Current Mood

Stormson

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend has me thinking about the reasons we do the things we do in our life.

and the things we do not do as well - and the reasons why not....

I refuse to follow the dictates of those who would steer my life into a comfortable place for them.

I refuse to take part in the same obfuscation which has transpired for hundreds of years.

I will Shine My Light for all to see - and I will take an immense pride in that, and I will ask others to do the same.

I have control of my life and I write my future...

feel the rain on your skin ( they want you to think you will catch a cold.... )

I reject all labels - I am undefined...

Edited by Brother Michael Sky

a beautiful swedish prodigy and some awesome 80's Australian Pop..

Cool! BrDevon you may be expanding my horizons.....

[more entertainment....

she said " hang the rich.."

Jinx!

I almost posted that one last night and decided it was too obscure.

Loved that song, even though I don't think I have ever really totally heard it (ya know... the hearing thing...). I think the one guy in the background that sings the response line "Somewhere down the crazy river" (can't think of his name off hand) sounds like he's had someone's hands around his neck a little too long. But that's one opinion.

My daughter is ASL for her school and work. I had no idea about how music applied to the deaf...funny thing is I have ZERO ASL knowledge, yet if I turn down the sound and just watch, I can almost tell it's a song, not words. The motions and signs, if paid attention to are wonderful and so expressive!

Captain Valor is great and the Owl City song "Fireflies" WOW! New theme song for sure! "rather hard to say, I'd rather be awake when I'm asleep...I'd like to believe the Earth turns slowly" tooooo cooool. The whole song was incredible. TY for posting these Bro sky and BrDevon!...and of course the others post were awesome as well.

Blessings of Peace,

Jinx!

I almost posted that one last night and decided it was too obscure.

Loved that song, even though I don't think I have ever really totally heard it (ya know... the hearing thing...). I think the one guy in the background that sings the response line "Somewhere down the crazy river" (can't think of his name off hand) sounds like he's had someone's hands around his neck a little too long. But that's one opinion.

If my memory serves me correctly Sammy BoDean is what they call him, with his real name being Sam Llanas... and yeah, sounds like he needs some boneset tea.... but thats why they used him... :)

My daughter is ASL for her school and work. I had no idea about how music applied to the deaf...funny thing is I have ZERO ASL knowledge, yet if I turn down the sound and just watch, I can almost tell it's a song, not words. The motions and signs, if paid attention to are wonderful and so expressive!

Captain Valor is great and the Owl City song "Fireflies" WOW! New theme song for sure! "rather hard to say, I'd rather be awake when I'm asleep...I'd like to believe the Earth turns slowly" tooooo cooool. The whole song was incredible. TY for posting these Bro sky and BrDevon!...and of course the others post were awesome as well.

Blessings of Peace,

I love the way Captain Valor (Steven) sings in ASL. He doesn't do what so many interpreters do and simply transliterate a song word for word (or as closely as one can), but he honestly takes the time to convey the concept and tries to maintain the integrity of the message. By using full body language, which is an essential part of Sign, anyway, he manages through his timing and enthusiasm to construct a parallell to the concepts of musical beat. I have worked with certified interpreters who have not done nearly as well.

Artistic Signing is an art form, and unfortunately there are circles that do not embrace it. I understand that to a "purist" any time the Hearing and Deaf cultures combine, there is an inherent fear that the Hearing person will somehow claim his or her culture as superior, as if "those poor Deaf folks are missing out." Steven levels the playing field and simply sings in Sign, as much as if he had studied French as his language and chose to sing the song in French.

I give him a lot of credit, and for this person who is has a foot on both side of the deaf door (part hearing, part deaf), I appreciate when anyone does what Steven has done and shares a gift of bridging the cultural gap. It is even more of a gift when you can see the obvious joy with which he shares his gift.

Well, I'm a new fan of his too for several reasons...his enthusiasm being #1, that is of interest and use to my daughter another. I guess a list isn't important, shall I just say I repeat your sentiments about Mr. Torrence.

My daughter learned sign in about the third grade. We didn't pay much attention to her "funny little hand things" until one day she brought her friend from school and all the pieces came together. Her friend was deaf, unbeknownst to us until of course meeting her. Anyway Sara, my daughter has taken off from there and is now teaching ASL and ISL (international?) and since we all "talk with our hands" she's taken that to an incredible level. It's strange to us that her interests are so imprinted while what she's not into she can disregard. Straight A's in ASL when she was "officially" learning, while D's even F's in math, science etc... 7 years and she has yet to complete her AA degree (due to fails) but is on a collegiate level of signing...even her teachers are amazed and question "why".

She works for the same division of the County that I did years ago and is officially their Community Sign Officer. She continuously in "trouble" for being late to work, not doing her assigned tasks etc, but when it comes to her ASL community interaction, even her supervisor is blown away by her ability...guess it all just goes to show the "normal" is totally in the eye and mind of the person. Poor girl can't balance a check book, but has made friends and impressed bosses with her natural gift of sign...blows us all away. She even signs for her production at her drama classes and gives that same enthusiasm that Steve does.

I sent Sara all the youtube links and the facebook for steve and hope she hooks up! That would be a wonderful thing for her.

Well all this has certainly piqued my interests and off to do some more research!

Blessings of Peace,

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic