Another Ny Question...Congregation To Perform Marriage?

Jess

There is a couple that wants to get married. They've asked me to officiate. I know the laws for California, where I lived when I became ordained. But the laws for NY are confusing. They want to get married on Long Island which is outside NYC.

I called the county clerk who said I had to talk to someone in the town that the marriage is taking place. She gave me a number and I called it (I can't remember which office it was...these people talked too fast). That person transferred me and the next person did as well. Finally I got someone. I asked "What is needed for a minister to be able to perform a marriage?"

The answer I received was, "They must be ordained and have a congregation."

I'm a little confused as she didn't say what exactly constitutes a "congregation". I do have a group that gets together to worship on a monthly basis (sometimes more). There are 6 of us and somehow I wound up leading everything. Does that count?

My husband said I should call them back but the woman was a little rude. She hung up on me right after telling me what was needed. I would call and complain about it but I don't know who to complain to. I'm not even sure what office I was talking to since they transferred me so many times.

If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

If you are concerned about this, consider filing with Ulc HQ to be on record as a congregation. That way, if the State tries to argue it, there are documents supporting your claim.

Ok

What do I need to file with U.L.C. as a congregation? Who and how do I get in touch with the right people at U.L.C.?

Thanks in advance for the information.

jba

To start a congregation, one must:

1. Become ordained by the ULC.

2. Have 2 other people, over the age of 18, to act as Secretary and Treasurer. The three of you make up the "Board of Directors" for your congregation.

3. Send the completed application along with a $35.00 donation to the International HQ (Modesto). 601 Third Street, Modesto, CA 95351

They will file the application, issue you a congregation number, and send you a certificate.

They then ask that you file a quarterly report with them.

All of the forms needed can be gotten from ULC HQ and found in "A Textbook About Universal Life Church" that was available from the bookstore. However, in an attempt to simplify matters for you, and to be helpful to others, I have scanned the necessary forms.

ULC Congregation Agreement / Application

ULC Quarterly Report

ULC Minutes Record

ULC Board Resolutions Record

ULC Journal Record

ULC Contribution Receipt

If you have any other questions, you can pm me or call HQ directly at 209-527-8111.

There is a couple that wants to get married. They've asked me to officiate. I know the laws for California, where I lived when I became ordained. But the laws for NY are confusing. They want to get married on Long Island which is outside NYC.

I called the county clerk who said I had to talk to someone in the town that the marriage is taking place. She gave me a number and I called it (I can't remember which office it was...these people talked too fast). That person transferred me and the next person did as well. Finally I got someone. I asked "What is needed for a minister to be able to perform a marriage?"

The answer I received was, "They must be ordained and have a congregation."

I'm a little confused as she didn't say what exactly constitutes a "congregation". I do have a group that gets together to worship on a monthly basis (sometimes more). There are 6 of us and somehow I wound up leading everything. Does that count?

My husband said I should call them back but the woman was a little rude. She hung up on me right after telling me what was needed. I would call and complain about it but I don't know who to complain to. I'm not even sure what office I was talking to since they transferred me so many times.

If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

The answer is that the good clerks around NYC have been trampled on for not properly recognizing the ULC and the ULC originated denominations as well as some smaller religious groups. This is because some of the clergy have become angry over the ignorance of those running the system into the ground over the clergy persons seeking to work with the system that the clerks have chosen to abuse and break over same clergy persons' heads.

The answer is that a congregation is the people who meet however many or regularly this happens is up to your congregation. It would seem you have a congregation of 6 possibly looking to expand.

If you have more issues feel free to write a state congressman or woman and let vent your frustrations in a professional and usefully suggestive manner. Keep a list of names of who you contact as well as when and what was said. Be accurate, be polite and practice what questions you may need to ask to find out what you need to know. Clerks are not commonly pleasant nor are they commonly able to give intelligent answers to the questions that are not specifically asked and in there scripted answer sheet.

This is advice from the other side of the country but there has been some news previously from NYC dealing with ULC++ ministers.

It would also be advisable to obtain a copy of the state statutes and codes on clergy recognition and any others you may find useful.

This link may prove somewhat useful. Try breathing while you read it ... It is very long. http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/married.htm

Inside NYC they have seemingly tossed out the state law and written some of their own which is in conflict with the state but the state seems to have chosen to endorse the obsurdity of having one city not under state law.