What If God Was One Of Us?

• Administrator
If God had a face, what would it look like?

And would you want to see?

If seeing meant that you would have to believe

In things like heaven and in Jesus and the saints, and all the prophets?

the bolded part is my question. So I suppose this thread is geared towards our atheists and agnostics.

That is kind of a stunning question, Murph, and, although it points to the Christian God concept, methinks all faith currently is belief or non-belief in (a) God. If God were seen and His existence known beyond a doubt, religion could no longer be based on faith but fact. Presuming that fact (the known, visible God) as absolute, I question whether that would destroy many faiths or religions, and if so, would we be willing to change to this "reality religion?" In short, whose (faith-based) God would it be - if any?

Yes, of course I'd want to know, and if I knew, then of course I'd be a believer. But, that doesn't mean I'd become a worshipper. If I knew God existed, and I knew he behaved the way a lot of people say he does, I wouldn't like him. I might even become a fanatic in the pursuit of finding a way to hold him responsible for crimes against humanity.

Yes, of course I'd want to know, and if I knew, then of course I'd be a believer. But, that doesn't mean I'd become a worshipper. If I knew God existed, and I knew he behaved the way a lot of people say he does, I wouldn't like him. I might even become a fanatic in the pursuit of finding a way to hold him responsible for crimes against humanity.

If the Christian Old testament God were to be proven true I would be highly disappointed and of the same mindset as Verisoph.

I could not worship such a deiTy unless it somehow revealed to me acceptable reasoning for many of His actions. Something a whole lot more reasonable than "because I said so!"

The question supposes that God actually exists. If I asked "would you want to see the face of the Easter Bunny if it meant you'd have to believe?" it would have the same level of meaning.

The question also supposes not only the 'Christian' version of God but very specifically the Roman Catholic version of God.

I like the song but it's about as deep as a parking lot puddle when it comes right down to it.

That is kind of a stunning question, Murph, and, although it points to the Christian God concept, methinks all faith currently is belief or non-belief in (a) God. If God were seen and His existence known beyond a doubt, religion could no longer be based on faith but fact. Presuming that fact (the known, visible God) as absolute, I question whether that would destroy many faiths or religions, and if so, would we be willing to change to this "reality religion?" In short, whose (faith-based) God would it be - if any?

Roy, that is a wise post.

As an agnostic, I would welcome any evidence of a supreme being. I dream of it. I desire it. I want it. I cannot find it. But for some inherit, natural reason, I think it must exist. I don't know why.

As an empiricist, I believe what I experience myself. If the experience matched Christian testimony of Jesus and Heaven etc, then I would possibly regain a creed that I had rejected long ago.

But such an experience would have to share my heart with other experiences that speak different truths, so I think I would still believe in alternate paths and keep my respect for those who follow them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you know He/She is not?

God exists in all of us. Many of us just choose to ignore that little factoid.

It reminds me of the man in the path of an imminent flood. A State Trooper came to his house and told him he needed to evacuate, because a flood was on the way. The man refused, saying that "God will provide for my needs". The Trooper left, and soon, the waters began to rise. The man was forced onto his roof. A boat came by and they offered to rescue him, but the man stubbornly said "God will take care of me", and refused the help. The waters continued to rise, and as the man was stuck on the very apex of his roof by the fast moving water, a helecopter flew over, and the crew offered to lower a line to him. The man refused once again, saying "God will take care of me". The helecopter flew off to assist others, and the man ultimately drowned.

As he was standing in front of God, he angrily asked, "God, why did you let me die?" God looked directly at him and said "I sent you a State Trooper, a boat, and a helicopter. What are you doing here?....."

We need to pay attention.....

• 5 months later...

I would have to answer from the perspective of Pantheism: God is everything and everything is God.

Look at the Universe. That is the face of God. At least, the manifestation.

Jonathan Lobl

:)

and considering the hologram theory.... the mirror shows him too....

I believe the face of God is gradually revealed as we complete our soul's course... and even at the stage we are at now, I believe it's there if you are looking...

Edited by Brother Michael Sky

Nice...

How do you know He/She is not?

God exists in all of us. Many of us just choose to ignore that little factoid.

It reminds me of the man in the path of an imminent flood. A State Trooper came to his house and told him he needed to evacuate, because a flood was on the way. The man refused, saying that "God will provide for my needs". The Trooper left, and soon, the waters began to rise. The man was forced onto his roof. A boat came by and they offered to rescue him, but the man stubbornly said "God will take care of me", and refused the help. The waters continued to rise, and as the man was stuck on the very apex of his roof by the fast moving water, a helecopter flew over, and the crew offered to lower a line to him. The man refused once again, saying "God will take care of me". The helecopter flew off to assist others, and the man ultimately drowned.

As he was standing in front of God, he angrily asked, "God, why did you let me die?" God looked directly at him and said "I sent you a State Trooper, a boat, and a helicopter. What are you doing here?....."

We need to pay attention.....

• 6 months later...
  • Amulet locked this topic