Tolerance Of Those Who Do Not Believe...

We always talk about tolerance of religion on this forum, but the fact is, the majority of intolerance occurs to non-religious folks...

Though we are the largest minority group, our lack of beliefs still is looked down upon. You can't mention someones ethnicity, or their religion, but it's okay to talk about someone who doesn't believe. The word atheist is hardly used by atheists; even me, who is very open and vocal about my opinions does not tell certain people I'm atheist because I know they will not accept me and it will cause hardship. For example, my wife's family is very religious, if they knew I was atheist, they would pressure her so much that it would put a strain on her relationship with them, and on us, so I'm forced to keep my mouth shut so she doesn't lose contact with her family, or our relationship is not strained...

Why is this so-called tolerance not given to non-believers?

I wonder how many atheists and agnostics there are in Congress. Right now I think "you people" are represented by a total number of 0 self proclaimed atheists. Isn't there something about taxation without representation?

The atheists here seem to be a rather intelligent bunch. Does that mean since there are none in Congress that atheists are too smart to run fior office or that Congress is a few fries short of a happy meal?

I wonder how many atheists and agnostics there are in Congress. Right now I think "you people" are represented by a total number of 0 self proclaimed atheists. Isn't there something about taxation without representation?

Rep. Pete Stark

The atheists here seem to be a rather intelligent bunch. Does that mean since there are none in Congress that atheists are too smart to run fior office or that Congress is a few fries short of a happy meal?

Americans Will Vote For Anyone But An Atheist

That's because politicans pander too much to what they believe is what the people want. We tried that in 2 elections, and dems lost. When Obama did not pander to the right, he won easily. Unfortunately, once these guys get in office, it's our job to remind them all why we put them there...

Thank you by the way...

We always talk about tolerance of religion on this forum, but the fact is, the majority of intolerance occurs to non-religious folks...

Why is this so-called tolerance not given to non-believers?

I don't agree with the premise. Almost everything in our society is geared toward secularism.....government, media, edukation, the economy, technology, etc.... Just because some folks cannot relate to non-believers doesn't mean they are not getting their fair share of tolerance. Quite on the contrary.

Having known a few of them over the years I can say that many members of congress are half a container of fries short or more. Collectively the congress may be one fry toward a large meal. There is a bunch of ne'er do wells but they do know who to hire to get re-elected.

Also having known a few of them over the years I think they are all pretty much agnostic. They leave nothing to belief other than their own pretended knowledge.

If there ever was a really religious man in congress I think it would have been Gerry Ford before he became Speaker. Still, he was almost always a politician.

Edited by simplicitys-brother
I don't agree with the premise. Almost everything in our society is geared toward secularism.....government, media, edukation, the economy, technology, etc.... Just because some folks cannot relate to non-believers doesn't mean they are not getting their fair share of tolerance. Quite on the contrary.

We are not a protected class, just as white males are not a protected class. If a boss makes an insulting statement about religion, or race, one could find a lawyer immediately and sue. When it comes to sexual harrassment from a mans position, or race, from a white mans position, or views, from an atheists position, there is no recourse for a hostile work environment as we are not part of a protected class. So again, there is less tolerance towards those who do not believe by all religions. Of course Christians don't tolerate anyone, not even other Christians, which is why they make distinctions always about what is a "real" Christian and what is not...

The courts have repeatedly ruled that atheism and other forms of non-belief have the same legal protections as a religion.

As for tolerance... The need to tolerate gays didn't show up on most people's radar until there were enough empty closets.

Edited by mererdog

The courts have repeatedly ruled that atheism and other forms of non-belief have the same legal protections as a religion.

As for tolerance... The need to tolerate gays didn't show up on most people's radar until there were enough empty closets.

Indeed...I'm most concerned about a "reverse discrimination' effect, as we see in the past "liberating" certain groups did not lead to peace and understanding.

I agree. I have always been 100% for affirmative action, and other topics. If some of you recall, some of my biggest arguements when I first joined this forum were in support of affirmative action. I changed this position after a few incidences which made me no longer feel it was an appropriate system.

The point is, equality, with everything. No person should have less rights than another in our society; other than those that lose rights due to behavior (crime).

We are not a protected class, just as white males are not a protected class. If a boss makes an insulting statement about religion, or race, one could find a lawyer immediately and sue.

The fact that people "find a lawyer immediately and sue" is a horrible testiment to our hyper-sensitive society, and that fact that we even have 'protected classes' of people is disgusting to me........but of course, my HR Director will never hear me make such utterances. All people

However...

When it comes to sexual harrassment from a mans position, or race, from a white mans position, or views, from an atheists position, there is no recourse for a hostile work environment as we are not part of a protected class. So again, there is less tolerance towards those who do not believe by all religions.

....Rest assured, that if you feel threatened in the workplace because you are an atheist, you would most certainly have recourse for harrassment despite atheism not being a legally protected class. You have every right to work in a respectful, harrassment-free workplace regardless.....it's the law.

But more to the point: The fact that atheism isn't a "protected class" does not in ANY way equate to society's intolerance.

We should NOT add every little group in the world to some 'protected class,' we should instead eliminate 'protected classes' altogether and treat all people the same.

Of course Christians don't tolerate anyone, not even other Christians, which is why they make distinctions always about what is a "real" Christian and what is not...

In a thread about getting/having/seeking tolerance, you precisely illustrate intolerance in your bigoted and sweeping judgement of Christians. It undermines your position, and so you may wish to re-think it and paint with a much, much smaller brush.

I changed this position after a few incidences which made me no longer feel it was an appropriate

Good, because affirmative action is not only very discriminatory, but it is also bad business and governance. Meritocracy is the only fair way to treat people....but libs don't like it because it means someone has to be on the bottom, and that is "unfair."

The fact that people "find a lawyer immediately and sue" is a horrible testiment to our hyper-sensitive society, and that fact that we even have 'protected classes' of people is disgusting to me........but of course, my HR Director will never hear me make such utterances. All people

However...

....Rest assured, that if you feel threatened in the workplace because you are an atheist, you would most certainly have recourse for harrassment despite atheism not being a legally protected class. You have every right to work in a respectful, harrassment-free workplace regardless.....it's the law.

But more to the point: The fact that atheism isn't a "protected class" does not in ANY way equate to society's intolerance.

We should NOT add every little group in the world to some 'protected class,' we should instead eliminate 'protected classes' altogether and treat all people the same.

In a thread about getting/having/seeking tolerance, you precisely illustrate intolerance in your bigoted and sweeping judgement of Christians. It undermines your position, and so you may wish to re-think it and paint with a much, much smaller brush.

No, there is no protection actually, look on the California state website which only lists certain classes as protected. I have spoke with attorney's and was told that I had no chance of wining a lawsuit, which was not frivolous in the least. That does not mean I believe we need protected classes either, this was about tolerance, as I don't believe in additional protection other than equal protection; as with hate crimes etc, which make no sense, a crime is a crime...

Nothing was said about all Christians, but rather my experience with most Christians. Fair enough though, I will still use a lot of paint, but will try using a smaller brush next time! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Amulet locked this topic