Training For Pre-marital Counseling

CharityMBurkett

Does anyone know anything about training to be certified to give pre-marital counseling? Tn is one of the states that gives a discount for doing the counseling; marriage lic. are about $100 and you get a $60 discount if you take the counseling. They have a form that has "qualified" people to administer the counseling, it has to be signed off on by one of these people. They have all your clinical counselors and all but they also have "clinical pastoral therapist" listed. Not quite sure what that means but I was wondering if anyone knew of a course, certificate type program I could take to be able to give this counseling.

• Administrator
(B) All individuals who participate in a premarital preparation course shall choose from the following list of qualified instructors:

(i) A psychologist as defined under § 63-11-203;

(ii) A clinical social worker as defined in title 63, chapter 23;

(iii) A licensed marital and family therapist as defined in § 63-22-115;

(iv) A clinical pastoral therapist as defined in title 63, chapter 22, part 2;

(v) A professional counselor as defined in § 63-22-104;

(vi) A psychological examiner as defined in § 63-11-202;

(vii) An official representative of a religious institution that is recognized under § 63-22-204; or

(viii) Any other instructor who meets the qualifying guidelines that may be established by the judicial district for the county in which the marriage license is issued.

Does that give you a starting place, or do I need to continue?

Does that give you a starting place, or do I need to continue?

I looked up all the state laws. Have 'em all printed in a binder witht he rest of my other materials. It basically says that the clinical pastoral counselor has to be affiliated with a clinic. I don't know how or if I even can get trained to do the counseling. I also read in the laws that if you do say or do the counseling and aren't "certified" then it is a Class B misdemeanor. I've got a clean record and would like to keep it that way. I found where I could take a course that includes pre-marital counseling but you also have to take the teen counseling, marriage counseling, drug counseling, child psychology, and a bunch of other stuff. Looked like an entire psych. degree to me. Anyhow, I'll keep looking. Thanks for the info though.

(vii) An official representative of a religious institution that is recognized under § 63-22-204;

This reads as though it might be for what you are looking. There is a Christian Counselor correspondence program for which I receive notices in the mail occasionally I will see if I can find one of those mailings if you are interested.