You'Ve Been Exiled To A Penal Colony On An Island

Ok you've been exiled to a penal colony on a island for 10 years and get to take 5 books with you.

What 5 do you choose?

My list would be:

1) The Cloister and the Hearth - (1861) is a historical novel by the English author Charles Reade. Set in the 15th century, it relates the story revolving about the travels of a young scribe and illuminator, Gerard Eliassoen, through several European countries. The Cloister and the Hearth often describes the events, people and their practices in minute detail. Its main theme is the struggle between man's obligations to family and to Church.

2) The Nature of Personal Reality by Jane Roberts as channeled by Seth

3) A Course in Miracles by the Inner Peace Foundation

4) Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkein......I know I'm cheating but why do you think I got sent to the penal colony in the first place!

5) The Spiritual Path - Buddha Zen TAo Tantra by OSHO

The Bible almost made my list but I figure one of the other inmates or RevRainbow when he would come visit would let me borrow his

• Administrator

"How to build a boat using a coconut and some string"

"Survival for Dummies"

"What do to when there's nothing to do."

and probably some kind of plant and insect book so I know what I can eat and what will hurt me badly.

I'd kill myself before I'd spend 10 years in a penis colony.

Did Jack Kevorkian write any books?

Prescription Medicide: The Goodness of Planned Death (Hardcover) by Jack Kevorkian

I heard it comes with a cute little bookmarker laced with some type of candy.

A penal colony, hey? Of course I would bring my bible, I mean, prisoners are pretty gullible (and a captive audience) and, heck, I could start my own cult, and...if the guards are Marines, it's a double whammy!*

* RR is being facetious and does not plan to start his own cult. He does, however, make the point that he has a special understanding of sacred writings and is willing to share with anyone who is gullible open minded about choosing a spiritual leader and financially supporting his endeavors (food rations and cigarettes are also acceptable forms of tribute). Female members will have special privileges based on their willingness to minister to the needs of the clergy (sorry, guys, I'm not gay - not that there is anything wrong with that!)

**Please note, that as your spiritual leader, all books you may bring to the colony must first be read and approved and contain my nihil obstinate obstat. Books with photos and/or pictures will be more thoroughly scrutinized. Enjoy your stay and remember...Together we can!

Edited by RevRainbow

hmmm, 5 books I haven't read yet but would be pretty sure I would read again.

1) The oldest English translated bible (translated from French a few years before king James.) since I would have Rainbows to steal and compare notes from.

2) Under the fence in 80 days

3) Brewers Bible with a few extra recipes sewn in to add flavour

4) What to do when there's nothing to do and nothing to do it with.

5) 2,000,000 humorous quotes and other assorted jokes. So RR would have something fun to read after I stole his well used and possibly tattered bible.

You can borrow my bible if I can borrow the Brewer's Bible. Man, I almost forgot about the beer! I can get the parts we need from the dispensary with a little bribing...

What do you mean? The beer is the bribe; especially if the guards are marines.

:P

After all why go under the wire if you can go out the gate.

• 3 weeks later...

I would take the following books:

1. The Srimad Bhagavad Gita in Spanish;

2. A Roman Catholic Bible in Spanish;

3. The Dhammapada of Buddha;

4. "The Gnostic Bible" Edited by Willis Barnston & Marvin Meyer

5. The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa.

I hope it is a tropical island.

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

5. The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa.

I hope it is a tropical island.

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

That last one sounds interesting I have to find a copy of that and read it.

Yes it is a tropical island.