Job Hunting Again!

I've decided not to renew my contract when it falls due in June.

So I'm job hunting again, targetting other institutes in the same region.

The Beloved is also looking for work: his current post ends in January.

So please, your prayers and good wishes for us both!

Best of luck with the job search. I've heard horror stories about unemployed expats in the UAE ending up in debtors' prison. Don't let that happen, okay?

We have no debts, no credit cards and no mortgages - We're very, very lucky!

(We also have not much money, and no jobs after June, but hey, it could be massively worse! And I do have the little freehold hovel in England...).

My main concern is not to get a block put on my visa.

If you break your contract here, or leave in bad odour, they can put the evil eye on you which blocks you from working here for 6 months - mainly to stop the different academic institutes from poaching staff from each other.

As it happens, I was approached in November by a wouldbe poacher - someone in management at a neighbouring academic institution, asking me to apply for the jobs which were coming up in Jan 2010 - but I had to act like a lady and turn it down, much as I was tempted (same pay and benefits, but better conditions of work and prospects... and other desiderata).

I'm hoping to leave here in good odour and with a decent set of references, and that t'other place will still have vacancies to start in August...

Or something better.

Inshallah

I've decided not to renew my contract when it falls due in June.

So I'm job hunting again, targetting other institutes in the same region.

The Beloved is also looking for work: his current post ends in January.

So please, your prayers and good wishes for us both!

I have several openings for which I am currently interviewing. Due to growth, I anticipate having openings throughout the first half of the year.

• Amulet locked this topic