Maximus Of Tyre

Here is a translation of Cassius Maximus Tyrius, known as Maximus of Tyre, a pagan teacher from the 2nd century AD:

For the God who is the Father and Creator of all that is,...is not to be named by any lawgiver, is not to be uttered by any voice, is not to be seen by any eye...Let all men know what is divine, let them know, that is all. If Greeks are stirred to the remembrance of God by the art of Phidias, or the Egyptians by the worship of animals, or others by a river, or others by fire, I will not quarrel with their differences. Only let them know, let them love, let them remember.

I find myself very much in agreement with this.

What do you think?

Here is a translation of Cassius Maximus Tyrius, known as Maximus of Tyre, a pagan teacher from the 2nd century AD:

For the God who is the Father and Creator of all that is,...is not to be named by any lawgiver, is not to be uttered by any voice, is not to be seen by any eye...Let all men know what is divine, let them know, that is all. If Greeks are stirred to the remembrance of God by the art of Phidias, or the Egyptians by the worship of animals, or others by a river, or others by fire, I will not quarrel with their differences. Only let them know, let them love, let them remember.

What do you think?

What of those who worship the Divine through animal and sometimes human sacrifice, or wont suffer a witch or blue eyed demon to live?

What of those who worship the Divine through animal and sometimes human sacrifice, or wont suffer a witch or blue eyed demon to live?

Unfortunately he's not around to answer the specifics of your question, but "let them know, let them love, let them remember" seems specific to benevolent practices.

What do you think?

As a general rule since I've taken my vows I don't refer to Him as "God". There's is no difference between throwing the G bomb around than saying Joe down the street. I still find the term acceptable to refer to male deities and try not to utter their names in vain either. That said I tolerate it when others do, and see nothing wrong with addressing Him as such in prayer or saying grace. Many Christians seem to throw it around when generally discussing Him. other than that most other people don't talk much about Him at all, or they throw it out there as a curse word which to me is ironic. Many an atheist throws down a GD bomb.

What do you think?

Thank you! I can appreciate the words of this teacher. They remind me of a teaching found in the Srimad Bhagavad Gita where the author (Vyasa Deva) uses Bhagavan Krishna as the voice of the Supreme:

"Those who worship other Gods with faith and dvotion also worship me, Arjuna, even if they do not observe the usual forms. I am the object of all worship, its Enjoyer and Lord" (Srimad Bhagavat Gita 9:23-24).

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

• Amulet locked this topic