Registering With State Or County

TomG

Hey Everyone:

I know that at that this particular question comes up all the time, but here it is again. Do I have to register with my county as a minister in order to function in that capacity? Does anyone know about the requirements in Mississippi in particular?

What is needed and what do we do to become "recognized" as a ordained in our counties? I know each state is different. Please advise.

Tom

I live in Arizona, Gilbert to be exact and it seems that when I went to my City Hall recently to try to register they didn't know anything about how to Register as an Ordained Minister. If someone has any information as to where I might need to go or what I need to do please e-mail me at: weavingdreams-at-cox.net

Please title your response as Registration for Ordained Minister in Arizona. Thank you. Sincerely, Eiledon

Edited by Eiledon

I live in Arizona, Gilbert to be exact and it seems that when I went to my City Hall recently to try to register they didn't know anything about how to Register as an Ordained Minister. If someone has any information as to where I might need to go or what I need to do please e-mail me at: weavingdreams-at-cox.net

Please title your response as Registration for Ordained Minister in Arizona. Thank you. Sincerely, Eiledon

i wasn't aware arizona requried registeration.last i knew they didn't.unless it's a county requirement,which it doesn't sound like.

i wasn't aware arizona requried registeration.last i knew they didn't.unless it's a county requirement,which it doesn't sound like.

I was told that even though it isn't a requirement it was best to register. So of course I tried to register with my City Hall here in Gilbert and no one knows where or how I should register. If there is an answer as to how and where Please some one send me the info. Thank you Eiledon.

I was told that even though it isn't a requirement it was best to register. So of course I tried to register with my City Hall here in Gilbert and no one knows where or how I should register. If there is an answer as to how and where Please some one send me the info. Thank you Eiledon.

My guess is that if no one knows how or where, it's probably because there's no such thing as registering. Of course, I could very easily be wrong about that.

Look in the phone book for your county Clerk of Court Office. They should be able to supply info for you.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have always wondered how the county would react to a ULC ministers credentials. I would hate to perform a marriage only to find out that I wasn't "qualifed" to perform such marriage. Can you imagine the horror of having to tell the family your credentials weren't valid in your state!!!

How dos one go about getting a "letter of good standing" from ULC. Is this what you would take to the county clerks office for verification of ordination or would your pocket ID suffice.

Again, I appreciate any help you guys and gals may offer. I guess, as suggested, I should just talk to the county clerk or maybe an ordained minister that has gone through the process--United Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal or whatever--to see what they had to do once they were ordained by their particular church.

Tom

My guess is that if no one knows how or where, it's probably because there's no such thing as registering. Of course, I could very easily be wrong about that.

Look in the phone book for your county Clerk of Court Office. They should be able to supply info for you.

The simple answer is that there is no requirement and unless one county is different than the others (can happen) there is no method set up for registering as a minister in Arizona. If you wish to register your church/religious group and file for tax exemption that is a different function and they should be able to tell you what you need to do at the county clerks office. There will be more than one place to file papers but in general the clerks office is the place to start the process of legal research.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have always wondered how the county would react to a ULC ministers credentials. I would hate to perform a marriage only to find out that I wasn't "qualifed" to perform such marriage. Can you imagine the horror of having to tell the family your credentials weren't valid in your state!!!

How dos one go about getting a "letter of good standing" from ULC. Is this what you would take to the county clerks office for verification of ordination or would your pocket ID suffice.

Again, I appreciate any help you guys and gals may offer. I guess, as suggested, I should just talk to the county clerk or maybe an ordained minister that has gone through the process--United Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal or whatever--to see what they had to do once they were ordained by their particular church.

Tom

from what i gather about arizona,we are recognized,so preforming a marrige ceremony there under the law is not a problem,provided you follow the laws.go to your states website and click on the marrige laws.after an hour of your eyes going in and out of focus,you should find what your looking for.

i think(not to often,it gives me a headache)that you are setting up more hurdles for yourself than are there.

as far as a letter of good standing,you write to ulc hq and request one.give them the date of your ordanation,and inclose a donation to cover costs(not requried,unless it's for a noterized copy,and i don't believe arizona requries one)and you'll get it in about 2 weeks.this is really only requried for states that require regrestration(and nyc),or other groups that require proof of ordanation,and a certificate is not acceptable.it is also good for requesting a letter of sponsership in an area such as wisconsin.

personelly,if you wish to talk to other ministers,do so,but don't be suprised if they don't know what your talking about.your states government website is a good place to start,then the county clerks office.

hope you find what your looking for.

