Nh Marriage

rleighkr

Marriage may be solemnized by a justice of the peace as commissioned in the state; by any minister of the gospel in the state who has been ordained according to the usage of his or her denomination, resides in the state, and is in regular standing with the denomination;

This is a quote from the NH law on who can perform marriages in this state. I'm wondering if it disallows me (as an ULC minister) to perform a marriage here. The section, "by any minister of the gospel in the state..", has me confused. Does it mean the church must be based in NH? Any thoughts on this would be helpful as my friend would like me to perform her marriage ceremony in a few weeks time. I've tried the Town Clerk but she wasn't sure either. Thanks!!

• Administrator

Marriage may be solemnized by a justice of the peace as commissioned in the state; by any minister of the gospel in the state who has been ordained according to the usage of his or her denomination, resides in the state, and is in regular standing with the denomination;

This is a quote from the NH law on who can perform marriages in this state. I'm wondering if it disallows me (as an ULC minister) to perform a marriage here. The section, "by any minister of the gospel in the state..", has me confused. Does it mean the church must be based in NH? Any thoughts on this would be helpful as my friend would like me to perform her marriage ceremony in a few weeks time. I've tried the Town Clerk but she wasn't sure either. Thanks!!

Generally, the interpretation is "by any minister in the state", "resides in the state", "and is in good standing."

This is not to say that NH may not interpret it differently should someone or something cause the wedding to come under the magnifying glass... The clerk is not going to be of any assistance unless NH requires ministers to be registered with the clerk. The clerk cannot interpret the law for you, only assist you in performance of proper procedures. (And registration only if NH requires registration.)

Your best bet aside from legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in NH, is other ULC ministers in the state. Hopefully there is someone here that is from NH, but I don't remember anyone. Most mainstream ministers will likely mock you for even thinking of doing this...so advice from them is usually useless.

And, I don't recall any case law applicable to NH. If it were me, I would do it. But then I am a maverick and like a good fight... so am willing to take the chances others may not. Your mileage may (will) vary.

as i read it,you are covered under the law.now if your concerned about the"good standing" part,write to hq,enclose a small donation and have them write you a letter of good standing.not requried,but if it did go to court,that is just one more piece of evidence in your favor.

and as mr taylor said,i'd do it for them.but that's me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have performed marriage ceremonies in NH., however I am a resident of Maine. I had to apply to the state of NH, pay a small fee, and receive an embossed permission document from NH. That original document has to be returned, along with the original marriage license, to the county clerk. There were two separate forms that I had to choose between... One was for clergy that are ordained and the other was for lay clergy. Since you are ordained I suspect (but am not certain), no questions will be asked. I also suspect that since many retired ministers, or clergy who may relocate to NH but who are not actively engaged in a specific parish, continue to perform wedding ceremonies for suplemental income, that questions about your church will likely not be asked.

I have generally found it best to only ask questions that directly apply to the task of receiving permission. If there is actual case law that goes against my ability to perform a marriage ceremony I will respectfully decline in the spirit of "doing that which is right." I am aware of no such case law in New Hampshire.