from the list do not believe that the Bible is inerrent and that there is only one way to God. They usually do rely more on ones personal experience with their faith, rather than insisting on a given set of beliefs.

Personal note:- Although I am more involved with both the Quakers and the Liberal Christian movements, I do not deny the experience of others with differing beliefs to my own. For me the disciples were diverse in their experience and so is Christianity. I also believe God is at work in more than one religion. I do not believe anyone can describe God in a way that is clear to all or can be agree upon. Must of how we see God will depend upon ones personal experience. However, that does not deny that God exists (IMO).

Religious Society of Friends (Quaker) UK.

I believe ..........................................

(please fill in the gaps with your personal view)

Quakers share a way of life, not a set of beliefs. We base our faith on silent worship, and our own experiences of the divine.

http://www.quaker.org.uk/

Liberal Christians

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an individualistic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity does not claim to be a belief structure, and as such is not dependent upon any Church dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative varieties of Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma.[2] A liberal Christian, however, may hold certain beliefs in common with traditional, orthodox, or even conservative Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia....al_Christianity

Progressive Christians

Holding to the ideals of Progressive Christianity sets the movement apart from other forms of traditional Christianity. Many, if not most, Progressive Christians believe that the Bible is not the literal word of God. While all Progressive Christians recognize Jesus Christ, some view him not as the only way to God, but one of many ways, continuing the Christian modernist paradigm. Inclusiveness and acceptance is the basic posture of Progressive Christianity.[3]

Progressive Christians tend to focus on issues of social justice, rather than proselytizing efforts to convert others, as conservatives and mainstream Evangelicals tend to emphasize.

http://en.wikipedia....ve_Christianity

Gnostic Christians

May or may not fall into liberal/Progressive camps. They generally draw on information found in the Gnostic Gospels and other sources that have come to light.

See:- http://www.religious...rg/gnostic2.htm

Edited by Pete

Pete with the Quakers I've heard if one behaves outside the accepted norm one is quickly ostracized from the group. Do you know if that is the case on both sides of the pond?

I understand that Quakers in the US are sometimes different from those in the UK. Most UK Quakers are very Liberal in their outlook and although I see things differently at times, nothing has ever happened to me. There is also a broad spectrum of beliefs present in the meetings that I have attended.

However, I have heard that some Quaker meetings in the US can be very fundamentalist/conservative.

This is one of the reasons I only mentioned the UK meetings. I could of mentioned the Universal Unitarians, but I am not fully sure of where they stand on things in the UK and the US. Perhaps another colleague can help me on that?

The reason many Christian denominations have a statement of faith, or list of cardinal truths, or fundamental truths is for a basis for fellowship. Some lists maybe very detailed, some are not so detailed. I have been involved in several non-denominational groups and have found that with the lack of a detail statement of faith, there always seems to be some issue that arises that prevents fellowhip on a deeper level. Now, I understand that alot of people are afraid of intimacy and like to keep thier distance, to each it own.

Pete, have you expericenced any hinderance of fellowship because of not having a core beleif system to unite your group?

The reason many Christian denominations have a statement of faith, or list of cardinal truths, or fundamental truths is for a basis for fellowship. Some lists maybe very detailed, some are not so detailed. I have been involved in several non-denominational groups and have found that with the lack of a detail statement of faith, there always seems to be some issue that arises that prevents fellowhip on a deeper level. Now, I understand that alot of people are afraid of intimacy and like to keep thier distance, to each it own.

Pete, have you expericenced any hinderance of fellowship because of not having a core beleif system to unite your group?

Never mind that Pete, I see you guys have an entire book about faith an practice. I misunderstood what you were saying. It is not a fill in the blank organization at all.

Edited by Coolhand

Never mind that Pete, I see you guys have an entire book about faith an practice. I misunderstood what you were saying. It is not a fill in the blank organization at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Actually Cool, it is. "Quaker faith and Practice" is a book that is supposed to help people understand the experiences of some quaker members. It is not scripture or a set of rules or a creed. If one reads it and they feel inspired then all well and good but if they do not then also all well and good too. I know one of the criticisms people throw at quakers is that they substitute the "Quaker Faith and Practice" for the Bible but that is only a thought held by those who have no real experience of its use in a quaker meeting (IMO). In most quaker meetings there are a number of books present for people to use (if they want) during the meeting. In our meeting, the Bible is also one of the books.

Back to your original question. I would have to say no. Quakers often say that they believe there is that of God within everyone and the meetings are designed to have a shared experience of that of God. There is no ministers and everyone has an equal status. I find the experience of the meeting very moving and it is that which has led me to recognise that no one faith has the handle on the whole of the God experience. We have members from a cross section of beliefs and that does include atheists too. Members are very loving in my experience and their faith is very deep. As for your comment about Quakers being afraid of intimacy, I find that incredible. I find the meeting touches people at a very deep level and people of all persautions sharing their experiences together and finding unity with each other an amazing thing.

It is odd but I have wondered whether fundamentalists often have a fear of intimacy in that they need a prescribed set of beliefs and code of conduct in order to meet each other.

How the other half sees each other eh!

Edited by Pete

-------------------------------------------------------------

Actually Cool, it is. "Quaker faith and Practice" is a book that is supposed to help people understand the experiences of some quaker members. It is not scripture or a set of rules or a creed. If one reads it and they feel inspired then all well and good but if they do not then also all well and good too. I know one of the criticisms people throw at quakers is that they substitute the "Quaker Faith and Practice" for the Bible but that is only a thought held by those who have no real experience of its use in a quaker meeting (IMO). In most quaker meetings there are a number of books present for people to use (if they want) during the meeting. In our meeting, the Bible is also one of the books.

Back to your original question. I would have to say no. Quakers often say that they believe there is that of God within everyone and the meetings are designed to have a shared experience of that of God. There is no ministers and everyone has an equal status. I find the experience of the meeting very moving and it is that which has led me to recognise that no one faith has the handle on the whole of the God experience. We have members from a cross section of beliefs and that does include atheists too. Members are very loving in my experience and their faith is very deep. As for your comment about Quakers being afraid of intimacy, I find that incredible. I find the meeting touches people at a very deep level and people of all persautions sharing their experiences together and finding unity with each other an amazing thing.

It is odd but I have wondered whether fundamentalists often have a fear of intimacy in that they need a prescribed set of beliefs and code of conduct in order to meet each other.

How the other half sees each other eh!

lol.....yeah.

• Amulet locked this topic