• 2 months later...

I am curious if anyone has any experience about registering in Indiana and what requirements are necessary. I am just now ordained and would like to figure this out because I have a friend that is interested in doing the same before long. She is simply waiting to see what I must go through first.

why do people read more into a law than what's there.there is no regrestration in indiana.it is one of the easier states to preform a marrige in(texas being the easiest).if you read the state laws,which apperantly wasn't the case,you will find out some good information,which is what i did when i moved here from michigan.

I have been ordained since 2007....I preformed my first wedding tonight. I never gave it much thought that I might have to be registered in my own county/state. I have been trying to find answers online and I guess Im just not quite understanding what this is saying...can any of you help. I live in Iowa. From what this says I am understanding I don't need to register with state that my ULC is good enough??

Iowa

595.10 Who may solemnize.

Marriages may be solemnized by:

1. A judge of the supreme court, court of appeals, or district court, including a district associate judge, associate juvenile judge, or a judicial magistrate, and including a senior judge as defined in section 602.9202, subsection 1.

2. A person ordained or designated as a leader of the person's religious faith.

Thank you,

Tonya Oldfather

based on what you showed(and this is not legal advice)you would be correct.however,since you already preformed the ceremony(and i am guessing,officated same)it's a little late to ask now.

i don't know what the penalities are in your state for doing that without authorization,but in some states,it can be quite strict,and can cause the couple all kinds of grief.the time to check all that out is before you officate,not after.

just as an aside,personal observation only:the states that have other requirements usually spell that out in their states laws.a check of your states website would confirm that.some counties have their requirements also,so it's a good idea to check with the county clerks office if you have further questions.just identify yourself as a new minister,and you were wondering what if any requirements they had concerning officating.dress professional,and chances are,if it isn't in the state laws(after you look them up and read them)then it isn't a county thing either.but as i said,this is not legal advice,and only worth what you paid for it.

I live in Minnesota and do Iowa weddings and as far as I know there is no 'registration' requirements for being a clergy member and doing weddings in Iowa.

Joe

I have been ordained since 2007....I preformed my first wedding tonight. I never gave it much thought that I might have to be registered in my own county/state. I have been trying to find answers online and I guess Im just not quite understanding what this is saying...can any of you help. I live in Iowa. From what this says I am understanding I don't need to register with state that my ULC is good enough??

Iowa

595.10 Who may solemnize.

Marriages may be solemnized by:

1. A judge of the supreme court, court of appeals, or district court, including a district associate judge, associate juvenile judge, or a judicial magistrate, and including a senior judge as defined in section 602.9202, subsection 1.

2. A person ordained or designated as a leader of the person's religious faith.

Thank you,

Tonya Oldfather

based on what you showed(and this is not legal advice)you would be correct.however,since you already preformed the ceremony(and i am guessing,officated same)it's a little late to ask now.

i don't know what the penalities are in your state for doing that without authorization,but in some states,it can be quite strict,and can cause the couple all kinds of grief.the time to check all that out is before you officate,not after.

just as an aside,personal observation only:the states that have other requirements usually spell that out in their states laws.a check of your states website would confirm that.some counties have their requirements also,so it's a good idea to check with the county clerks office if you have further questions.just identify yourself as a new minister,and you were wondering what if any requirements they had concerning officating.dress professional,and chances are,if it isn't in the state laws(after you look them up and read them)then it isn't a county thing either.but as i said,this is not legal advice,and only worth what you paid for it.

Ya I thought the same thing. I looked before hand and had called our county clerk and they told me they didn't know the answer (actually didn't know what I was talking about) just told me that I had to return the license in 15 days...and I had tried to look on web sites so I thought I was ok. The couple came to me a week in advance so I didn't have alot of time to prepare....Hoping for everyone sake all is well. I would feel so horrible if things went wrong. Thanks for all your advice guys.

A family member asked her attorney friend in Washington State about me doing a marriage in WA. She said the law is so loosely interpreted that if a couple were married and it later turned out that the person wasn't ordained the marriage would still be considered legal due to the couple's belief that it was an ordained minister. Obviously the paperwork has to be returned to the appropriate entities for validation, but the point is how the state interprets their own laws. I chuckled when I heard that from the attorney.

Edited by Stretch_8